[Feature Request] Wind data in the app
2848 19 2020-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dsvilko
lvl.2
Croatia

Mavic Mini allready calculates and saves the wind speed and direction (both are available in the DAT log file). I would very much like to see both values from inside the DJI Fly app.

2020-6-25
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I agree
2020-6-25
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What's the column heading for this information in the dat file please? I assume you are looking at the csv version of the file
2020-6-25
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It doesn't calculate wind speed. It calculates the power requires to counter the wind to maintain it's position. When it is using a lot of force to counter a strong wind you get the strong wind warning as a result.
Just get a wind app on your device...
2020-6-25
Use props
dsvilko
lvl.2
Croatia

From the available data Mini is able to calculate the actual wind velocity in m/s and write it down in the log file (Wind:velocity column if I remember correctly). Judging from the smoothness of the resulting graph, the calculated value is quite precise (much better than 1m/s). No weather app can give you accurate real-time wind speed information at your exact location and altitude with that kind of precission.  The actual number would be much more usefull then a simple binary safe / not safe indicator.
2020-6-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dsvilko. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing you insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on DJI please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your support.
2020-6-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Good idea!
2020-6-26
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

I agree, Great idea, hope they will listen!
2020-6-26
Use props
mathogre
lvl.2
United States

I'll amplify this.  I'm very interested in knowing current winds aloft in real time.  I just got my Mavic Mini, my first drone, less than two weeks ago, but I've been working in r&d for many years.  I've worked with wind data from surface to 30,000 meters.  I'm looking at pushing a project at work that would help understand micro meteorology in an urban setting.  I understand wind velocity data is in the .dat files, and I will be looking at mine in the next days, but seeing current wind at altitude in real time could be a big help to me and obviously others.

Thanks for any further consideration in this request!

Graham
2020-11-14
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I definitely agree on adding wind resistance to the app. It would be especially useful for head and cross winds.
2020-11-15
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

Tilt angle and direction are basic parameters for any quadcopter. When hovering this data equates to wind speed and wind direction. I have suggested to use this many months ago and a
DJI robot promised to "cascade" this to their engineers. Result? zilch!
I would be surprised if DJI engineers did not have this obvious idea themselves since years.
It would however lead to less lost drones (remember no warranty or care plan without presenting the drone). Not good for company revenue. It would also help to empower the user. Not good for authoritarian mind sets which need obedience - not thinking about things.
2020-11-15
Use props
djiuser_1CLSIXmPRaPm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 316421 ft
United States

oldhasbeen Posted at 11-15 17:51
Tilt angle and direction are basic parameters for any quadcopter. When hovering this data equates to wind speed and wind direction. I have suggested to use this many months ago and a
DJI robot promised to "cascade" this to their engineers. Result? zilch!
I would be surprised if DJI engineers did not have this obvious idea themselves since years.
I would love to see this too! Ideally with a wind direction indicator right on the screen!

(I just lost my drone due to wind; wind rotated drone while I was returning home, I didn’t notice fast enough and crashed into trees...
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_1CLSIXmPRaPm Posted at 11-20 02:28
I would love to see this too! Ideally with a wind direction indicator right on the screen!

(I just lost my drone due to wind; wind rotated drone while I was returning home, I didn’t notice fast enough and crashed into trees...

wind rotated drone while I was returning home
???
How did the wind "rotate your drone"?
2020-11-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 suggestion
2020-11-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2020-11-20
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dsvilko Posted at 6-25 20:39
From the available data Mini is able to calculate the actual wind velocity in m/s and write it down in the log file (Wind:velocity column if I remember correctly). Judging from the smoothness of the resulting graph, the calculated value is quite precise (much better than 1m/s). No weather app can give you accurate real-time wind speed information at your exact location and altitude with that kind of precission.  The actual number would be much more usefull then a simple binary safe / not safe indicator.

I can’t see how this could be very accurate. In order to calculate accurate wind speed, you need to know your ground speed (which you can derive from GPS data) and your air speed which is not available to the drone. Any wind speed calculated from tilt angle and power used could only be very approximate, at best. For those saying a wind velocity readout would help to eliminate strong wind problems, you already get a strong wind warning from the app. Why do you need to know more accurately what the wind velocity is? It's like having an oil pressure warning light come on in your car. You don't need to know specifically what the pressure is - it's enough to know it's outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer.
2020-11-24
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

Wind speed and wind direction information are essential data for any aircraft and can be derived from tilt angle of the drone during hover.
Take off - go to intended altitude - hover a few seconds - drone will take on certain angles to remain in place. No wind and drone sits at zero degrees. Any wind will result in appropriate fighting angles and the IMU data can be interpreted as wind speed and wind direction.
This is very different to the implemented alarm that does not have any tangible information on wind speed or direction.
2020-11-25
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

oldhasbeen Posted at 11-25 12:05
Wind speed and wind direction information are essential data for any aircraft and can be derived from tilt angle of the drone during hover.
Take off - go to intended altitude - hover a few seconds - drone will take on certain angles to remain in place. No wind and drone sits at zero degrees. Any wind will result in appropriate fighting angles and the IMU data can be interpreted as wind speed and wind direction.
This is very different to the implemented alarm that does not have any tangible information on wind speed or direction.

The wind speed derived from tilt angle can only be very approximate, at best. What about when the blades become damaged or worn and the tilt angle/power has to change to compensate?

"This is very different to the implemented alarm that does not have any tangible information on wind speed or direction." How do you know this? How else would the alarm be triggered?
2020-11-26
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

Tilt angle determines direction and speed of movement. No movement = tilt angles are zero. IMU works very precise to keep drone in GPS determined spot. Even slight wind will cause tilt to counter drifting off location. Tilt is direct expression of counter movement caused by wind. Damaged blades will force change of rotational speed in respective motors - exactly to achieve the needed tilt. Even if the accuracy would be "only" 10 % it would be a tremendous aid. An oil pressure switch tells that a pressure limit is breached - after the event that caused it. An oil pressure gauge allows to monitor, manage and prevent problems. Translate this to the proposals of the thread.
2020-11-26
Use props
walkabout1470
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4583891 ft
Portugal

vortex19 Posted at 2020-11-24 12:39
I can’t see how this could be very accurate. In order to calculate accurate wind speed, you need to know your ground speed (which you can derive from GPS data) and your air speed which is not available to the drone. Any wind speed calculated from tilt angle and power used could only be very approximate, at best. For those saying a wind velocity readout would help to eliminate strong wind problems, you already get a strong wind warning from the app. Why do you need to know more accurately what the wind velocity is? It's like having an oil pressure warning light come on in your car. You don't need to know specifically what the pressure is - it's enough to know it's outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer.

For starters... Strong wind is one thing... Very strong wind is another... and it doesn't even give you a direction!
2023-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules