1, 2, 3 and 4 sec interval for time-lapse required ...
5322 15 2020-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hyperlapse with Mavic 2 Pro ... Great idea, awkward execution ... Shooting time-lapsed sequence in DNG image format is limited to 5 sec interval, while it's DJI's incarnation called Hyperlapse allows for 2 sec interval (!). Unfortunately minimum allowed speed of aircraft is often too fast to render palatable video animation of 10 sec clip. The benefits of shooting DNG sequence is obvious: stunning 5472 x 3648 px image quality, easily competing with the best 6K professional video cameras on the market.

The question is simple: why Hyperlapse mode allows for 2 sec interval with DNG images, but Timelapse photo option in camera settings doesn't?
2020-6-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

If you want a stationary timelapse just use hyperlapse in free mode and just don't fly it anywhere.  Yes its a stupid limitation but you can get round it in that situation.
2020-6-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 6-22 14:00
If you want a stationary timelapse just use hyperlapse in free mode and just don't fly it anywhere.  Yes its a stupid limitation but you can get round it in that situation.

OK, problem solved! I mean, DJI Hyperlapse mode remains useless for me, but venerable Litchi app come up to the rescue with new mission setting "Photo Capture Interval" that can be used to automatically start an interval capture for the entire mission or between specific waypoints. This option overrides 2 sec minimum interval for shooting JPEG timelapse sequence determined by DJI in camera settings, offering as short as 0.1 sec interval (!!!). I was able to shot DNG sequence with 1.0 sec interval, which is exactly what i'm after. Moreover, Litchi allows for flight speed as low as 0.4 m/s (!) between waypoints. Both parameters are critical to achieve smooth hyperlapse video without absurdly galloping clouds and stutter...
2020-6-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-22 22:57
OK, problem solved! I mean, DJI Hyperlapse mode remains useless for me, but venerable Litchi app come up to the rescue with new mission setting "Photo Capture Interval" that can be used to automatically start an interval capture for the entire mission or between specific waypoints. This option overrides 2 sec minimum interval for shooting JPEG timelapse sequence determined by DJI in camera settings, offering as short as 0.1 sec interval (!!!). I was able to shot DNG sequence with 1.0 sec interval, which is exactly what i'm after. Moreover, Litchi allows for flight speed as low as 0.4 m/s (!) between waypoints. Both parameters are critical to achieve smooth hyperlapse video without absurdly galloping clouds and stutter...

Aloha Matt,

Sounds good to your ignorant friend here!  Looking forward to some media!  Referencing what you have done before, this will be good!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Love to see an example of how that works,  so far Ive steered clear of 3rd party apps like that.
2020-6-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 6-23 00:27
Aloha Matt,

Sounds good to your ignorant friend here!  Looking forward to some media!  Referencing what you have done before, this will be good!

Long time no talk, Brother Sea Mammal ... Yes, I will support my findings with examples as soon as Mother Nature supply me with something capture worthy. I've made some successful tests yesterday, but - stupidly - didn't set POI attitude properly and totally missed spectacular cloud formations in the frame. With applied PP Warp Stabilization, however, the video rendered silky smooth and of IMAX screen quality.

Anyway, there's yet another. simplified way to get the HyperLapse effect. Set the waypoint mission with really slow flight between points while recording a video, adjusting playback speed in post production. Flexibility of speed adjustment to achieve desired motion dynamics is a big advantage, but the image quality is nowhere close to what DNG sequence is offering ...

Cheers.
2020-6-23
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

you are wrong. i can shoot 2 secs interval and save original raw files. i dont know what is wrong on your setup
2020-6-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Francis Posted at 6-23 09:32
you are wrong. i can shoot 2 secs interval and save original raw files. i dont know what is wrong on your setup

We are not on the same page, I'm afraid ... Read OP again, please .
2020-6-23
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

now i understood your point. Set time lapse video and check the save original file in raw box.
2020-6-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Francis Posted at 6-23 09:38
now i understood your point. Set time lapse video and check the save original file in raw box.

No, you still don't understand ... I have no problem executing DNG HyperLapse sequence with Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Go 4 app ... It's just useless for what I want to achieve ...
2020-6-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 6-23 00:27
Aloha Matt,

Well, better late than never, Brother Cetacean. Here's a couple of short examples of Hi-Res hyper lapse
video made with Mavic 2 Pro under Litchi app control. Enjoy!

2020-6-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-28 23:52
Well, better late than never, Brother Cetacean. Here's a couple of short examples of Hi-Res hyper lapse
video made with Mavic 2 Pro under Litchi app control. Enjoy!

Aloha Matt,

Nice work.  I usually do not like cityscapes but you made those two videos artfully entertaining.

This whole hyper lapse thing has kind of passed me by and I never saw any value in it.  But, your two videos have perked me up.  It kind of reminded me of some meteorology research I saw using similar technology that demonstrated clouds as a source of water erosion in mountain peaks.

Boring me, I tend to be interested in such things but you did bring hyper lapse to life for me.  I must say, I like the side rotation you include in your rises.  Very interesting!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-6-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 6-29 01:34
Aloha Matt,

Nice work.  I usually do not like cityscapes but you made those two videos artfully entertaining.

I'm not a fan of these bells and whistles either, but Mavic 2 Pro is offering such wonderful imaging capabilities that I was tempted to squeeze much more than DJI's HyperLapse is offering ...
2020-6-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 01:09
Love to see an example of how that works,  so far Ive steered clear of 3rd party apps like that.

Please see provided examples in post #12 ...
2020-6-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-29 12:53
Please see provided examples in post #12 ...

The quality of those are so good I find it heard to believe it was a M2P.
2020-6-30
Use props
djiuser_uc32j6jUCeHc
lvl.1

Thailand

I agree it's completely unacceptable that we don't have shorter than 5 seconds timelapse intervals. With my fimi drone I had 1 second timelapse intervals but with my new DJI drone I have 5 seconds.
I'm so sad.
2023-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules