12Next >
9062 57 2020-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mblorne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137940 ft
Canada

So some may have seen this floating around on other forums but I thought I would raise it here as a concern.

Back on June 19, I took the MA2 for a quick flight 7m 7s in the air.  
Battery stats at takeoff:  97% 28.6C  
Battery stats at landing:  71% 61.9C

After the MA2 landed, I could not turn the drone off.  Pressing the battery button followed by press would only lead to 12 oclock LED blinking then nothing.  Fan still running.  The connection dropped, but the fan continued to run, the navigation/information lights on the legs still blinking (green and yellow because no connection).

I contacted DJI chat immediately and told them of my problem but go almost nowhere.  Wanted a video uploaded and wanted me to power down the drone (duh!).  I tried to physically remove the battery but it would not budge.  Eventually the battery ran out of power and the fan stopped.  Could not power on, could not pysically pull the battery.

I tried to remove the battery every day for a few days.  I contacted DJI support and they are not helping.  ("our engineers are looking into it" and "please try to remove the battery").  So, after 5 days of trying, I saw enough play to try a little more firmly.  The battery comes out, and this:

Melted Battery

Melted Battery

Damage to the fuselage is looking like this:

Damaged MA2

Damaged MA2

So the most disconcerting parts of this whole ordeal is that DJI is not returning my emails.  The last contact I had from them was on Wednesday June 24!

Through no fault of my own, a DJI battery melted a hole through its casing, melted the fuselage of my drone and they will NOT address it.

Lest you think I have abused my batteries, I have the specific data (via AirdataUAV) to show that my batteries do not drop below 20% and this one specifically has never gone above 45C and it's lowest charge was 29%.  A 7 minute flight leads to this?  Let's hope for everyones sake that this is not a fire hazard waiting to pop open.

The more I have been reading around the forums, the more I think there are quality control issues with these MA2 batteries, and I'm not the first to have a melted battery.  Come on DJI, address this issue.  Take some responsibility and deal with this issue.

Michael

2020-6-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Although dangerous to anybody below flying drone, this is extremely rare issue. I can't recall any other reported case of DJI's LiPo battery overheating to that extent, being a tireless watchdog of this industry for last 6 years. Please provide links, if I'm wrong. Regardless, DJI must address your loss one way or another, but there's no reason for a world-wide panic, IMHO.
2020-6-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi mblorne, we are so sorry for the trouble with the battery and the unpleasant experience with our customer support team. Due to prevention of COVID-19, DJI had to urgently adjust our service arrangements. The current service email channels have a large number of backlogs and may now have some delay in reply. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. I managed to get your email and has informed the team to create the ticket as soon as possible, the aircraft, charger, charging hub need to be sent back.

We also would like to verify some details.
1. Is this battery the one which was mounted in the aircraft by default when you received the drone?
2. How did you charge the battery? Via the charger or the charging hub?
3. Was the charging interrupted such as pull out the charger or cut the power during the charging?
4. Was the battery crashed or dropped during the period between charging and plugging into the aircraft?
5. Was the aircraft powered directly after mounting the battery without pressing the power button?
2020-6-28
Use props
mblorne
lvl.1
Canada

Thank you Mindy for the quick response, I do appreciate it.

To answer your questions:

We also would like to verify some details.
1. Is this battery the one which was mounted in the aircraft by default when you received the drone?  - No, this was 1 of 2 batteries purchased from DJI after receiving the MA2 (I have 3 total)
2. How did you charge the battery? Via the charger or the charging hub? - Charger
3. Was the charging interrupted such as pull out the charger or cut the power during the charging? - Not that I'm aware no
4. Was the battery crashed or dropped during the period between charging and plugging into the aircraft? - No, batteries are well cared for, properly left to self-discharge, not left on the charger, etc.
5. Was the aircraft powered directly after mounting the battery without pressing the power button? - Not sure I follow, but I powered the drone on as usual.  Flight of 7m 7s was completed without issue.  I conducted the pre-flight and the post-flight in the same way I always do, except this time it would not power down.

Thank you,
Michael
2020-6-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

That does look bad and in many ways concerning but might just have been a once off bad battery. With the mass productions this might be a lemon and would need to be sent back, thankfully no one got hurt.
2020-6-28
Use props
djiuser_SKW5re87uEZm
lvl.1

Canada

Not an isolated event.  Here are pics of my magic air 2 battery and drone after an identical battery event.  I am awaiting response from DJI support,
2020-7-6
Use props
djiuser_SKW5re87uEZm
lvl.1

Canada

2020-7-6
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

will appreciate a follow up on this issue.
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - exactly the same as the OP - that is a concern. Hope you get your replacement drone and battery soon enough.
2020-7-6
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

I have to say as a new owner of the Mavic Air 2, I have not managed to fly yet due to bad weather, but to now read here, we have two people with the same battery problem, with clear battery overheating to some tune in the same area is a little disconcerting.
2020-7-6
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

62°C is very high temperature for battery, looks like short circuit or defective cell...
2020-7-6
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

My guess is the battery removal failed because the case had already deformed. Was there a strong electrical smell after the flight?
2020-7-6
Use props
fansbe16fd30
lvl.1
Canada

Yes, there was a strong electrical heat smell for a few minutes after landing.  Continued while the fan ran constantly and then dissipated.
2020-7-6
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Thanks a lot for the info. Hopefully these would be isolated incidents and DJI will sort the problem out as soon as possible. Having gone through 3 early Osmo Actions to simply get a working one, I can understand the frustration. Luckily we had a very good local distributor at the time and the whole ordeal did not cost me a cent.

I have to admit, having battery problems myself with the old Air, I am deliberately looking into any posts with MA2 battery issues before I finally take a leap of faith and buy it. Unfortunately everything I have seen so far keeps ringing the same 3 words in my mind: "Galaxy Note 7" (well, two words and a number ). The problems reported bear uncomfortable resemblance...

PS: It is still impressive that the drone could fly and safely land under the circumstances...
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

Scary stuff when you have your $$$$ drone up in the air!

I think everyone with a rudimentary understanding of how sensitive the current state of the art battery technology/technologies really is, well they are not surprised. If you've ever deliberately short-circuited a lithium battery you'll know what I mean.

Battery tech is lagging far behind the all the other techs, sadly. Lithium type tech batteries will do everything from get hot to burst into outright fire when they fail, be it due to internal production related weaknesses or external physical factors like...someone jabbing a knife into them. We got variations of this tech in everything from cellphones to laptops to vape devices, hearing aids and electric cars. I've been waiting for a safer battery technology for 20 years, but this is what we have and devices "blowing up" is what we are going to see on/off for the time being based on one-offs or production batch mishaps.

Does not however mean it's not possible warranty cases and things like that. I'm just trying to point out the fact that the tech itself is volatile and fragile.

I hope you guys reporting issues get your cases solved in a quick and satisfactory manner while I pray my 4 batteries don't act up.
2020-7-6
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

The original 3 batteries that came with the fly more kit, have white DJI lettering on them seem to be fine, the fourth battery purchased from DJI has no white DJI lettering. This is the only battery that gets warm just sitting in the case after being charged 4 days before. All batteries were charged on the same day. I will keep an eye o. It moving forward.
2020-7-7
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o Posted at 7-7 04:19
The original 3 batteries that came with the fly more kit, have white DJI lettering on them seem to be fine, the fourth battery purchased from DJI has no white DJI lettering. This is the only battery that gets warm just sitting in the case after being charged 4 days before. All batteries were charged on the same day. I will keep an eye o. It moving forward.

I would not leave them in the case, have them out on a shelf, desk or something.

The 4th battery you mention could be in "self discharge" stage and it is normal for them to get warm during this process.
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_9R91KAssseCI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6335 ft
United States

I had the same issue as the OP. Couldn't power down the drone, and only had the 12 o'clock LED blink. I ran the battery down, and was able to remove it. Didn't see any burning though. I contacted DJI and sent it back more than a week ago.
2020-7-7
Use props
Derek Plafcan
lvl.1

United States

Had the exact same issue on my air 2’s 4th total flight. First time that battery was ever used.  After flight, fan wouldn’t stop running until the battery completely died.  Contacted support and they said “trying forcing it out” or “send it back”. Fearing it would take way too long for them to send me a replacement/fix it, I was able to pry it off with some force.

Crazy this happened on a brand new product. It is also starting to become a trend.  Hearing others experiences when dealing with DJI makes me fearful at how long the replacement process will take. They ought to have a new one on its way to customers ASAP after serious manufacturer defects like this...
2020-7-25
Use props
djiuser_bWbdDyjakplc
New
Netherlands

Woww man. You're absolutely not the only one experiencing this. Last week I was flying my drone ( a Mavic 2 pro ) and immediately sensed a funny/ burning smell while I was landing. The drone had hitted up and I couldn't turn it of by pushing the the button. But as I removed the battery and installed the other one, I could turn off the aircraft. No damage is visible on the drone itself l, but it still smells like a burn
2020-7-30
Use props
mobzd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1497999 ft
Poland

It happened to me too. Flight and landing without any problems. One short full power alert during flight. After landing, there is a smell of burning insulation. The drone cannot be turned off. The battery is stuck in the drone - it could not be removed without tools. I sent it back to the DJI service. I have received confirmation that the repair will be under warranty and I am waiting for a return.
2020-7-31
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

It happened to me and cost me a mavic 2 zoom.
2020-7-31
Use props
djiuser_bWbdDyjakplc
New
Netherlands

Blellow Posted at 7-31 11:27
It happened to me and cost me a mavic 2 zoom.

What do you mean? Did it crush?
2020-7-31
Use props
jon841
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135863 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-8-9
Use props
jon841
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135863 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing.
2020-8-9
Use props
MKOM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31381 ft

United Kingdom

Same for me, in the same area of battery but on a Mavic 2 pro. I’ve messaged DJI support. I want them to replace battery and repair damage to drone body. Will cricle back.
2020-9-6
Use props
djiuser_ewyKlOQkWDGa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85886 ft
United States

Hello all,

I just had the exact same problem today as mblorne.  Luckily the battery did not melt through and damage the drone.  Has anyone learned if this is a drone issue or strictly a battery issue? I am worried to test with another battery.

Thanks for any feedback!
2020-9-13
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those that have experienced this unfortunate event with their batteries overheating and melting, how many flights or hours have you had with your drone before the even occurred?
2020-9-14
Use props
Tom_ATX
lvl.1
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-14 06:30
For those that have experienced this unfortunate event with their batteries overheating and melting, how many flights or hours have you had with your drone before the even occurred?

JodyB- My Mavic 2 has 13.4hrs.
2020-9-14
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tom_ATX Posted at 9-14 18:56
JodyB- My Mavic 2 has 13.4hrs.

Thanks for the info, that's a little scary to know that it could occur after the break in period. I hope this is figured out soon for all involved!!
2020-9-15
Use props
Tom_ATX
lvl.1
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-15 03:43
Thanks for the info, that's a little scary to know that it could occur after the break in period. I hope this is figured out soon for all involved!!

This was from my newest battery I bought this year. I use three batteries I cycle through.

I contacted DJI but have not heard anything from them.
2020-9-15
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tom_ATX Posted at 9-15 08:10
This was from my newest battery I bought this year. I use three batteries I cycle through.

I contacted DJI but have not heard anything from them.

They claim that they are having issues due to covid that is causing delays. I understand that, but only to a certain degree. We have not stopped living our lives so I would expect a better handle on things personally.
2020-9-15
Use props
Tom_ATX
lvl.1
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-15 08:19
They claim that they are having issues due to covid that is causing delays. I understand that, but only to a certain degree. We have not stopped living our lives so I would expect a better handle on things personally.

I am just afraid to test the drone with another battery. I do not know if its a drone or battery issue.
2020-9-15
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tom_ATX Posted at 9-15 10:32
I am just afraid to test the drone with another battery. I do not know if its a drone or battery issue.

I know what you're saying. It is a little nerve racking. Especially if you are depending on your drone to help make a living. But I would be trying it out. I'm a tinkerer by nature. I'd be too curious not to try one more battery.
2020-9-15
Use props
MKOM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31381 ft

United Kingdom

Guys by way of update DJI have agreed to replace the battery but their web based support team are refusing to repair the damage to the drone itself.

I'm going to fight them on consumer rights basis. Profoundly unimpressed with their attitude.

Any mods reading this please message me!
2020-10-15
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

MKOM Posted at 10-15 03:57
Guys by way of update DJI have agreed to replace the battery but their web based support team are refusing to repair the damage to the drone itself.

I'm going to fight them on consumer rights basis. Profoundly unimpressed with their attitude.

That sounds insane. What reason did they give for not repairing the drone?
2020-10-15
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 7-6 14:27
Thanks a lot for the info. Hopefully these would be isolated incidents and DJI will sort the problem out as soon as possible. Having gone through 3 early Osmo Actions to simply get a working one, I can understand the frustration. Luckily we had a very good local distributor at the time and the whole ordeal did not cost me a cent.

I have to admit, having battery problems myself with the old Air, I am deliberately looking into any posts with MA2 battery issues before I finally take a leap of faith and buy it. Unfortunately everything I have seen so far keeps ringing the same 3 words in my mind: "Galaxy Note 7" (well, two words and a number  ). The problems reported bear uncomfortable resemblance...

Im also thinking of updating from the original MA, im just not sure that i like the new app. What is the battery problem that you encounterd with the original MA?
2020-10-15
Use props
djiuser_KBJO1Mu08Yza
lvl.1

Australia

Was it on latest firmware?
2020-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MKOM Posted at 10-15 03:57

I'm going to fight them on consumer rights basis. Profoundly unimpressed with their attitude.

Hi MKOM, sorry for the unpleasant experience with DJI product, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account and will escalate your case to the related team to double check, I will keep you updated as soon as possible.
2020-10-16
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

Following this because I just purchased a fourth battery from DJI.
2020-10-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules