Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FPVLR antennas upgrade
7356 15 2015-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Have any one tested the FPVLR antennas for the Inspire1?

http://fpvlr.com/store/product/inspire-one-advanced-antenna-kit/

Now that our Lightbridge has 25% left of it's original capabilities, I'm figuring I will fork these upgrade and just be happy about the fact that I already spent the buck with the bird and all things considered, I'm still happy with it.

(That's not to say that I'll but DJI again if it's not a product that it's mature and fully developed).

Best fly everyone.
L
2015-6-17
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Did you not say to keep LOS?  If that was your comment, then you don't need this.    I pushed my inspire when I had it out 13,000 feet.   Plenty enough.    I've pushed my phantom 3 out 16,624 feet.    Both of those times, you are pressing the extent of the battery.   That's a limiting factor to consider

Lightbridge still has 100% of its capabilities.  Just on 8 channels.  No longer 32 channels because they interfere with frequencies local cell carriers use.
2015-6-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-6-18 10:29
Did you not say to keep LOS?  If that was your comment, then you don't need this.    I pushed my ins ...

Keep in mind that others may fly in areas with more interference, so what works reliably via line of sight in one place may need extra help in another.  I always worry I'll end up somewhere with interference where I need to fly to capture an important shot.
2015-6-18
Use props
lcoleman
lvl.2

United States

I  have the Basic Kit (antennas, but no boosters). I fly in areas with lots of trees and other obstacles and got it to help with better reception in those areas, not for extreme long distance.  I installed it with no previous experience and everything went fine.

I am very happy with it. I used to lose signal in some areas after 500 - 1,000 feet. Now I regularly fly in those same areas up to 2,500 feet with full bars.
2015-6-18
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

I ordered the amped kit and couldn't figure out the ribbon connector inside the back of the transmitter for the USB board.  Sent my unit to Tony, he got it yesterday, and he put it back in the mail to me last night.
I should have it Friday afternoon, and will post what is does for me.  My stock setup was good for about 8600 feet.  Other than testing for curiosity's sake, I won't be flying out that far.  I'm getting it to make my signal strength stronger and safer.
2015-6-18
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-6-18 19:37
I ordered the amped kit and couldn't figure out the ribbon connector inside the back of the transmit ...

Please let us know how the amped kit works out for you I am interested in this also due to all the trees I must fly around.
Thanks
2015-6-18
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-6-18 21:01
Please let us know how the amped kit works out for you I am interested in this also due to all the ...

This has been my question since it was announced.  I haven't seen a test around obstructions from them.  Basically told to watch as people buy theirs and report their findings.     Personally, I can fly my phantom 3 3,000 -4,000 feet away from my home.   Between me and where I need to go, there are power lines, trees and home.  I normally take off at 250 feet and fly straight over a golf course to take areal shots of the recent flooding.   There's noone on the course at the time or I do it after last tee time so I don't pester anyone.    That's pretty good obstruced.    Otherwise,  15,000 to 16,000 feet unobstructed over farmland.  I'm happy as is.
2015-6-18
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have the setup and works good so far but have not run it out for the range test yet.  Will post when I do.
2015-6-18
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

Ok, my transmitter came back this afternoon.  BTW, I sent it to Tony on Monday from California, and I got it back today, He received it, did the mod, and got it back in the mail to me all in the same day.

Anyway, if the wind cooperates I'll send it out to the limits of the radio or the battery tomorrow and post the number.
2015-6-19
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-6-20 09:07
Ok, my transmitter came back this afternoon.  BTW, I sent it to Tony on Monday from California, and  ...

Can't wait for your results.
2015-6-19
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

Last edited by f1@frankschaffer.net In 2015-6-20 20:57 Editor

Takeaway:
Increase from 8600 ft stock to 15238 ft with the amps and antenna kit.

Details:
My takeoff point was from a hill about 400 feet above the surrounding land so I had good radio LOS. Prior distance was just over 8600 ft, where I got the first weak video warning, and turned back at that point. Interestingly, I got the same warning at about that point today, but kept going, and it went away, so I might not have reached the maximum on the earlier stock configuration flight. Also, I got other momentary weak video warnings that all went away after 1 or 2 seconds on this flight with the antenna and amp kit.

Eventually I got to 15238 feet, and got the same, but more frequent weak video warnings, along with the return to home battery warning, so I turned around.  Periodically, I tried turning the antenna away from the A/C and saw no degradation of the signal at up to 45 degrees off angle.

I set my battery warnings to 10% and 15% so I expected  I would get my first RTH battery warning at about 65%, but the warning came at 71%, so my understanding of the battery range warning aren't correct, so I chose not to push it.  Also I was running out of unpopulated area.

Testing like this presents a problem because one can’t maintain a visual connection with the A/C at these distances.  I bought the amp kit to increase my margins close in, not to run around the ragged edge. I wanted to try this once to roughly gauge what sort of increase I acquired.  It looks like about a 77% increase in my environment.  There was one set of high tension wires that I flew over about 1/3 of the way out, I estimate they are about 80 feet tall and I was probably about 300 feet above their tops.  There were no transmission warnings when I was at my closest to them.

I think the kit provides a good value for the money and Tony was very helpful and provides super fast service.  But this mod adds some additional complications:  Another component to turn on and off, and charge, and since there are 2 amps and a battery, 3 additional potential failure points.  It looks like I can also run it without the amps and just FPVLR's antenna.  I will probably do that.

2015-6-20
Use props
Yapstrapper
lvl.2

United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-6-20 20:54
Last edited by  In 2015-6-20 20:57 Editor
Takeaway:Increase from 8600 ft stock to 15238 ft with the ...

Very interesting thanks for the report
2015-6-20
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Thanks for the report. Does your moded TX fit into the stock case?
2015-6-20
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

Almost certainly not.  It adds about 3.75 inches to the top and protrudes about 3.5 inches towards the front.  I'm using the HPRC case, and it wouldn't fit in there - not by a mile.  I have the transmitter mounted in an aftermarket tray with a tablet stand, so the whole thing is a bit of a monstrosity right now.  Once I decide what works best for me, I'm going to buy a case for just the transmitters, and cut foam  inserts for the transmitter.
2015-6-21
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

I just got the DBS kit and tried it.

Unmodified DJI I attained about 8600 ft
FPVLR with amps I attained a little more than 15000 ft
FPVLR without amps I attained about 12000 ft
DBS without amps I attained a about 10000

I noticed the DBS was more sensitive to antenna direction, but not sensitive enough to be a problem.  Also the  DBS signal drop of was more linear, with a gradual reduction in bars.  The FPVLR system seemed to have all bars and then rapidly, little to no signal.

I plan to use the FPVLR since I've already bought it.  I think both kits are of a high quality, and are an excellent value.  
2015-7-28
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

I wonder, since the inspire as system operates with a send and receive signal. the transmission from the inspire to the controller is not extra amplified, how that works?.
Or Is it just not receive the flight data and video anymore on screen if out of reach of the normal inspire transmitting range?

2015-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules