Mavic Air drifting and spinning
5155 15 2020-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

I have had my Mavic Air for almost 2 years and have not had a single problem with it.  However, recently when i fly it, I noticed that it starts drifting and even spinning a little on its own. I then have to hit the sticks to stop it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a setting that needs to be changed.

Thanks for any help.
2020-6-25
Use props
USS ENTERPRISE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

Does your drone move when you tilt the gimbal up and down?
2020-6-25
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

USS ENTERPRISE Posted at 6-25 19:15
Does your drone move when you tilt the gimbal up and down?

No, it happens when I am not touching anything.  I am not touching the sticks or the gimbal control and it will start a little spin or drift and then I have to use the sticks to bring it under control.
2020-6-25
Use props
DubSound
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NitemareTrainer Posted at 6-25 19:28
No, it happens when I am not touching anything.  I am not touching the sticks or the gimbal control and it will start a little spin or drift and then I have to use the sticks to bring it under control.

Sounds like an RC calibration could do the trick
2020-6-26
Use props
Maple2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

I am having a similar problem, and have tried basically every calibration, non have helped. Its very minor so I'm not to worried, but curious if anyone has a solution
Thanks
2020-6-26
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

Could be China trying to call your Mavic Air return to China mainland? I hope I am wrong
2020-6-26
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

DubSound Posted at 6-26 00:13
Sounds like an RC calibration could do the trick

Thanks a lot. I just calibrated the RC and did the trick.  it works great again
2020-6-26
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Maple2 Posted at 6-26 14:22
I am having a similar problem, and have tried basically every calibration, non have helped. Its very minor so I'm not to worried, but curious if anyone has a solution
Thanks

I just calibrated the RC and it solved the problem
2020-6-26
Use props
Maple2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

NitemareTrainer Posted at 6-26 18:33
I just calibrated the RC and it solved the problem

Thanks, i had already tried that, but maybe i will try again
2020-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there NitemareTrainer. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with your DJI Mavic Air and It is good to know that after calibrating the remote controller of the said drone the issue was resolved. For reference I will post an official DJI tutorial video on how to calibrate the DJI Remote Controller. Thank you and fly safe always.

2020-6-29
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

Maple2 Posted at 6-26 14:22
Thanks

If it isn't the remote you may have issue with one of the motors:
a) do a meticulous visual inspection of the propellers/shafts/legs for dirt/hair/impairments (i.e leg alignment)
b) do an aural/visual inspection of motors while idling for audible/visible differences
c) try cleaning the motors with a strong vacuum
d) try replacing the propellers
2020-6-30
Use props
fans667a77d2
New
Sweden

Hi,

Another one with all the issues described above. I've also done all the calibrations possible several times. No progress. I have replaced propellers. Any other tricks?

It's still spinning...

Cheers
2021-3-14
Use props
Kane8
New

United States

I recently bought a pre owned but like new Ma2.  I first tested all functions (inside the house) and it was perfect. No drift. Then I performed all Dji updates on the drone and controller. The batteries did not need to be updated. Then tested it again. The drifting was pretty bad. I calibrated the controller and no help.
Then I ran the IMU calibration and that fixed the problem. Now its back to 100% perfect. No drift. The firmware update definatly knocked it out of calibration.
Just thought I would share my experience.
2021-4-26
Use props
SuperMarioChamp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221483 ft
United States

Kane8 Posted at 2021-4-26 08:45
I recently bought a pre owned but like new Ma2.  I first tested all functions (inside the house) and it was perfect. No drift. Then I performed all Dji updates on the drone and controller. The batteries did not need to be updated. Then tested it again. The drifting was pretty bad. I calibrated the controller and no help.
Then I ran the IMU calibration and that fixed the problem. Now its back to 100% perfect. No drift. The firmware update definatly knocked it out of calibration.
Just thought I would share my experience.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I have tried remote calibration over and over again. And constantly would have new problems. Sometimes it would drift or spin. Other times it would pitch left/right when the gimble was moving up/down. Often would fix, but next flight problems would be back. Tried IMU cal. It worked! Right after I did that (like immediately after reboot), i got told to update firmware. I did that and the problem returned! did remote cal, drifted left after releasing left input. Did IMU cal, and then remote cal again. All fixed! I'm gonna go fly again now, after I shut it down. See if sticks. If i don't come back to post again, then the drone is all good.
2023-10-2
Use props
SuperMarioChamp
lvl.1
United States

SuperMarioChamp Posted at 10-2 07:13
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I have tried remote calibration over and over again. And constantly would have new problems. Sometimes it would drift or spin. Other times it would pitch left/right when the gimble was moving up/down. Often would fix, but next flight problems would be back. Tried IMU cal. It worked! Right after I did that (like immediately after reboot), i got told to update firmware. I did that and the problem returned! did remote cal, drifted left after releasing left input. Did IMU cal, and then remote cal again. All fixed! I'm gonna go fly again now, after I shut it down. See if sticks. If i don't come back to post again, then the drone is all good.

2nd flight. had slight problems. I have read lots of forums. Tried flying Mavic Air with phone only (Wi-Fi connection). Performs flawlessly. So the controller is the problem. Calibration seems to help sometimes, but my next step is to take the controller apart and clean the problem areas as shown in this video
Edit: link didn't work in forum
I will use DeOxit (if I have any left) instead of isopropyl alcohol.
2023-10-2
Use props
SuperMarioChamp
lvl.1
United States

SuperMarioChamp Posted at 10-2 08:32
2nd flight. had slight problems. I have read lots of forums. Tried flying Mavic Air with phone only (Wi-Fi connection). Performs flawlessly. So the controller is the problem. Calibration seems to help sometimes, but my next step is to take the controller apart and clean the problem areas as shown in this video
Joystick sensor cleaning video
I will use DeOxit (if I have any left) instead of isopropyl alcohol.

link didn't seem to work in previous post. Here it is in long form https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHSE3f7S5c
I did this procedure. I'm fairly handy and this was not easy. the hex is size 1.5. the rest is just tiny phillips bit. you definitely need plastic pry tools. I did bend a tab that made reassembly hard. But this absolutely solved my problem. finished at midnight, so I flew it inside twice. It seemed to work fine. Tested it the next morning outside and it is perfect. My telltale sign that it was a controller problem was that while in calibration mode, one stick movement would simultaneously show input somewhere else. For instance, pressing up on the right stick would show some leftward input on the left stick (or occasionally on the right stick.) Of course, you could have different directions that present in your testing, but I think you get the idea...  Also, i used 70% isopropyl aclcohol, as thats' the best i had on hand. There are better products like DeOxit, and CRD has one as well. But the alcohol did work for now. Since its 30% water, there's a chance that this fix will not last as long as compared to using something else. But work with what you got...
2023-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules