Can the Gimbal be repaired? (DJI support not giving clear answer)
861 4 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189167 ft
United States

I had the very rough experience of watching a friend pilot my Inspire 1 into a tree.   Luckily it was not more than 10 feet off the ground so the damage was limited to the gimball.   

I have test flown a few times and all is well with the Inspire.  Very smooth flight, full responsiveness, etc.  I took MANY small flights 1-2 feet off the ground until i felt confortable and progressively tested things.   Should be all good with the bird itself.

The problem is that the gimball roll seems to be locked up.   I can move it manually by hand, but it will keep itself level as the bird is flying.   I have tried resetting everything but to no evail.

I am wondering if the gimball is repairable or if i need to buy a new one.   I have contacted DJI support and after being bounced around to a few different locations, I was told that i would need to send 'the unit' in before they could tell me if it can be repaired.  They were very unclear about if the unit means the gimball/camera or the whole Inspire 1.  

All i want to know is if the gimball/camera can be typically be repaired.  If so, i will send it in.   What i want to avoid is waiting in their six week + repair process only to find out that i need to buy a new one.   If that is the case, i will just buy a new one now.   

Any insight from the community or DJI?

Thanks
2015-6-18
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

scott.k.davidso- Hey, buddy!

You can send just the camera in for repair. It needs to be RMA'd and sent to LA. From other posts, there is a considerable a return time, but somewhat lessened. If you don't want to wait, you can spend the $500+ for a new one. When your other is repaired, you'll have two.

PS- A word of advise- Keep inexperienced friends away from this thing, unless you want to permanently lose it or hurt someone. If the GPS drops out and it goes into ATTI mode, you could be looking at a very serious situation in split seconds.

Happy flying and as always, be safe!

-S.N.
2015-6-18
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

yep, friends don't let friends drive an inspire.   I've seen those parts on ebay.  Look there.
2015-6-18
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189167 ft
United States

Thanks for the responses.   Good to know that it can be repaired.  Still TBD on my plan to get a new one vs get it repaired.   Could always sell the old one on E-bay after repair if its not needed.

My friend has my old P2 which he flies around quite a bit.   After flying the Inspire for 6 months, I must have forgotten how much of a performance increase there is over the P2 and how long it took me to get adjusted.   Lesson learned.
2015-6-18
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Dji inspire 1 Camera with gimbal included , in stock at some Dji dealers around $500.00 new in the box.
Was on my dealers parts list in stock last week.
2015-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules