12Next >
5502 46 2020-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220554 ft
United States

I'm just curious that DJI has any plan to update the firmware of Osmo Pocket.
DJ staffs, Can you please answer me please?
2020-7-4
Use props
Kajetan
lvl.1
Poland

This question was asked so many times without any answer from DJI. I don't think they will answer here, tho according to the recent DJI staff message in other thread it seems like they're working on it. But is it true? I don't know.
2020-7-4
Use props
djiuser_4qnESHzXmGDW
lvl.2
United States

Us DJI product users will be among the first to find out.
Please be patient.

Take care,
Bill
2020-7-4
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't really think there's a lot for DJI to improve on the Pocket now.  The last update was the best yet.   I guess it'll need a mk2 version for any real changes.

However, I would like to see a longer list of compatible phones though.

John
2020-7-6
Use props
Game Start
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I would like an option for horizontal scrolling & a way to change the photo button & to recenter with one click but it seems like we wont be getting anymore updates.
2020-7-6
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

By the looks of it pocket 2 is on it's way (if the patent information is not fake it looks like Pocket married the Action and they had a baby) so I would not expect much...
2020-7-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 7-8 01:07
By the looks of it pocket 2 is on it's way (if the patent information is not fake it looks like Pocket married the Action and they had a baby) so I would not expect much...

Links to info?
2020-7-8
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

https://patents.justia.com/assignee/sz-dji-osmo-technology-co-ltd
2020-7-8
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

https://dronedj.com/2020/07/07/d ... d-fully-integrated/

No affiliation, just came across it... Might be nice if this materializes.
2020-7-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 7-8 13:26
https://dronedj.com/2020/07/07/d ... d-fully-integrated/

No affiliation, just came across it... Might be nice if this materializes.

That is interesting. Thank you.
From the looks of what we can see, the gimbal head section seems the same size as at present so it doesn't look like an increase in sensor size. So possibly the same lens and field of view as well?

From your link.
I do welcome a larger screen and placing of the USB-C port. Is that a mic on the top, and maybe a removable battery?
But on further looking there is this one as well.

DJI-patent-camera-OIS_00002.jpg
DJI-fully-integrated-gimbal-osmo-pocket-2.jpg
2020-7-8
Use props
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
United States

There are still many features that I want to be added on this original OP. So sad!
2020-7-9
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

That is sad. Should have waited for the next generation?
2020-7-9
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-8 23:21
From the looks of what we can see, the gimbal head section seems the same size as at present so it doesn't look like an increase in sensor size. So possibly the same lens and field of view as well?

Honestly the gimbal part looks almost the same, but you never know. For instance the new Mavic Air 2  houses a 48MP 1/2" sensor, and in the pictures the camera unit does not look too different (I have not seen it in flesh, so I am not sure). A 1" sensor shows itself as it takes significant space not only because of it's own size, but also because of the size of the lens it has to accommodate.

If I compare the current Pocket and Action ratios to this drawing, either the camera/gimbal module is giant (in the drawing) or the body is really small.

I have not gone through all the descriptions though. So I am not sure about the actual dimensions.

Oh, by the way, the other camera in the middle is rumored to be something like a caddx. A lot of people think DJI will go deeper into FPV.
2020-7-9
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Curt1591 Posted at 7-9 14:16
That is sad. Should have waited for the next generation?

Well, personally Osmo Pocket is one of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned in my life and I have a feeling that it will be displayed in museums 60, 70 years from now

There is no argument it is crippled by it's software and it could have delivered much more if that was not the case. Maybe a 3rd party firmware/software can fix that in the future.
2020-7-9
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-9 14:30
Well, personally Osmo Pocket is one of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned in my life and I have a feeling that it will be displayed in museums 60, 70 years from now  

There is no argument it is crippled by it's software and it could have delivered much more if that was not the case. Maybe a 3rd party firmware/software can fix that in the future.

Looking that picture that makes actually non sense. That kind device is ergonomically totally useless..

Is camera gimbal going to be modular and can swap it to other devices? Camera itself looks like new mavic air camera. That is only illustration not the latest product.

Osmo Pocket is excelent camera for home use. Also low light is enough for that device when 24 or 25fps. It gets enough light.

I would like to see Osmo Pocket 2 to be modular that you could mount the camera to other devices as well. Like that odd picture
2020-7-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 7-9 14:17
Honestly the gimbal part looks almost the same, but you never know. For instance the new Mavic Air 2  houses a 48MP 1/2" sensor, and in the pictures the camera unit does not look too different (I have not seen it in flesh, so I am not sure). A 1" sensor shows itself as it takes significant space not only because of it's own size, but also because of the size of the lens it has to accommodate.

If I compare the current Pocket and Action ratios to this drawing, either the camera/gimbal module is giant (in the drawing) or the body is really small.

Hi.
Yes, on closer inspection the camera head ends as being circular and not rectangular so may well be a different camera.
As for further updates.  
The Osmo Pocket is a fixed bit of engineering. The heat-sink can only cope with so much heat generation and I doubt that the engineers will push the Osmo Pocket to do anything that would increase processing and push the heat generated up any more.
2020-7-10
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-9 22:33
Looking that picture that makes actually non sense. That kind device is ergonomically totally useless..

Is camera gimbal going to be modular and can swap it to other devices? Camera itself looks like new mavic air camera. That is only illustration not the latest product.

I guess it would be a bit of an oddball if that materializes but I have seen people use much worse. Just check the wearable gimbals for action cameras
2020-7-10
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-10 01:02
Hi.
Yes, on closer inspection the camera head ends as being circular and not rectangular so may well be a different camera.
As for further updates.  

I am sure of that, probably that is why they removed the 240 fps slow motion (it was present in demo/review units).

But for the life of me I cannot justify not having regular video recording with waypoints, the same way we have it with motionlapse. I believe it is harder to get it right with motionlapse as the movement is really slow....

Cheers

2020-7-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 7-10 14:03
I am sure of that, probably that is why they removed the 240 fps slow motion (it was present in demo/review units).

But for the life of me I cannot justify not having regular video recording with waypoints, the same way we have it with motionlapse. I believe it is harder to get it right with motionlapse as the movement is really slow....

Well it's not possible to use superfine settings at 4K with a fast frame rate either. I guess anything that taxes the CPU beyond a certain point they won't implement for fear of damaging the units.
I'm wondering if the stumpy design is down to perhaps a removable battery?
2020-7-10
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Looking at that drawing, it would be perfect for me.  I struggle with the small screen and don't get on with my phone connected.
2020-7-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 7-10 17:24
Looking at that drawing, it would be perfect for me.  I struggle with the small screen and don't get on with my phone connected.

Another advantage would be that you could put it down on most flat surfaces without worrying about it falling over if doing a time lapse. Personally All I need extra from it is a proper stereo recording and maybe a removable battery. Screw on filters might be nice as well. A larger screen is welcome as it may also make some things like moving the camera gimbal easier and possibly do away with the need for an add on for finer control. So control movement like you can with the phone screen.
2020-7-11
Use props
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
United States

No DJI staffs came to this thread, or no staff is monitoring this forum anymore :/
2020-7-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Pilot.Isaac Posted at 7-11 15:14
No DJI staffs came to this thread, or no staff is monitoring this forum anymore :/

They can neither confirm or deny. This is still a rumor mill at present. Any intervention from them and it would make people wonder if there is anything to it.
2020-7-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Pilot.Isaac Posted at 7-11 15:14

They can neither confirm or deny. This is still a rumor mill at present. Any intervention from them and it would make people wonder if there is anything to it.
2020-7-11
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-10 15:59
Well it's not possible to use superfine settings at 4K with a fast frame rate either. I guess anything that taxes the CPU beyond a certain point they won't implement for fear of damaging the units.
I'm wondering if the stumpy design is down to perhaps a removable battery?

I would expect a removable battery, onboard wifi, better cooling (ergo higher end functions) etc. etc. Basically a gimbal mounted on top of an Osmo Action. Again of course, if this ever happens

Well, fingers crossed

2020-7-11
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-10 13:59
I guess it would be a bit of an oddball if that materializes but I have seen people use much worse. Just check the wearable gimbals for action cameras

Actually I was rethinking this.

1. Gimbal camera could be modular and you could use different handles for it.
2. That head could be possible to turn down when not filming. And turn up when filming.
3. That base in the picture is so large that you could add Ryzen 8 core in it and osmo action batteries ;)
4. With that base camera could be same with MA2. Large base, easy to put on the flat surfaces safely.

etc..
2020-7-12
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-8 23:21

It looks that you can slide in that gimbal/camera to the base. That makes me wondering could you change the camera or handle. Or you could turn gimbal/camera down while carrying device in the pocket. But I dont see any rotating part. But maybe slide in/out.
2020-7-13
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-12 23:00
Actually I was rethinking this.

1. Gimbal camera could be modular and you could use different handles for it.

Number 2 is already confirmed in the description. The gimbal part folds down for transport and folds up when it is going to be used.

I have no idea about the dimensions though. I am guessing either it will have a similar sized gimbal/camera with a base smaller than Osmo Acion, maybe something in the neighborhood of an elongated Gopro session; or the base would be more like the OA and the camera unit would be huge.

Well there are some other weird DJI patents that we never saw so far (like a presumably pocket sized bi-copter) so I am not sure if this thing will ever see the light of day...

One can hope
2020-7-13
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-13 14:34
Number 2 is already confirmed in the description. The gimbal part folds down for transport and folds up when it is going to be used.

I have no idea about the dimensions though. I am guessing either it will have a similar sized gimbal/camera with a base smaller than Osmo Acion, maybe something in the neighborhood of an elongated Gopro session; or the base would be more like the OA and the camera unit would be huge.

Ok.

I hope osmo pocket 2 has at least the same capabilities like MA2.

I just would like to see some information about the OP2. I dont say OP1 isnt good, it is outstanding camera for home use because of its stabilisation even in dark. But since they already releasing bigger things with their drones I would like to see those hand held also.

They should use same cameras for drones and hand held. Same production line, cheaper manufacturing ;) Since cameras are very small these days.
2020-7-13
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-13 22:46
Ok.

I hope osmo pocket 2 has at least the same capabilities like MA2.

That was my prediction from the beginning, as almost every phone above $150 has one of those new sensors. I would like to see the 1/1.7" one though
2020-7-14
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

By the way Amazon is selling the pocket for $250 now. Maybe there really is something new on the horizon
2020-7-15
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-15 13:24
By the way Amazon is selling the pocket for $250 now. Maybe there really is something new on the horizon

I hope so. I would like to get improved version to play with.

No OP offers in europe. Some selling 289€.

Sad DJI is not commenting anything about upcoming products. Forums are very popular.
2020-7-16
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-16 01:01
I hope so. I would like to get improved version to play with.

No OP offers in europe. Some selling 289€.

They are very strict about the upcoming products until official reveal. Normally there would be some leaks on "certain" websites/channels but this time everything is really quiet...
2020-7-16
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-16 12:53
They are very strict about the upcoming products until official reveal. Normally there would be some leaks on "certain" websites/channels but this time everything is really quiet...

I was filming my son while he was in sandbox. I wanted to put camera in the corner off my hands. Sadly OP cannot stand still so I was unable to do that. (Im not carrying pockets full of accessories and look like Homer Simpson).

This model in drawings could fix even that situation. I hope DJI releases that kind device with atleast 1/2 inch sensor.
2020-7-27
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-27 07:08
I was filming my son while he was in sandbox. I wanted to put camera in the corner off my hands. Sadly OP cannot stand still so I was unable to do that. (Im not carrying pockets full of accessories and look like Homer Simpson).

This model in drawings could fix even that situation. I hope DJI releases that kind device with atleast 1/2 inch sensor.

After buying almost everything available at first, I optimized my accessories quite a bit through time. But yes, I still carry a lot I have this base which fits the pocket and the wifi module together that is wide enough to provide support if you want to put it on a table, but also has a tripod mount hole at the bottom. That I guess was the best money I have spent on OP.(Something like that might have helped a bit in your situation)

This design will solve some problems, but I think it might compromise on some other aspects; like the hand held ergonomics of the current OP. Well we have to wait and see when/if it happens

I really have the gut feeling that it would be at least a 1/2" sensor, but I am hoping for bigger. Even the phones are coming out with 1/1.3" sensors nowadays, and I would rather pay a bit more to have a camera that won't be behind a $100 phone in less than a year....

2020-7-27
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-27 13:56
After buying almost everything available at first, I optimized my accessories quite a bit through time. But yes, I still carry a lot  I have this base which fits the pocket and the wifi module together that is wide enough to provide support if you want to put it on a table, but also has a tripod mount hole at the bottom. That I guess was the best money I have spent on OP.(Something like that might have helped a bit in your situation)

This design will solve some problems, but I think it might compromise on some other aspects; like the hand held ergonomics of the current OP. Well we have to wait and see when/if it happens

Hmm yeah I could try to find some space just for the wireless module. Most of my filming is not planned. OP is always in pocket when the time comes.

I dont know are ergonomics that bad. I think it is still better rather than handheld smartphone or action cam. And somehow pic looks like that you could slide gimbalcamera unit in and out. Maybe DJI planning interchangeable gimbal/camera / handle coming with new osmo series staff <--- before that happens we travel between solar systems.
2020-7-29
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Aavalaakso Posted at 7-29 22:55
Hmm yeah I could try to find some space just for the wireless module. Most of my filming is not planned. OP is always in pocket when the time comes.

I dont know are ergonomics that bad. I think it is still better rather than handheld smartphone or action cam. And somehow pic looks like that you could slide gimbalcamera unit in and out. Maybe DJI planning interchangeable gimbal/camera / handle  coming with new osmo series staff

Well I am looking forward to it already. However this new "contraption" turns out to function, I don't think we would be disappointed of the outcome

By the way Osmo Mobile 4 seems to be coming out as well:
https://dronedj.com/2020/07/30/d ... one-year-after-om3/

2020-7-31
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-31 17:26
Well I am looking forward to it already. However this new "contraption" turns out to function, I don't think we would be disappointed of the outcome

Yeah I noticed OM4 too.

Just thinking they already have a lot of code for Osmo Pocket they could use for Pocket 2. IMO it should not be huge work to release OP2.

They just released OM3. It is odd that Pocket is pretty "old" and nothing new from it. Not even bug fixes. And now OM4 coming..

I would like to see even a bit light end of the tunnel about OP2.
2020-8-17
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 7-31 17:26

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0149678.html

Check the View Patent Images PDF.

What do you think? I readed the whole PDF and now I look like O.O
2020-8-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Aavalaakso Posted at 8-17 10:24
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0149678.html

Check the View Patent Images PDF.

Well, it's definitely a DJI patent request. Interesting this was dated May 14th. Also interesting is it's loose specification in as much as they could sue anyone trying to copy it in any way including construction methods. No patents on the electronics I notice, or the file encoding method which on the Pocket at least seems unique. Looks like it could be another Christmas release if the patents went ahead.
Funny how the language used is so precise when applying for a patent but so loose when describing sales blurb for the current product. It may also mean of course that spare parts for the current model may become harder to get hold of when a new one comes out.
Yes. Interesting news.
2020-8-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules