Can the mini be flown only with the smartphone?
8992 7 2020-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Niflheim The Dude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 533048 ft
Romania

I know that on Spark for instance you can connect to the drone with your smartphone directly and control it. I know that in this mode it has a limited range, but for what I need on a future trip where luggage space is critical this would be a great option. From what I found out it uses DJI Enhanced Wifi, I know it`s not broadcasting a Wifi Beacon when its connected, but uses the same freqvency.
Anyone else found out anything regarding on the subject?
2020-7-3
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

The answer is a very disappointing NO.  I posted about this a few days ago, that a smartphone only controller is such a basic feature, necessary for traveling light.

A mod said he will forward this request to the DJI team, so maybe if we show them there is demand for it, they'll implement it in the next firmware update.

The people who are against it, saying range will be crap, don't understand that that's a sacrifice people who want to travel light are willing to make.
2020-7-3
Use props
Niflheim The Dude
lvl.3
Romania

I understand that some features are not implemented because of ROI (return of investment), hopefully when the SDK will be released a 3rd party app will add the missing features. Its too bad that we will  probably give money to them instead of DJI.
2020-7-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Take off the control stick from the remote - it will still be easier than flying with just a phone.
2020-7-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Niflheim The Dude. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared. I am sorry to say that the DJI Mavic Mini can not be flown only with the smartphone. In addition you may use only the remote controller of the DJI Mavic Mini when flying the drone. It will fly just fine without a smartphone attached to the remote controller of the said drone, but you won't have access to the intelligent flight modes though as they need the DJI Fly application. Thank you.
2020-7-5
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Idk why anyone would ever want this feature it is horrible.... Have u actually flown this way? I have, and it blows.... It actually makes u feel like u will crash with lack of real control sticks and the lag is super annoying.... Plus u lack some of the features you normally have with the remote. .. And wifi will give u 150ft on your best day..  
2020-7-5
Use props
Niflheim The Dude
lvl.3
Romania

Well I`m planning to go on a trip on my bicycle for 1 week (tent, sleeping bag on it etc), so space is very crucial, that is why I was asking.
2020-7-5
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

A J Posted at 7-3 12:12
Take off the control stick from the remote - it will still be easier than flying with just a phone.

2020-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules