Use Old Flight Log to Program New Flight Course ?
558 6 2020-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Over the past 2 years, I've taken many aerial videos of my neighborhood and other vacation places.
I'd like to re-take the same 'footage', at a different time. This for example, to show my neighborhood in the winter vs. spring (bare trees vs. full of leaves) or, another example, the next door corn field that became a new housing sub-division.

The idea is to use the flight log from the old footage, and somehow use that to 'program' the drone to go through the same trajectory.

Anyone knows how to do that? ... I'd prefer to stay within DJI software if at all possible, but would consider 3rd party solutions.

2020-6-28
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

19 views and not a single comment?

Come on guys, what options are out there?
2020-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You could.
You can display the flight route and convert it to a KML file to view in Google Earth.
Then use that to program the copy flight using Litchi.
2020-6-30
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you. I thought of that, but the KML file only keeps track of few GPS-related quantities. It does not save the heading of the vehicle/aircraft and also the tilt angle of the camera. So, yes, the KML can retrace the trajectory of the drone, but NOT the actual orientations of both the drone and the camera attached to it. As such, no guarantee that the footage will be the same.

Then, a related Question: How does one extract (from the flight log ?) all coordinates needed to fully localize/characterize the drone in flight? ... These are:

1. Displacement XYZ coordinates of drone (GPS should provide those)
2. Rotation/Orientations coordinates (Pitch/Roll/Yaw) of the drone
3. Rotations (pitch/roll/yaw) of the camera RELATIVE to the drone

2020-7-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JB63 Posted at 7-1 05:51
Thank you. I thought of that, but the KML file only keeps track of few GPS-related quantities. It does not save the heading of the vehicle/aircraft and also the tilt angle of the camera. So, yes, the KML can retrace the trajectory of the drone, but NOT the actual orientations of both the drone and the camera attached to it. As such, no guarantee that the footage will be the same.

Then, a related Question: How does one extract (from the flight log ?) all coordinates needed to fully localize/characterize the drone in flight? ... These are:

Have a look here:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

It's all in there if you dig deep enough
2020-7-1
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you ... I learned something new today
2020-7-1
Use props
Haggi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Usually, the gpx or kml file will contain too many waypoints.
A handy tool for simplifying your file is the free online service https://passknacker.com/tracks/opt/index.html

You will have to keep your mission below 99 nodes/wp's.

My preferred method would be to make a Litchi mission, and just re-run it. Litchi would take care of yaw, gimbal tilt and such..

Keep us updated about your project!
2020-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules