Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Parallel follow mode on Air 2 - crappier than Air 1?
123Next >
7226 104 2020-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

I just updated my Mavic Air 1 to Air 2 in the hope that "everything is bit better" as everyone stated.

Well.. this post is about follow me (active track). I tried it today and the drone almost crashed into a tree. I think is rubish, and I think that Air 2 is below Air 1 at tracking subjects.
I don't ussualy post myself on youtube, but this is for a scientific reason, here's ONE video of the Air 2 changing "lanes" or sides of road:
Another video here:

I set it on parallel follow mode. As i was used with air 1, it should keep the angle and fly on the same side of the road, where there are no trees. But Mavic Air 2 wants to change sides of the road!!!!!! Why? And why is it always trying to get in my back? It won't stay in front of me flying backwards with camera towards me! Air 1 would do that!

I was never a big fan of "active track follow mode" because it always tracks your back: you cannot see yourself, you cannot see the drone. I liked at Air that i could set it from profile (lateral side) or from front and it would fly backwards with the camera pointed at me. I would struggle sometimes but 75 percent of times it would do a damn good job! Now the Air 2 with it's active track 3(?!?!?) does this thing way worse!

I repeat, i wont comment on active tracking from behind because i simply think that feature is not good enough. My face is in front!

2020-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you have a similar clip from the MA(1) ?
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

Yes, actually i have a video from about a month ago from the same spot:

And i made some other tests today:

Here is the new Mavic Air 2 in "parallel" mode:

And here is the old Air 1 in profile mode:

Parallel is the new setting for Air 2, which was profile mode before for Air 1. The Air does a way better job, much more responsive, smooth and precise, while the air 2 goes round changing the angle relative to the point of interest (of me) getting even in the opposite direction of where it started!
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

No one? Everybody's happy with the parallel active track of air 2?
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 10:48
No one? Everybody's happy with the parallel active track of air 2?

Yes I am - sorry you've encountered these issues but my MA2 performs brilliantly using all of the focus track sub modes. You may have a defective unit that needs sending back.
2020-6-24
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 10:48
No one? Everybody's happy with the parallel active track of air 2?

definitely MA had a better parallel tracking than MA2
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

vitaly258 Posted at 6-24 11:10
definitely MA had a better parallel tracking then MA2

am i right??? Do you have some videos? MA2 just turns, and changes angle, it always likes it from behind... mavic air was better in this regard
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 10:53
Yes I am - sorry you've encountered these issues but my MA2 performs brilliantly using all of the focus track sub modes. You may have a defective unit that needs sending back.

That's why I am posting here. I would like to see some parallel tracking from the front of subject, at a relative high speed (even at walking it's doing bad stuff when changing direction). Does yours move ok? Mine is moving late, turning fast. Not happy at all.
2020-6-24
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 11:11
am i right??? Do you have some videos? MA2 just turns, and changes angle, it always likes it from behind... mavic air was better in this regard

yes you are right. all attempts to make a parallel tracking end with MA2 just follows me. especially if you want it to fly in front of you.
2020-6-24
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Works fine for me
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-24 11:59
Works fine for me

Post a video with the drone following you from front. Change direction a few times.
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

vitaly258 Posted at 6-24 11:21
yes you are right. all attempts to make a parallel tracking end with MA2 just follows me. especially if you want it to fly in front of you.

I spoke with dji support and they told me they will try to elevate the problem to the developers. I hope that they will see the problem and correct it.

I want to underline something: this is not about follow - active track! It’s about parallel mode active track, especialy from front or lateral.
2020-6-24
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 12:22
Post a video with the drone following you from front. Change direction a few times.

or when you’re riding bike it's more behind you rather than parallel
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

She always goes left and right and in the end it gets behind. She should not change angle. She should fly with you always looking into the same angle as it started when clicking go. And should fly “parallel” with you as the name perfectly says. Mavic air 1 did that properly!
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 11:13
That's why I am posting here. I would like to see some parallel tracking from the front of subject, at a relative high speed (even at walking it's doing bad stuff when changing direction). Does yours move ok? Mine is moving late, turning fast. Not happy at all.

I've used it about three times and the drone remains parallel to my position flying to the side of me. As I turned and walked in the opposing direction it rolled in that direction at my side. Parallel shouldn't be used for tracking in front or behind the subject - it nearly crashed into that bush as it was moving into a parallel position. You should use AT trace for front and rear tracking. It also has a maximum speed of 26mph in n-mode parallel tracking and 18MPH in trace - switch to s-mode to reach 42.5mph in either if you're on the latest firmware.
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 12:57
I've used it about three times and the drone remains parallel to my position flying to the side of me. As I turned and walked in the opposing direction it rolled in that direction at my side. Parallel shouldn't be used for tracking in front or behind the subject - it nearly crashed into that bush as it was moving into a parallel position. You should use AT trace for front and rear tracking. It also has a maximum speed of 26mph in n-mode parallel tracking and 18MPH in trace - switch to s-mode to reach 42.5mph in either if you're on the latest firmware.
Is this info from the manual? Or where do you get it?
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 13:32
Is this info fron the manual? Or where do you get it?

The behaviour of the drone is based on my experience in flying it - the more detailed info is directly from the manual.
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 13:32
Is this info from the manual? Or where do you get it?

2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

https://youtu.be/1DKxF1bssu4

This is the behavior! It’s a crap.

Parallel means parallel!! PARALLEL! Two lines that never touch !!!

Mavic air 1 did it 2 years ago!!!! I would not be complaining if i havent seen it doing magic “profile” active track, from front from lateral, anyway!

Obs: This is not my video, it’s only a little portion of https://youtu.be/q1Ov1OtHr8w and i hope he wont mind i use it here.

2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 13:35
[view_image]

I must admit i did not read the manual. I will read it tomorrow and will come back here!

But let’s not forget that i have two years of experience with mavic air 1. And that one did the trick! Mavic air 2 is not...
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 13:44

This is the behavior! It’s a crap.

That was one example - looking at his full video this is the reply from the OP of that video...

2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 13:35
[view_image]

“Parallel: the aircraft tracks the subject at constant angle and distance from the side”

Is there in my movies a constant angle??? No. Is there constant distance? No!

It does not work as it should. Sometimes it gives you the impression that it does, but at least 30 percent of time it makes BIG mistakes!
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 13:46
I must admit i did not read the manual. I will read it tomorrow and will come back here!

But let’s not forget that i have two years of experience with mavic air 1. And that one did the trick! Mavic air 2 is not...

And let's not forget that I have four years experience with 12 DJI drones flying nearly 12,000,000 feet and the MA2 has performed perfectly for me. Happy reading.
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 13:49
That was one example - looking at his full video this is the reply from the OP of that video...

[view_image]

He almost got hit by the drone!!! He should be very happy indeed, maybe dji is sponsoring him and that’s why
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 13:53
And let's not forget that I have four years experience with 12 DJI drones flying nearly 12,000,000 feet and the MA2 has performed perfectly for me. Happy reading.

Well you are experienced!

I would like to see a video of your air 2 following you in parallel mode. Make a few turns, left right, as i do in the first video. Post it here!

Maybe i have a defective drone in the end! As you said in the first post.
2020-6-24
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-24 13:49
That was one example - looking at his full video this is the reply from the OP of that video...

[view_image]

this is how so-called parallel works

2020-6-24
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 12:22

Umm, I don’t think so! You are a VERY angry individual and I’d rather leave this discussion between you and DJI (assuming they respond to you - they tend to leave angry postings alone)
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 13:53
Maybe you are sponsored too

Let’s see your video and then we we will talk about “perfect”
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-24 13:59
Umm, I don’t think so! You are a VERY angry individual and I’d rather leave this discussion between you and DJI (assuming they respond to you - they tend to leave angry postings alone)

Sorry if i seem that way. My english is not that good and maybe i cannot write exactly in the best way

I am not that angry. I just want to know why my drone is not performing at least as the mavic air 1
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

vitaly258 Posted at 6-24 13:59

https://youtu.be/kzh9odNGT3w

Thanx for understanding and posting about this issue that dji has with parallel tracking!
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

vitaly258 Posted at 6-24 13:59

https://youtu.be/kzh9odNGT3w

Vitaly, this is all shot in “parallel” tracking?

As i said, maybe as invisible man suggested a little bit too “angry” and i apologies for that, the mavic air 2 does not keep angle and distance from subject in parallel tracking.
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 13:57
Well you are experienced!

I would like to see a video of your air 2 following you in parallel mode. Make a few turns, left right, as i do in the first video. Post it here!

I don't publish videos on here due to the limitations of my computer - plus I'm more into aerial photography but I have no motive to pretend that it works... Believe me, I would be right behind you if it didn't but mine does - simple as that. And no, I am not sponsored by DJI.
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 14:14
I don't publish videos on here due to the limitations of my computer - plus I'm more into aerial photography but I have no motive to pretend that it works... Believe me, I would be right behind you if it didn't but mine does - simple as that.
Thanx for responding AJ.

I apreciate your answer even if we are not on the same page!

Indeed MA2 is a very good drone. It is way better than air1 in almost all aspects. Not in parallel active tracking though!

2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-24 14:19
Thanx for responding AJ.

I apreciate your answer even if we are not on the same page!

We'll agree to disagree on that one. Subtle hint, start the parallel track with the drone facing you from a 90 degree angle. Make sure there are no obstacles in the path of the drone and switch the RC to sport mode. And don't use parallel in a confined space. If you want to track yourself from the front or behind then use AT trace in sport mode if you need >18mph. And make sure you are on the latest fly app version (1.1.15) and DJI FW on the drone, RC and batteries. If that doesn't work then ship it back.
2020-6-24
Use props
Yamaha.r6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 362297 ft
United States

I personally haven't tried active track yet. But that was a damn good save just before crashing into that tree.
2020-6-24
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

From the video, the drone seem to be turning on the other side as to keep the same orientation from the person. The person turn around, so does the drone. In a way it keeps the same angle, but seem to want to keep tracking the same side of the person, rather than keep following him from the same angle. It seem to be able to recognize which orientation the person is and keep at it, that's why it,s turning around, to follow the same ''view'' of the person.  they should have said that it keep the same orientation rather than the same angle. Very weird! I am deciding between Mavic air 2 and Mavic zoom, not sure I will get the air 2. very weird.
2020-6-24
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I completely disagree with your argument - "Air 2 is below Air 1 at tracking subjects"
Air 2 is far more superior at tracking subjects than Air 1 IMO.
But the behavior is changed now, the drone tends to stay behind to track you properly. Even in the parallel mode, it follows the subject a little bit behind.
Be aware that it doesn't have side sensors, so it's easy to crash the drone in parallel mode.
2020-6-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was going to post this yesterday but "forgot". I have also tried the parallel tracking on myself walking about. It does try to switch sides when I reversed direction. I wonder if that is an attempt to keep the same view. I have no prior MA drone with which to compare but it seems like it is actually a smarter method, if not always successful.

See 2 posts above.

2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-24 14:30
We'll agree to disagree on that one. Subtle hint, start the parallel track with the drone facing you from a 90 degree angle. Make sure there are no obstacles in the path of the drone and switch the RC to sport mode. And don't use parallel in a confined space. If you want to track yourself from the front or behind then use AT trace in sport mode if you need >18mph. And make sure you are on the latest fly app version (1.1.15) and DJI FW on the drone, RC and batteries. If that doesn't work then ship it back.

Well AJ, i would have already shipped it back if there weren't other (a few) people who seem to understand what I say. I searched alot of movies of active track 3.0, and in all of them people praise the Active Track of the mavic 2, even if some don't even test it in parallel mode and some seem to not understand what parallel should do.

I will find a spot that's more "open space" to see what the behavior of the drone is in Trace from front and Sport Mode activated as you suggested. I am now afraid to do any tracking with my Mavic Air 2 in the surrounding that i used active track on my older mavic Air 1 with no problems.
For the record, I have had a problem not using the latest fly app, because of some update bug: appstore would say everything is up to date but it actually wasant. I had to manually uninstall and then reinstall the app to get to the latest version. As of the drone, I refreshed the fw using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and made all the possible calibration, in DJI Assistant and from DJI Fly (IMU and Compass Calibration)
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

Yamaha.r6 Posted at 6-24 18:08
I personally haven't tried active track yet. But that was a damn good save just before crashing into that tree.

Yes, luckily the front sensors saw that tree and saved it!

Please try, when you have the time, active track in Parallel mode. Make some U turns, and some 90 degree turns. The drone, as the manual says should "tracks the subject at a constant angle and distance from the side". Mine does not keep any of that constant.
2020-6-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules