Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fly App Compass Heading is opposite
4589 29 2020-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

I wonder if someone or DJI might have a suggestion. In the past week my compass heading and location has started reporting incorrectly. When the aircraft is in front of me, it shows that it's behind me. And when it is aimed towards me, it shows its aimed away. I've calibrated the compass and the IMU. Yesterday I went out to my backyard instead of the front yard and powered it back up and it started to work correctly. Today I went to the exact same location and powered it up and it is incorrect again. If  I turn my back to the aircraft, it shows its in front. Any idea what's going on? It has worked fine for the first month that I've had it untill now. TIA
2020-6-28
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365233 ft
United States

Happened to me as well. Check your location services for your compass app, that fixed it for me.
2020-6-28
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your help! Where do you see that? In the Fly App? Or do you mean the phones location services? Thanks again DukeNukemNy!

By the way, I'm using an Android phone.
2020-6-28
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365233 ft
United States

I should have stated, this happened on my iPhone.  I am clueless when it comes to Android phones.  That said, I would think there is a compass app on the Android phone.  I found it odd that the DJI Fly app utilized the iPhone's compass, but I guess that makes sense.  This started after I did the recent firmware update.
2020-6-28
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Same here! I just did the recent update on the app. Makes me wonder if that is what did it since it's worked fine up to now
2020-6-28
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

same here. I dont even look at it anymore.
2020-6-28
Use props
kiminx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

ScottM2A Posted at 6-28 16:56
Same here! I just did the recent update on the app. Makes me wonder if that is what did it since it's worked fine up to now

so what the cause of the compass heading  error? solved by reinstall the dji fly apps?
2020-6-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

You can resolve this by recalibrating your phone compass, just open the compass app on your phone, menu then calibrate.
2020-6-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

put your phone the other way around in your RC.

IMU has nothing to do with the Aircraft Orientation Indicator (AOI).

AOI arrow pointing = info from drone compass. *
AOI arrow positioning on the 180 degree scale = info from mobile device compass. **

So both compasses need to be calibrated, sometimes it helps to calibrate the mob device when it is in the RC.

* hover 10 metets in front of your RC and yaw craft left - right, see what happens to the arrow.
** hover 10 meters in front of RC (RC towards craft) and yaw RC left = right, see what happens

See picture.  Bottom line AOI is 90 degrees left and right of the pointing direction of the RC.
If the mobile device compass is not correct than the craft arrow is at the wrong position on the 180 degree scale.
Good news, if the arrow is pointing toward the center (white filled circle) the craft is flying towards home. (despite of the wrong position on the scale)

cheers
JJB

AOIv2.png
2020-6-28
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

kiminx Posted at 6-28 19:44
so what the cause of the compass heading  error? solved by reinstall the dji fly apps?

So far no solution. But I may try to uninstall and reinstall.
2020-6-29
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Suren Posted at 6-28 22:44
You can resolve this by recalibrating your phone compass, just open the compass app on your phone, menu then calibrate.

With an Android phone, I don't have a dedicated compass app. I did however open an app that has a compass yesterday and calibrated it. But unfortunately the problem continued. Good idea though. May be different with an iOS device.
2020-6-29
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Thanks JJB. I'll try recalibration while in the remote controller and also rotating the mobile device 180. I'll report back after I get a chance to try it
2020-6-29
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

So I tried calibrating my mobile phone compass twice and the MA2 compass twice. It didn't change the results. The directional and positional arrows/loc are still in error. I'll upload some screen shots. Haven't done that before on this forum so hopefully it'll work. But I'll describe them in the order I'm uploading and explain more if needed.

In the first picture, I'm standing behind the unit about 15' and it is facing straight away from me. Note that it shows it's behind me and not facing away.

In the second picture, I've done as some have suggested and rotated the phone in the RC and while it does show it in front of me, it's still pointing in the wrong direction.

In the third shot, the aircraft is directly in front of me, but it shows that it is off to my right . HOWEVER, the directional arrow IS CORRECT pointing away from me.

In the fourth shot, is is again, directly in front of me, but showing off to the right. BUT the directional arrow is CORRECT in this case.

In the fifth shot, the unit is off to my right and the arrow is "sort of right".

In case thes pics are out of order, the last three digits go 802, 708,829,933, 108.

Also, I flew the unit out away from me and behind me and there was no diff so I took these shots with the unit withing approx 50' of myself.

And from when I got the unit until around the end of last week or so, (I noticed it a day or two ago, but it could have been sooner), it has worked fine. So, I'm thinking something happened with the latest software update. Other info is that my mobile is a Motorola Moto Z4 and has worked fine from day one. No metal structures around. A couple of parked cars. Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMUpPEgDsvTCXnYf6
2020-6-29
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

How far are your from your AC?
Compass heading does not work correctly when you are close - it gets confused.
Move 10 metres away, as JJB suggested, before doing any other calibration.
UPDATE: I just read your last post. 15 feet away should be plenty.

Mirek

2020-6-29
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Mirek. Yes, I was about 50 feet away one time, then about 150' away. Then I went the opposite direction into a field about 125' feet away. Same results unfortunately.
2020-6-29
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

ScottM2A Posted at 6-29 09:09
Thanks Mirek. Yes, I was about 50 feet away one time, then about 150' away. Then I went the opposite direction into a field about 125' feet away. Same results unfortunately.

One more question - it may be obvious but, just in case...
I assume that when you are standing in front of AC looking straight at it, you are also pointg your RC antenna in the same direction as AC - right?
And yet, the RC shows to the side (on your compass view) instead of in front of you - correct?

And, you are away from any electromagnetic fields which could disrupt your AC and/or mobile compass readings?And, you did your calibrations away from any electromagnetic fields and metal/rebar structures? (including any metal jewelerry right on you)?

I am trying to eliminate some scenarios which may have been missed.

Mirek

2020-6-29
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, yes, all suggestions are helpful Mirek! To answer, yes, I was pointing the antenna the same direction as the AC. Sometimes I would turn sideways and it would indicate that it was on the opposite side. Not always however. And yes, I tried to stay away from structures. I'm going to try to calibrate my mobile device compass again fwithout the AC nearby or any other structures of mag fields then try again. I hope to do this later this afternoon. Thanks.
2020-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ScottM2A. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application to see if the issue of the compass will still persist. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-6-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ScottM2A Posted at 6-29 08:54
So I tried calibrating my mobile phone compass twice and the MA2 compass twice. It didn't change the results. The directional and positional arrows/loc are still in error. I'll upload some screen shots. Haven't done that before on this forum so hopefully it'll work. But I'll describe them in the order I'm uploading and explain more if needed.

In the first picture, I'm standing behind the unit about 15' and it is facing straight away from me. Note that it shows it's behind me and not facing away.

Hi Scott,

First picture: your old situation

Second picture: arrow shows drone in front of you !  that is good > keep your device this way in the RC.
But it is pointing the wrong direction!

Third picture:

to understand it better;
Arrow pointing to = info from drone compass
Arrow position on the half circle scale = info from mob device compass

Sometimes my phone compass is few degrees 'wrong', not a big issue for me, turning the RC left or right to get the arrow in front of the scale = craft is flying approx. in front of me.Yawing the craft such that the arrow is pointing towards the center = craft is flying direct home, despite if arrow is offset positioned on the forward 180 scale.

15 feet is not always far enough to give a good situation representation of the arrow, just fly more away and see what happens
If you can find an open space (no cars etc) for test with some landmarks...(RC - drone some distance away - on the background a big tree or pole  etc (all in one line))

if possibe screen record your flight, upload that on here.
cheers
JJB

2020-6-30
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-30 23:09
Hello there ScottM2A. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application to see if the issue of the compass will still persist. Thank you and fly safe always.

I will do that!! Also, I'm just saying too, that I'm not saying it's a DJI issue for sure. It could easily be an android issue or mobile related. But definitely appreciate the help, updates and responses! Thanks.
2020-7-1
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-30 23:35
Hi Scott,

First picture: your old situation

Thanks. I'll try these ideas. I haven't tried a screen record (so I'll have to figure out how to do that. Useful though!!). Thanks much.
2020-7-1
Use props
OlBigJon
lvl.3
United States

Ive done everything imaginable reinstalling the app twice, etc etc - im using ipad mini 5 and it still does not work. It seems to catch intermittently but just pops back out of place.  I am forced to use the map for direction orientation.
2020-7-1
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

So here is my update so far. It appears that the issue pertains to the mobile compass calibration and headings. After researching issues with Android system compass settings I found that my compass was reporting things "backwards" . The recommended remedy for this would be to open Google Maps, click on the blue dot representing "you". Then touch calibrate compass in the lower left. HOWEVER, doing that (as I had done several times before) did not resolve the issue many times. I found I would have to do that repeatedly and then compare it to a known location that I was in or compare it to what I saw around me and what was indicated on the map. Sometimes it would take several tries and then it would literally swing the map around 180 to the correct direction. I then did some more digging on forums and Google and found people had reported some success by using an app called GPS status. It basically keeps the GPS active and when another app calls for GPS and compass settings, they are ready to go or it quickly gets it ready. So, I've had that app for two days now and so far when I open Google Maps it is showing the correct compass direction and map orientation. And, the Fly App's positional location and aircraft camera end directional arrow is pointing much more accurately, albeit, sometimes off by 5 or 10 degrees. But usually correct. I'll keep trying this, but wanted to report back as soon as I discovered this. Hope it helps.
2020-7-2
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Congrats!!!
2020-7-2
Use props
OlBigJon
lvl.3
United States

I just tried this method. pointer still way off as usual.
2020-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ScottM2A Posted at 7-1 08:18
I will do that!! Also, I'm just saying too, that I'm not saying it's a DJI issue for sure. It could easily be an android issue or mobile related. But definitely appreciate the help, updates and responses! Thanks.

Hi there ScottM2A. Thank you for the reply and after reading this update that you have given on post #24. It is great to know that the issue has been fixed. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI forum. We are all here to help you.
2020-7-2
Use props
kiminx
lvl.4
Indonesia

ScottM2A Posted at 7-2 10:43
So here is my update so far. It appears that the issue pertains to the mobile compass calibration and headings. After researching issues with Android system compass settings I found that my compass was reporting things "backwards" . The recommended remedy for this would be to open Google Maps, click on the blue dot representing "you". Then touch calibrate compass in the lower left. HOWEVER, doing that (as I had done several times before) did not resolve the issue many times. I found I would have to do that repeatedly and then compare it to a known location that I was in or compare it to what I saw around me and what was indicated on the map. Sometimes it would take several tries and then it would literally swing the map around 180 to the correct direction. I then did some more digging on forums and Google and found people had reported some success by using an app called GPS status. It basically keeps the GPS active and when another app calls for GPS and compass settings, they are ready to go or it quickly gets it ready. So, I've had that app for two days now and so far when I open Google Maps it is showing the correct compass direction and map orientation. And, the Fly App's positional location and aircraft camera end directional arrow is pointing much more accurately, albeit, sometimes off by 5 or 10 degrees. But usually correct. I'll keep trying this, but wanted to report back as soon as I discovered this. Hope it helps.

can you give picture  which one the GPS Status apps you used because too many gps status apps in google play store.
2020-7-7
Use props
ScottM2A
lvl.2
United States

Hi Kiminx, This is the app that I found was helpful. Not perfect but helps  assess  and correct the mobile compass quicker.
Screenshot_20200707-101138.png
2020-7-7
Use props
kiminx
lvl.4
Indonesia

ScottM2A Posted at 7-7 06:13
Hi Kiminx, This is the app that I found was helpful. Not perfect but helps  assess  and correct the mobile compass quicker.

thank you for your pic
2020-7-7
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

kiminx Posted at 7-7 07:55
thank you for your pic

Hi. I have an Ipad Mini 5 as my display device. What IOS app do I need to correct this compass orientation problem?  As always I really appreciate any help.
2020-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules