Powering on DJI FPV Goggles without antennas attached
9374 4 2020-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_YLSJiCLxHxi9
lvl.1

United States

Hello, the manual for the DJI fpv goggles states nothing about potential damage due to powering goggles without antennas. To my best knowledge two of the antennas on the DJI goggles transmit, and generally transmitters are damaged if used without antennas.

Before I learned about this I powered my goggles on without any antennas on several occasions to watch previously recorded flights. Was I damaging my goggles in the process or is there safety mechanisms built into the goggles to prevent this? If this does damage the goggles  why is nothing said about it in the manual?
2020-6-24
Use props
Fritz Wlan
lvl.2

Germany

DJI never actually responded to this question. A lot of people use the goggles without antennas and no issue was reported yet. Since the Air unit System monitors its temperature and shuts its self down before damage occurs I assume a similar technique is implemented in the goggles too. I would say you are safe to go.
2020-6-24
Use props
djiuser_YLSJiCLxHxi9
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for your response. As much as I think what you said is probably true, I would really like to see one of the DJI engineers make an official comment about this. It is a $500 set of goggles after all, and I'd rather not have go guess when there's a chance I'm causing damage to them.
2020-6-24
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I'd say if your goggles still work, you didn't harm them. Although I would advise against powering them without antennas again, just to be sure. I think a lot of recent analog VTXs like the TBS Unify can run almost indefinitely without an antenna, I'm sure DJI thought of incorporating some kind of protection.
2020-6-25
Use props
SkyPix.US
lvl.1

United States

It's an interesting question.  The experienced in the room ALL say that energizing without attached antenae and you're going to have a bad time.  However, with it being completely omitted from the manual can I "assume" that DJI has introduced safeguards like they have any other parts of the device?
My gut says yes, but I'm gonna play it safe.  With that said, do you or anyone else know of any negative potential with leaving them attached 24/7?  
2021-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules