Red Symbol Where Orientation Usually is
4669 15 2020-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlashNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391709 ft
United States

I probably missed something obvious in the documentation...but I noticed a couple of times during flight the orientation area in the dji fly app (center bottom) turned into a red rectangle with a line through it. What does that mean? I may have been flying in sport mode at the time.

2020-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It means the controller is not able to access the compass information from your phone.
2020-6-20
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-20 21:35
It means the controller is not able to access the compass information from your phone.

Is it something I should worry about? I saw it for the first time today using an iPad Pro.
2020-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FlashNY Posted at 6-20 21:39
Is it something I should worry about? I saw it for the first time today using an iPad Pro.
  • Turn on your iPad.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap on Privacy.
  • Select on Location Services.
  • Check the Compass is ON.
2020-6-20
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-20 21:54
Is it a cellular iPad Pro, or non-cellular ?

Cellular, but no SIM
2020-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FlashNY Posted at 6-20 21:56
Cellular, but no SIM

Sorry, I edited that, see my previous post.
2020-6-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Does it look like the picture below? If yes, it means the mobile device’s GPS is poor and the app cannot calculate the relative position of the aircraft and mobile device. At this time, the indicator does not show the GPS status of the aircraft. The GPS status of the aircraft can be checked through the number of satellites and GPS signal strength shown at the top of the app. navigation.png
2020-6-21
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

This is very interesting.  I just asked the same question in a different post.  I too am using an ipad pro and having the same issue
2020-6-21
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

My iPad doesn't show "compass" under privacy/location.

So, if the satellite info at the top right is good than I'm ok?
2020-6-21
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I've noticed that, on my Apple phones and DJI Fly, the compass doesn't work or loses accuracy when it isn't close to parallel to the ground.
2020-6-21
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-21 01:38
Does it look like the picture below? If yes, it means the mobile device’s GPS is poor and the app cannot calculate the relative position of the aircraft and mobile device. At this time, the indicator does not show the GPS status of the aircraft. The GPS status of the aircraft can be checked through the number of satellites and GPS signal strength shown at the top of the app.[view_image]

Yes, it does. It was weird. I have used my iPad Pro several times without issue. I switched to Sport mode and let the drone travel a little further and it started happening. I guess it must have been a coincidence.
2020-6-21
Use props
HoosierFlyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131516 ft
United States

Ive seen this happen several times while using my iPhone X.  I honestly think the phone just loses compass or gps info, not sure if it’s a bug in iOS or it’s really struggling to obtain compass or gps sats. It usually comes back after a couple minutes during flight.
2020-6-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimmyPickles Posted at 6-21 05:59
My iPad doesn't show "compass" under privacy/location.

So, if the satellite info at the top right is good than I'm ok?

Hi Yimmi,

The aircraft orientation indicator (AOI) is a usefull option but not neccessary to have a safe flight.
In the top bar you see the GPS numbers your drone is using.

Position of your drone on the map view is only with data from your drone. So using map view you can fly back home if you are 'lost'.

the AIO gets its info from you drone (direction of the arrow), for the postion on the forward 180 degree scale data is derived from your mobile device compass.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

FlashNY Posted at 6-21 07:50
Yes, it does. It was weird. I have used my iPad Pro several times without issue. I switched to Sport mode and let the drone travel a little further and it started happening. I guess it must have been a coincidence.

It is not related to Sport mode, just indicates the mobile device's GPS is poor, please ensure you are flying the drone in open area.
2020-6-23
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Hi there, are you saying that it happen intermittent during mid flight? On the other hand, not sure if this video can explain the orientation problem as well as fixing it. Kindly do let me know if it doesnt work.  
2020-6-26
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
Flight distance : 690404 ft
United States

This actually happens to me a lot when I'm stationary with my controller (i.e. eyes glued to screen sitting on a bench). What has fixed it for me is just a slight rotation (~5 degrees) of the controller in any direction seems to enable the orientation tracking. Not sure if this is due to the phones compass getting "stuck" or something but it seems like any slight movement in any direction fixes the problem.

On a side note though, I noticed that sometimes the aircraft orientation as well as location relative to "me", the dot, will be wrong. Not sure if this is related to this loss of orientation indicator.
2020-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules