What does everyone use for their screen?
3871 31 2020-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

Hey everyone,

Thinking of finally jumping in the drone pool after years of being interested and the mini seems like a good intro option for me. I was wondering what most of you use as a screen for the controller that works well with the DJI app? I had bought a DJI Mavic a while back and returned it after reading the app had major compatibility issues with my phone at the time and would cause disconnects frequently.

Right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, just wondering if that is a good phone to be using or if I should be looking to get something else. Also if I upgraded to a tablet, I don't need one with data do I?

Thanks everyone!
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My iPhone XS - it's been flawless flying the Mavic 2 Pro (GO4), Inspire 1 V2.0 (GO) and my current drone the Mavic Air 2 (Fly) since I bought the phone in early 2019.
2020-6-25
Use props
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 6-25 05:53
My iPhone XS - it's been flawless flying the Mavic 2 Pro (GO4), Inspire 1 V2.0 (GO) and my current drone the Mavic Air 2 (Fly) since I bought the phone in early 2019.

Good to know, thanks. Wife is an Apple girl but I switched to Android years ago and just can't make the jump back, but it does seem apple products seem to play nice with dji
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SMODomite Posted at 6-25 05:56
Good to know, thanks. Wife is an Apple girl but I switched to Android years ago and just can't make the jump back, but it does seem apple products seem to play nice with dji

Android has improved on DJI products over the past year or two but yes, the drones come with a lightning connector already installed in the RC which says a lot.

Here is a list of all of the Android devices that are compatible with the DJI Fly app (used with either the Mavic Mini or Mavic Air 2 drones) : -

Android Version V 1.1.5

Requires Android 6.0 or above.

Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy S9+,Samsung Galaxy S9 ,Samsung Galaxy S8+,Samsung Galaxy S8,Samsung Galaxy S7 edge,Samsung Galaxy S7,Samsung Galaxy S6,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,Samsung Galaxy Note8,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,HUAWEI P20,HUAWEI P10,HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro,HUAWEI Mate 10,HUAWEI nova 5,HUAWEI nova 4,HUAWEI nova 3e,HUAWEI nova 2,Honor 8X,Honor V10,Honor 9,Honor 20 Pro,Honor Magic 2,MI10,Mi 8,Mi MIX 2S,Mi MIX 2,Redmi Note 5,OPPO Find X,OPPO R15,vivo NEX,vivo X27,vivo X21,vivo X20A,OnePlus 7,OnePlus 6T,OnePlus 5,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL,Pixel 2 XL,Pixel 2,Pixel,LG V20,LG G6,Sony Xpeial 1
2020-6-25
Use props
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 6-25 06:03
Android has improved on DJI products over the past year or two but yes, the drones come with a lightning connector already installed in the RC which says a lot.

Here is a list of all of the Android devices that are compatible with the DJI Fly app (used with either the Mavic Mini or Mavic Air 2 drones) : -

Thank you for the reply, seeing my phone listed there definitely makes me more comfortable. Think I am going to need to make the jump soon, there were a lot of sales on the mini in the last week or two but I think that was leading up to fathers day. Still under $600 for the fly more with dji care refresh isn't too bad to get into the drone game. Decisions, Decisions lol
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SMODomite Posted at 6-25 06:06
Thank you for the reply, seeing my phone listed there definitely makes me more comfortable. Think I am going to need to make the jump soon, there were a lot of sales on the mini in the last week or two but I think that was leading up to fathers day. Still under $600 for the fly more with dji care refresh isn't too bad to get into the drone game. Decisions, Decisions lol

The Mavic Mini is the only Mavic that I have never flown but is looks to be a great drone to start out with. The fly more combo will be a good start as the extra batteries and accessories will give you more time to fly without charging. Good luck in your decision.
2020-6-25
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Samsung devices are just average for monitoring usage, they rely on a luminous flux sensor installed at the edge of the screen, it usually ends up being covered by the Remote Control tongs, thus limiting the screen brightness as if it were dark. Manual adjustment of the screen brightness to 100% doesn't use the full brightness as that can only be used when brightness is set to AUTO.

You can however get yourself one of those mobile device adapters that bring the clasp out of the original RC's tongs, as long as they don't grab the device in the same place (near or above the sensor) and/or use sun shade that can limit the incoming light, using the device (limited) maximum manual brightness or adjust the bias in AUTO brightness to full blast (which will never be really full unless the luminous flux sensor receives sunlight).
2020-6-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Android has improved on DJI products over the past year or two but yes, the drones come with a lightning connector already installed in the RC which says a lot.

Nope.  At least on the Mavic Mini, there is not a Lightning connector on the aircraft or controller.  Both use a micro USB.  I carry a Android (Moto G7 Power) and my work phone is an iCrapPhone 8.  Normally I use the G7 with my Mini, but I did fly once with the iP 8 just to verify that it works.  It is a substantially smaller screen compared to the G7, so I much prefer to use that.  Both seem to work fine.
2020-6-25
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Using S9 and don't have any problems!
Software works fine and screen is brilliant!
2020-6-25
Use props
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi Posted at 6-25 07:11
Using S9 and don't have any problems!
Software works fine and screen is brilliant!

Thank you for the feedback! Gunna try to make myself wait for a sale but probably won't have the willpower lol. No vacation this summer so want to treat myself to something
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 6-25 07:07
Nope.  At least on the Mavic Mini, there is not a Lightning connector on the aircraft or controller.  Both use a micro USB.  I carry a Android (Moto G7 Power) and my work phone is an iCrapPhone 8.  Normally I use the G7 with my Mini, but I did fly once with the iP 8 just to verify that it works.  It is a substantially smaller screen compared to the G7, so I much prefer to use that.  Both seem to work fine.

Yep. They do attach a micro USB to lightning cable to the RC as standard (out the box) with the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Air 1 and their latest drone, the Mavic Air 2. It appears they do not attach any cables to the Mini remote but include the lightning cable with the other Android cables. And DJI also state 'made for iPhone' on the drone box!
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 6-25 07:07
Nope.  At least on the Mavic Mini, there is not a Lightning connector on the aircraft or controller.  Both use a micro USB.  I carry a Android (Moto G7 Power) and my work phone is an iCrapPhone 8.  Normally I use the G7 with my Mini, but I did fly once with the iP 8 just to verify that it works.  It is a substantially smaller screen compared to the G7, so I much prefer to use that.  Both seem to work fine.

2020-6-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPad mini 4, wifi version.
2020-6-25
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I use my Galaxy S10+. Works great.

Sometimes, it's hard to see the screen. If I move so the phone is in shadow, all I see is reflections of me.
2020-6-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SMODomite. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry on what mobile device are we using for our DJI drones. After check the mobile device ( Samsung Galaxy S8 )  that you want to use.  I am glad to say that this mobile device ( Samsung Galaxy S8 ) is recommended from the DJI Fly application and with both the DJI Mavic Air 2 and with the DJI Mavic Mini. It is great to know that you are planning to purchase a DJI drone. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you.
2020-6-25
Use props
floridapete
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45115 ft
United States

I'm using an 8" tablet from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-8-Android-Tablet-16GB-Storage-2GB-RAM-1-3-GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-LCD-Display/985413352)

with an 8" cable from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKW6RYD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mavicpilots-20).

DJI Fly is working well and the tablet just fits into the RC holders. The longer cable is not stretched at all and fits inside the Flymore case while still connected to the RC with no stress on the mini USB connector.

For transport, the tablet is smaller than the case so a rubber band will hold it well. Thinking of adding a waterproof pocket to the outside of the case to hold the tablet better.

The Walmart ONN 7 inch tablet does not work as it's running 32 bit Android.
Mavic Mini Controller with 8 Inch Tablet 04 Over.jpg
2020-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-25 07:53
Yep. They do attach a micro USB to lightning cable to the RC as standard (out the box) with the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Air 1 and their latest drone, the Mavic Air 2. It appears they do not attach any cables to the Mini remote but include the lightning cable with the other Android cables. And DJI also state 'made for iPhone' on the drone box!

But that is not what you typed. Your line is copied below. There is not lightning connector already installed IN the RC.

"the drones come with a lightning connector already installed in the RC "
2020-6-26
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-26 10:47
But that is not what you typed. Your line is copied below. There is not lightning connector already installed IN the RC.

"the drones come with a lightning connector already installed in the RC "

I also said I've never owned a Mavic Mini but have also stated what drones I have owned that comes with the lightning cable fitted as standard out the box - which is all of the remaining Mavic's. Seems you missed that part...
2020-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-26 10:52
I also said I've never owned a Mavic Mini but have also stated what drones I have owned that comes with the lightning cable fitted as standard out the box - which is all of the remaining Mavic's. Seems you missed that part...

It seems that you missed the part about this being a Mavic Mini section.
2020-6-26
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18307 ft
United States

Originally used my Galaxy S10 then picked up a cheap iPhone7 that runs only the DJI Fly app.  Both work fine.
2020-6-26
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-26 11:01
It seems that you missed the part about this being a Mavic Mini section.

I have replied to the OP and he has responded with his appreciation for the information I have given him - which also included a comprehensive list of every android device he can use with the drone. I really see no point to your pinpointing my comments specifically and being ridiculously pedantic. So if you don't mind go and sooth your inferiority complex somewhere else as you're boring me!
2020-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-6-26
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Ipad Mini 3
2020-6-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 6-26 10:52

I don't know if they package the Mini for different locations but mine came with the Lighting Cable already inserted in the Controller. So I find no issue with your comments AJ

2020-6-27
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I'm in the USA and bought my Mini from Amazon in case that matters.  It was received on 19 May of this year (or a little under six weeks ago).  The controller and the aircraft have a Micro USB on them.  The flyMore combo came with three cables - 1) Micro USB to Micro USB, 2) Micro USB to lightning, and 3) Micro USB to USB C.  I have tested the drone one time with my work issued iCrapPhone 8 using the MicroUSB to lightning cable, but I normally use my Android (Moto g7 Power) so I used the included Micro USB to USB C cable until I bought a Skyreat Mavic Mini Air Pro Foldable Aluminum Metal 4-12" Ipad Tablet Mount Holder which required a longer cable.  Now I use an 11 inch Micro USB to USB C  cable I also bought on Amazon.  In case you are wondering why I bought a tablet holder for my phone (obviously not a tablet), it is because I normally have a protective case on the phone that makes it too thick to mount in the RC.  It was a bit of a pain having to take the case off the phone every time I wanted to fly.
2020-6-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 6-27 04:52
I don't know if they package the Mini for different locations but mine came with the Lighting Cable already inserted in the Controller. So I find no issue with your comments AJ

It seems to be a mix with the Mini depending on what region but all of the other Mavic's have always been fitted with lightning cables as is the latest MA2 - the main point being that it is a renowned fact that DJI drones have historically performed better with iOS devices. As I said in a previous reply to the OP - Android devices have improved these days but go back a year or more and it was a totally different story. Constant disconnects in flight, FW update fails etc using Android whilst I have never had an app crash or FW update failure using iOS on any of the 12 DJI drones I've owned in the 2,300 miles I've flown them over the past four years.

Just go back over some older threads in this forum alone - so, so many complaints from Android users on here. But as I said, it has improved. What cable is attached to the RC in their Mavic Mini is clearly not the main point I was making.
2020-6-28
Use props
shawn_hsprynet.com
lvl.2

United States

I avoid smart phones.  Which tablet computer is the cheapest entry to use DJI Fly with my new Mini?  
2020-6-29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

shawn_hsprynet.com Posted at 6-29 01:49
I avoid smart phones.  Which tablet computer is the cheapest entry to use DJI Fly with my new Mini?

Best you refer to my reply in post 4 to see which Android devices are compatible then do some research in your area to find the best deal on one that is.
2020-6-29
Use props
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

Ended up making the purchase this weekend so hope to have my mini soon. Going to start out using my Galaxy S8 and if I run into issues maybe try to find a friend with an old recent gen iphone to use just for my screen
2020-6-29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SMODomite Posted at 6-29 02:53
Ended up making the purchase this weekend so hope to have my mini soon. Going to start out using my Galaxy S8 and if I run into issues maybe try to find a friend with an old recent gen iphone to use just for my screen

Congrats and happy flying!
2020-6-29
Use props
djiuser_3KZYcAPc7lwh
New

Switzerland

I’m looking at buying the mini 3 but I’m not sure if I can use my phone(iPhone 12) to connect to the rc or if I have to buy the rc with the screen which costs more
2023-5-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_3KZYcAPc7lwh Posted at 5-15 09:11
I’m looking at buying the mini 3 but I’m not sure if I can use my phone(iPhone 12) to connect to the rc or if I have to buy the rc with the screen which costs more

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Choosing between the DJI RC and the RC-N1 (regular remote controller) has its own pros and cons. The DJI RC was rolled out to reduce consumer costs on the basis of DJI RC-N1’s control with mobile phones. With DJI RC, users can fly their aircraft immediately after powering on, without connecting it to a mobile device and debugging. In addition, the product design is more simplified in terms of systems, ports, and buttons, but without compromising its control experience. As for using the RC-N1, your mobile device is compatible.

Therefore, optimal performance can be guaranteed. We hope this can help you decide. Have a nice day!
2023-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules