Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RoboMaster Camera - Can it be used as a WebCam?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

In these days where Covid is raging and everyone is working from home, here in the US, there is a shortage of webcams ... Yes, you read that right.
Question: Can the RoboMaster Camera be used as a webcam? No, that is not really my intention, but in this modern day and age, one woudl expect such accessories to somehow 'easily' interface. The camera uses a USB-C connector, but the data stream, is it really USB-C compliant? Does one need a 'driver' to decode the stream? Surely such camera is a nice 'toy' to hack ... all one needs is to connect it directly to a laptop, and stat digging ...

Thoughts ?

2020-6-30
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

So, I just went ahead and tried. It did not work at all. I suspect although it is using a USB connector, it is not really a standard USB port there (as in, the computer does not even notice it was connected to it).
2020-7-1
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I did exactly that as well ... and my computer would not detect it either. Usually, if it's a USB compliant device, the computer would ask for a driver ... Not in this case, as if the USB connector is just that, a connector, but that does not adhere to the USB protocol.

My thinking: There are 'standard' USB sniffing tools out there ... is there a way to 'try' and get any info from the camera at all? I have a hard time 'accepting' DJI re-wrote most/all their communication protocols, instead of using industry standards.
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hoped that our valued DJI members who uses the DJI Robomaster S1 can provide you the best information for this inquiry. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend using the DJI Robomaster S1 as a webcam. Using a third party software may affect the performance of the said device and void the warranty. Thank you.
2020-7-2
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes Mr Super Moderator ... I fully understand/appreciate the quirks about warranty and the like ... If DJI had released a fully 'enabled' fancy/expensive toy, we wouldn't be having this discussion ... would be?
2020-7-3
Use props
Peme969
lvl.1
United States

I don’t think so!
2023-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules