Powerdown Long Beep 2 Short Beep, Won't Power Off
3247 12 2020-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
Flight distance : 690404 ft
United States

I've run into a weird issue quite a few times with the MA2 where when I am powering off the drone when I press and hold the power button, it will do 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. The propellers will also do the jittering move that happens during startup, but faster. There doesn't seem to be any negative effect on the drone and I just have to press and hold  one or two more times and that usually shuts off the drone.

What is the meaning of that shutdown sequence. I tried finding something in the manual but it doesn't really say.

Thanks
2020-6-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, to power off the drone, please press once, release and quickly press and hold the button. If you did exactly like this, may we have a short video of issue if it happens again?
2020-6-22
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

Please see the attached link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... vc/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately the video was shot during nighttime but since the error is so random, this was the best I could get.

I am not sure what that shutdown sequence means. I have tried different combinations of button presses and I cannot reliably reproduce this. I do know that this is not due to a single press and hold (normal shutdown is short press followed second press and hold) because I have tried just pressing and holding it once and it does not produce this error. Furthermore, not holding the 2nd press long enough or for too long also do not produce this error.

Just as another data point, a friend of mine with a Mavic Air 2 also has experienced this error although it isn't as often for him. He has only seen this happen once in about 20 flights and only saw one of his motors do a weird movement.

My best guess right now is it has something to do with either the drone overheating, the motor overheating, or something that pops up only post flight. I can not reproduce this on the benchtop with a cold battery / drone.
Please advise. Thanks.
2020-6-27
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

Has anybody else seen something like this happen ?
2020-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I see it now. But just because of your post. I also wonder the meaning or indication of those beeps. It is the linking procedure but I was expecting just one beep, not 3 (one long and two short). Perhaps it is an indication that there is no new controller in the area with which to link?
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-28 13:19
Yes, I see it now. But just because of your post. I also wonder the meaning or indication of those beeps. It is the linking procedure but I was expecting just one beep, not 3 (one long and two short). Perhaps it is an indication that there is no new controller in the area with which to link?

Just tried powering off the controller prior to the drone. Also did not exhibit the videoed behavior. Though now that you mention it, the drone does start flashing quickly yellow, which happened in all of the other times this issue has come up, that suggests there is no controller connected. Not sure if these two things are related or my anomaly just happens to flash yellow like that.
2020-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T Posted at 6-28 19:47
Just tried powering off the controller prior to the drone. Also did not exhibit the videoed behavior. Though now that you mention it, the drone does start flashing quickly yellow, which happened in all of the other times this issue has come up, that suggests there is no controller connected. Not sure if these two things are related or my anomaly just happens to flash yellow like that.

You do understand that what you are doing is initiating the linking process that connects the drone to the RC, right? The only mystery is the meaning of the three beeps as that is not specifically mentioned in the manual. Normally when linkning, there is one beep from the drone to indicate the start of the process and two short beeps to indicate the completion.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-28 19:55
You do understand that what you are doing is initiating the linking process that connects the drone to the RC, right? The only mystery is the meaning of the three beeps as that is not specifically mentioned in the manual. Normally when linkning, there is one beep from the drone to indicate the start of the process and two short beeps to indicate the completion.

If you are referring to the yellow lights flashing after I power off the controller, yes. I was just testing to see if having a loss of link and trying to power down would cause the beeping.

Surprised nobody else has had this issue yet, at least nobody who is on the forum.
2020-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T Posted at 6-28 19:59
If you are referring to the yellow lights flashing after I power off the controller, yes. I was just testing to see if having a loss of link and trying to power down would cause the beeping.

Surprised nobody else has had this issue yet, at least nobody who is on the forum.

Read page 35 of the user manual v1.2. What you are doing is not a power down procedure.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-28 20:06
Read page 35 of the user manual v1.2. What you are doing is not a power down procedure.

In the last test, I power down the controller (successfully), then I power down the drone (successfully). I am not doing anything in the "Linking the remote controller" procedure. I am just varying the order of power down.

Also the issue I am noting is starting from a connected state (as seen in the video with the rear lights blinking green), not from an unpaired drone. Thus I do not really follow how page 35 applies, other than the remote linking process just happening to do the 1 beep 2 beep sequence during pairing of an unpaired controller.

But hey, I'll give it a try and repair my controller and see if it has been what I am seeing.
2020-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T Posted at 6-28 20:17
In the last test, I power down the controller (successfully), then I power down the drone (successfully). I am not doing anything in the "Linking the remote controller" procedure. I am just varying the order of power down.

Also the issue I am noting is starting from a connected state (as seen in the video with the rear lights blinking green), not from an unpaired drone. Thus I do not really follow how page 35 applies, other than the remote linking process just happening to do the 1 beep 2 beep sequence during pairing of an unpaired controller.

It applies because what you are doing with just the one press is the linking initiation, not a power down. I am done here.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-28 20:20
It applies because what you are doing with just the one press is the linking initiation, not a power down. I am done here.

I know. I'm pretty sure in my 2nd post I made it clear the difference between a single press and hold and a press followed by a second press and hold.
I guess if the only thing you can think of is page 35, then you are done here =/ Thanks for trying though.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_PrePGix0VM5T
lvl.2
United States

Just another data point, I tried a single long press (longer than I've done before) to force a pairing mode and it does the same 3 beep sequence. So assuming my 2nd press was too quick (or maybe my 1st press didnt depress) maybe it did go into pairing mode. However, based on the timing in the video I only have the button pressed at most 3 seconds (button click at 0:01 and release at 0:03)? I would say closer to 2 than to 4 judging by the battery lights blinking. On the bench the drone will not go into pairing mode until the 4th blink or so, which is about 4 seconds; anything less and nothing happens. Weird...
2020-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules