Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FORWARD TRACE APAS NOT WORKING
12Next >
4468 74 2020-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Hello DJI Yesterday I've made many tests with APAS in trace following.
I have the last firmware.0250 and  DJI FLY 1.1.5 Some times the APAS works ok but most of the time it gets crazy. It works and stops working without any obstacle in front by saying that the space is very narrow even if there is nothing all around. Other times it automatically without any obstacles and without losing the target turns into spot mode. Even the backward APAS without any camera only the sensors work perfectly even in very very narrow spaces.
I think you should fix this because there are many crashes and not only that. Even the front obstacle sensors do not stop to avoid the crash of the drone.

That's it

Here is my video

Check it all to see all the APAS work
Check the malfunction and backword:

01:14 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
02:07 BACKWARD PERFECT APAS
02:56 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
04:12 WHY DID NOT AVOID IT?
04:54 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
05:10 WHY DID NOT AVOID IT?
08:10 WHY DID IT STOP?

2020-6-23
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

NONE DJI ANYONE?
2020-6-23
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Went out and did nearly an hours flying this evening (latest FW installed) - used various different modes with absolutely no issues what so ever.
2020-6-23
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Went out and did nearly an hours flying this evening (latest FW installed) - used various different modes with absolutely no issues what so ever.
2020-6-23
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-23 15:30

APAS - ACTIVE TRACK is better than before?
2020-6-23
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

i HAVE ADDED THE VIDEO
2020-6-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Based on the video the sensors are detecting the branches within it's flight path, which may cause the drone to stop for safety purposes. For more details about APAS please refer to the image that I will be posting. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

2020-6-25
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You are confused between active track and APAS.
Active track tracks the subject and follows the subject. If subject is lost it will not proceed.
APAS is used when you are flying manually and there is an obstacle then if you move forward to the obstacle, it will try to move around it.
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

him7403 Posted at 6-26 01:17
Active track tracks the subject and follows the subject. If subject is lost it will not proceed.
APAS is used when you are flying manually and there is an obstacle then if you move forward to the obstacle, it will try to move around it.

No I am not confused in ACTIVE TRACK APAS is ON and works by itself. The problem is that even if the drone did not lose the target and there were no obstacles the drone was freezing. This needs to be fixed. I made three tries and onecof them went through without any problem all the eay.
2020-6-26
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Niknik Posted at 6-26 01:48
No I am not confused in ACTIVE TRACK APAS is ON and works by itself. The problem is that even if the drone did not lose the target and there were no obstacles the drone was freezing. This needs to be fixed. I made three tries and onecof them went through without any problem all the eay.

your lucky that the drone didn't crash into the branches. It has limited sensors.
If you want full-fledged tracking then you should get a skydio which has 360 degree sensing.
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-25 21:32
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Based on the video the sensors are detecting the branches within it's flight path, which may cause the drone to stop for safety purposes. For more details about APAS please refer to the image that I will be posting. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

[view_image]

What brunces on its left or right or in front in each occasion there each plenty of space to go to the left or right or bellow. I did this route three times.  Exactly the same route and one time it went through all arount without a problem.

And also sometimes it is like it freezes even with no  obstacles.

Ok I know that the sensors are optical black and white and very low in resolution
And that is causing all the problems but even that is not enough to freeze sometimes. I think that the APAS needs some checking or some bugs that need to be fixed.
Thats my opinion. And I know that You will make it better like all the other functions so I will wait.
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

him7403 Posted at 6-26 01:57
your lucky that the drone didn't crash into the branches. It has limited sensors.
If you want full-fledged tracking then you should get a skydio which has 360 degree sensing.

I have made many tests like this one and worse with out a problem. Sometimes it cant keep up but for unknown reasons and sometimes it works perfect. So I trust it fully of not crashing. I know where the sensors are and I use this path so not to crash. SKYDIO 2 is only for this purpose The mavic Air 2 is for much more than that
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-25 21:32
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Based on the video the sensors are detecting the branches within it's flight path, which may cause the drone to stop for safety purposes. For more details about APAS please refer to the image that I will be posting. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

[view_image]

CHECK this one in a totally clear way does the same. Also, check the second-half try and a new whole try which went almost perfect all the way

Check all the video is small.

2020-6-26
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

You have to remember that the way APAS works, is by creating a 3D map of the environment and then trying to navigate that map.  Once it gets too close to an object that it doesn't have a MAP for, it is too late.  You can try this by starting like 30 feet from a tree and going forward....it will go around it just fine.  Now start like 8 feet from the same tree, and it won't go around it.  Same thing if you go around a turn and it suddenly sees an object, or if it changed altitude or path to go around one object, and may now see an object it didn't see before and not be able to get around.

With that in mind, here are my guesses from the video:

01:14 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
You turned the corner.  It likely did not have a map of the object to know how to get around it

02:07 BACKWARD PERFECT APAS
02:56 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
I suspect because it had changed altitude and moved around a bunch of objects just before it, so no clear map of that object.

04:12 WHY DID NOT AVOID IT?
This one surprises me a little bit.  Best guess is when it first saw that tree, it also saw the tree on the other side and couldn't tell how far apart they were. If you go back to like 4:11, it looks like there might not be room (even though there is plenty or room)

04:54 THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE WHY DID IT STOP
No idea.

05:10 WHY DID NOT AVOID IT?
The branch is thin and my guess it that it didn't "see" it until it almost hit it, and by then, too late to have found a path around it.

08:10 WHY DID IT STOP?
No Idea
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

JEZ2 Posted at 6-26 11:01
You have to remember that the way APAS works, is by creating a 3D map of the environment and then trying to navigate that map.  Once it gets too close to an object that it doesn't have a MAP for, it is too late.  You can try this by starting like 30 feet from a tree and going forward....it will go around it just fine.  Now start like 8 feet from the same tree, and it won't go around it.  Same thing if you go around a turn and it suddenly sees an object, or if it changed altitude or path to go around one object, and may now see an object it didn't see before and not be able to get around.

With that in mind, here are my guesses from the video:

Ok check and the second video and you will see clearly that there is no reason
for doing it. before the update wasnt doing it so bad. The APAS needs upgrade. The logic is good but not so good.
2020-6-26
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
Ireland

I can confirm the same issue. After latest update my front vision sensors are not working at all. Did about 5 flights and every second flight the front obstacle sensors show red. This is in any daylight conditions. On previous firmware I never had this issue
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

B737ng Posted at 6-26 14:22
I can confirm the same issue. After latest update my front vision sensors are not working at all. Did about 5 flights and every second flight the front obstacle sensors show red. This is in any daylight conditions. On previous firmware I never had this issue

No, it's not the same issue. My sensors work great I also checked all of them in DJI assistant over calibration and all six of them were ok. The problem is only software.
2020-6-26
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Ireland

Niknik Posted at 6-26 14:57
No, it's not the same issue. My sensors work great I also checked all of them in DJI assistant over calibration and all six of them were ok. The problem is only software.

Yes I meant software related. They still work but the APAS is coloured red.
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

B737ng Posted at 6-26 15:00
Yes I meant software related. They still work but the APAS is coloured red.

What do you mean red? both of them?
2020-6-26
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Ireland

Niknik Posted at 6-26 15:23
What do you mean red? both of them?

front only
2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

This is because of low light. If you turn front to back you will see the back
2020-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like it avoided objects about 100 times or more and stopped for....maybe 7? I think that was a fairly demanding test. There were no crashes as opposed to some video reviews I have seen.
2020-6-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

APAS is disabled when using intelligent flight modes - so it does not work with Active Track which is an intelligent flight mode. As others have pointed out, including DJI Paladin. Here it is again for you. APAS and Active Track perform totally separate functions. There is no such function as 'APAS-Active Track'. Choose one or the other!

2020-6-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

A J Posted at 6-26 22:49
APAS is disabled when using intelligent flight modes - so it does not work with Active Track which is an intelligent flight mode. As others have pointed out, including DJI Paladin. Here it is again for you. APAS and Active Track perform totally separate functions. There is no such function as 'APAS-Active Track'. Choose one or the other!

[view_image]

I totally dissagree automatic APAS works for active track trace mode. And is totally on
2020-6-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-27 03:05
I totally dissagree automatic APAS works for active track trace mode. And is totally on

You disagree with the manual written by the people who made the drone? OK then LMFAO
2020-6-27
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

A J Posted at 6-27 04:21
You disagree with the manual written by the people who made the drone? OK then LMFAO

It does not say that trace active track is a quick shot and on all active track modes APAS IS ON but especially on trace mode APAS is totally ON
2020-6-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-27 04:35
It does not say that trace active track is a quick shot and on all active track modes APAS IS ON but especially on trace mode APAS is totally ON[view_image]

OMG - people like you actually do exist after all and there was me thinking it was just a myth.

Under the flight restrictions of APAS it is written in the manual that APAS IS DISABLED WHEN USING INTELLIGENT FLIGHT MODES - focus track is under the title INTELLIGENT FLIGHT MODES (read what you just copied) - they are not just quick shots but include all of the focus track options.

Tell me - does your made up APAS-Active Track work? No! I wonder why? Because there is no such thing. Your interpretation of the manual is eye watering!
2020-6-27
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

This thread certainly has entertainment value!
2020-6-27
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

A J Posted at 6-27 04:49
OMG - people like you actually do exist after all and there was me thinking it was just a myth.

Under the flight restrictions of APAS it is written in the manual that APAS IS DISABLED WHEN USING INTELLIGENT FLIGHT MODES - focus track is under the title INTELLIGENT FLIGHT MODES (read what you just copied) - they are not just quick shots but include all of the focus track options.

Then how does it avoids all obstacles?
2020-6-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-27 05:21
Then how does it avoids all obstacles?

You've written thread after thread complaining about APAS when using an intelligent flight mode and you ask such a basic question like that now? Oh boy! Perhaps if you spent more time researching and reading rather than moaning like a petulant child you would be out flying now with a smile on your face. Look it up like I had to! But think about this - why do you think there are two separate toggles in the app to switch off obstacle avoidance and APAS separately... Why do think OA is turned off in Sport mode and Parallel? Why do manual stick inputs turn off OA in trace? Why is APAS TOTALLY DISABLED when using ANY intelligent flight mode (and just to remind you, intelligent flight modes are not just QuickShots). Once you've put the effort in and found the answers you can enjoy eating your crow! Fly safe now.
2020-6-27
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

A J Posted at 6-27 05:39
You've written thread after thread complaining about APAS when using an intelligent flight mode and you ask such a basic question like that now? Oh boy! Perhaps if you spent more time researching and reading rather than moaning like a petulant child you would be out flying now with a smile on your face. Look it up like I had to! But think about this - why do you think there are two separate toggles in the app to switch off obstacle avoidance and APAS separately... Why do think OA is turned off in Sport mode and Parallel? Why do manual stick inputs turn off OA in trace? Why is APAS TOTALLY DISABLED when using ANY intelligent flight mode (and just to remind you, intelligent flight modes are not just QuickShots). Once you've put the effort in and found the answers you can enjoy eating your crow! Fly safe now.

I am not complainig. I want DJI to see it and fix it. In 0300 wasnt doing stop without any reason that cant be explained. In .0250 They have made active track better but something happen in the algorythm and the apas freezes the movement of the drone.
2020-6-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-27 06:13
I am not complainig. I want DJI to see it and fix it. In 0300 wasnt doing stop without any reason that cant be explained. In .0250 They have made active track better but something happen in the algorythm and the apas freezes the movement of the drone.

I give up
2020-6-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Niknik Posted at 6-26 08:38
CHECK this one in a totally clear way does the same. Also, check the second-half try and a new whole try which went almost perfect all the way

Check all the video is small.

Thank you for the additional information, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused, I have sent a PM, please check at your most convenient time. Thank you.
2020-6-28
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

If I've learned anything it's that sometimes the manual leaves something to be desired.  Please look at this video...the guy is in Active Track Trace with APAS ON according to him...start at 1:20 and tell me APAS is not working after seeing the video.  In the middle of Page 23 in the MA2 manual 1.2 at the Caution icon, read the first bullet. If you are flying an Intelligent Flight mode, 4K and 30fps APAS should work as would 1080 and 2.7. Instead of "high resolution" the sentence should read "high frames per second".  Your Reply #33 is laughable. Who's eating crow, now???  
2020-6-28
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

A J Posted at 6-26 22:49
APAS is disabled when using intelligent flight modes - so it does not work with Active Track which is an intelligent flight mode. As others have pointed out, including DJI Paladin. Here it is again for you. APAS and Active Track perform totally separate functions. There is no such function as 'APAS-Active Track'. Choose one or the other!

[view_image]

You didn't really quote the whole limitation.  APAS is disabled when using Intelligent Flight modes AND recording at high resolution.   But there is a mistake here...yes, DJI made a mistake.  In reality, DJI really means to say high frame rate instead of high resolution.  1080p, 2.7K and 4K are already high resolution...the kicker is that frame rates of 48fps or higher would cause APAS to be disabled in Intelligent Flight modes.
2020-6-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 6-28 22:23
You didn't really quote the whole limitation.  It's a compound sentence.  APAS is disabled when using Intelligent Flight modes AND recording at high resolution.   But there is a mistake here...yes, DJI made a mistake.  In reality, DJI really means to say high frame rates.  1080p, 2.7K and 4K are already high resolution...the kicker is that frame rates of 48fps or higher would cause APAS to be disabled in Intelligent Flight modes.

APAS as a function is specifically designed for the drone to avoid obstacles by automatically moving around them whilst being flown manually. Focus track is in an intelligent flight mode. There is no such option as APAS-Active track or please correct me by showing me where this is in the app?

Further more it states "when using intelligent flight modes AND recording in high resolution"... A compound sentence would write 'when using intelligent flight modes in high resolutions' would it not?

Why does it also state in the manual that the aircraft "can not sense obstacles when using parallel" without any reference to resolutions? It is obvious that the drone must integrate an element of the technology used in APAS when flying in active track in certain modes, conditions and settings but APAS and Active Track are not the same thing and the limitations of APAS will not work in a majoirty of conditions when using Active Track.

So, it appears you are the one eating crow sunshine - which I find more sad than laughable given your alleged experience but at least I now know to take your future comments with a pinch of salt!

2020-6-29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

him7403 Posted at 6-26 01:17

Exactly
2020-6-29
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Active track and APAS are two different functions that work together in trace mode.
2020-6-29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-29 02:08
Active track and APAS are two different functions that work together in trace mode.

Correct - automatically and as an integrated function under certain environmental conditions and flight modes but not as a separate entity to manually turn on/off to work together. For example, if you switch to Sport mode in Active track - trace, APAS will auto disengage whilst the drone will continue to perform the active tracking at speeds of >40MPH. However, APAS as a seperate function i.e. avoids obstacles by flying over, under and around them automatically whilst the drone is being flown manually will not work when the drone is flying by way of an intelligent flight mode. So if you attempt to fly the drone manually whilst active tracking APAS, as a seperate function, will not work. Further more, even when flying manually and not using an intelligent flight mode APAS will not work in a high resolution (all of the resolutions on the MA2 are above 'high') at the frame rates stated in the manual i.e higher than 30p.  
2020-6-29
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

A J Posted at 6-29 02:23
Correct - automatically and as an integrated function under certain environmental conditions and flight modes but not as a separate entity to manually turn on/off to work together. For example, if you switch to Sport mode in Active track - trace, APAS will auto disengage whilst the drone will continue to perform the active tracking at speeds of >40MPH. However, APAS as a seperate function i.e. avoids obstacles by flying over, under and around them automatically whilst the drone is being flown manually will not work when the drone is flying by way of an intelligent flight mode. So if you attempt to fly the drone manually whilst active tracking APAS, as a seperate function, will not work. Further more, even when flying manually and not using an intelligent flight mode APAS will not work in a high resolution (all of the resolutions on the MA2 are above 'high') at the frame rates stated in the manual i.e higher than 30p.

Exactly this I was saying from the beginning of this conversation. Maybe I said it in wrong words and I meant something else but this is it. And the problem is that sometimes in a clean of obstacles environment it freezes with no reason but without losing the target. This is what DJI should see why.
In 0300 firmware it was working without this problem.
2020-6-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules