DJI turned off all AirSense receivers outside US!!!
123Next >
8089 94 2020-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6698904 ft
  • >>>
Uruguay

I bought a USA version DJI Mavic Air 2 with Airsense (ADS-B receiver).

Right now I am oversears stationed at Latin American country.When the last upgade came in, my ADS-B receiver was decommissioned!

I called local DJI representative and they told me that was right.
DJI decommissioned all AirSense receivers around the wold (except USA) with this new update, even if you reverse de update it remains off.  

DJI: Pls give me my ADS-B back. This was bought wit it!

UK and around the world, be carefull if you buy a US version to use outside the country thinking you have a capable ADS-B drone,
you will end up without it...
2020-7-4
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

That seems like a really shortsighted decision. AirSense is a safety feature, and disabling it on hardware that is capable of receiving ADS-B seems counterintuitive. The only thing I can imagine is that it is a regulatory requirement — maybe because the Mavic Air 2 hardware certified in other countries doesn’t have the receiver hardware DJI isn’t allowed to use it. If that’s the case, I don’t see the feature coming back.
2020-7-4
Use props
djiuser_qlxRNQhNfWyw
New

Netherlands

I would also be interested in getting an answer to this question. I bought the US version equipped with ADS-B and have been using the drone in the EU region.

However till now I have not received any airsense cautions or warnings even though a helicopter was flying in the general area where I was flying during one of my last flights.
So this would confirm your suspicion about DJI turning the function off.

Could someone elaborate?
2020-7-5
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

You will only receive a warning if the helicopter has ADS-B Out, which many manned aircraft don’t have.
2020-7-5
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Maybe the firmware will re-enable it once the drone is back in USA...
2020-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Seems wrong for DJI to post disable an important safety feature you paid for.  

Imagine, car maker disabling reverse safety braking because you drove it from U.S. to Canada or Mexico.
2020-7-5
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

djiuser_qlxRNQhNfWyw Posted at 7-5 13:59
I would also be interested in getting an answer to this question. I bought the US version equipped with ADS-B and have been using the drone in the EU region.

However till now I have not received any airsense cautions or warnings even though a helicopter was flying in the general area where I was flying during one of my last flights.

You can check if the traffic (in this case the helicopter) is transmitting ADS-B with Flighradar app installed on your phone.
If you see it on the FR map near your position, you should see it using DJi Fly and Your MavicAir2.
Thanks!
2020-7-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. As of the moment, only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone at present. We are working on it to ensure drones sold in other regions will be equipped with such a feature in the near future. If there is any information released, it will be updated on the official website ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding.
2020-7-7
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

I'm wondering what kind of work is required to provide something that already exist.
Maybe the hardest work is to update the sentence above that is the same from the beginning.   How much saving per drone sold without airsense at full price ?

2020-7-7
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-7 00:12
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. As of the moment, only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone at present. We are working on it to ensure drones sold in other regions will be equipped with such a feature in the near future. If there is any information released, it will be updated on the official website ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding.

i honestly don't understand how DJI moderators here can miss the point by that much on so many topics. Your reply has literally no connection to the problem posted here, you just pasted the standard "why no ads-b in Europe" answer, which is NOT what is being discussed here.
2020-7-7
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

Ice_2k Posted at 7-7 01:36
i honestly don't understand how DJI moderators here can miss the point by that much on so many topics. Your reply has literally no connection to the problem posted here, you just pasted the standard "why no ads-b in Europe" answer, which is NOT what is being discussed here.

I think now it could be true what someone told me about that: "this is part of the Us-China trade war. US should have patents rights on ASD-B use and the government should be secretly enforcing them."
2020-7-7
Use props
Mad Flyer
New

United Kingdom

It means DJI is highly deceptive and it's original claim that because of part shortage only US versions will have ADSB was false, clearly there is another reason. It is for such reason that I myself don't buy DJI products as you never really own the product and can't rely on it working purely because of DJI mendling such as forced no fly zones and updates lack of honesty. I pity you sir for trusting this company.
2020-7-8
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

Mad Flyer Posted at 7-8 10:11
It means DJI is highly deceptive and it's original claim that because of part shortage only US versions will have ADSB was false, clearly there is another reason. It is for such reason that I myself don't buy DJI products as you never really own the product and can't rely on it working purely because of DJI mendling such as forced no fly zones and updates lack of honesty. I pity you sir for trusting this company.

I agree they have the worst customer service, but they drones are incredible capable for the money, even the new little one Mavic Mini 2.7k its amazing with good lite.
As per the No Fly zone I don not worry cause I have all permits so can unlock anytime as needed.

At the end I am really upset they took away the ADS-B (AirSense) my drone allready had!
2020-7-8
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Is there any chance you need a special permit, approval etc. to use ADS-B in some countries? Maybe that is why they disabled the existing ones outside US.
2020-7-8
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

CemAygun Posted at 7-8 14:12
Is there any chance you need a special permit, approval etc. to use ADS-B in some countries? Maybe that is why they disabled the existing ones outside US.

No. No chances. No ADS-B outside US.

2020-7-9
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

Mad Flyer Posted at 7-8 10:11
It means DJI is highly deceptive and it's original claim that because of part shortage only US versions will have ADSB was false, clearly there is another reason. It is for such reason that I myself don't buy DJI products as you never really own the product and can't rely on it working purely because of DJI mendling such as forced no fly zones and updates lack of honesty. I pity you sir for trusting this company.

I do not trust them.
I use Dji drone because is the best bang for the money. In spirit this ashamed situation.

BTW, Remote ID and UTM is coming all around in a time. So, I do not worry about High altitude traffic. Like the ones using ADS-B.

Thank you!
2020-7-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Ok, here is another funny question: Unless it is required by law, why would one need ADS-B? With all the zoning and altitude limits, isn't it impossible to come across manned aircraft anyways?
2020-7-9
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

DJI has said, since first release of MA2 that Airsense only works in USA. I just figured there was some reason it wasn't ready yet elsewhere.
2020-7-9
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 7-9 14:02
Ok, here is another funny question: Unless it is required by law, why would one need ADS-B? With all the zoning and altitude limits, isn't it impossible to come across manned aircraft anyways?

ADS-B may not be required in the US, but the reality is that both manned and unmanned aircraft routinely fly outside the air spaces and altitude limits they are assigned. As such, AirSense is very useful in helping to deconflict the airspace.

The NTSB just concluded that damage on a Los Angeles news helicopter likely is the result of a collision with a drone. It’s not the first time such an accident has happened, and it won’t be the last. Irresponsible drone pilots sometimes seek exciting footage by intentionally flying near manned aircraft; we don’t know if that was the case here, but for responsible drone pilots, AirSense would help them avoid this type of situation by getting a warning about approaching manned aircraft.

NTSB Report
2020-7-9
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

ADS-B works in Canada as well  - not only in US.

MIrek
2020-7-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

what happens if you use it outside the usa and it didn't completely help you avoid a collision.  who would be a fault?
2020-7-9
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

Having ADS-B doesn’t shield you from responsibility in the event of a collision, nor does it make DJI responsible for alerting MA2 pilots of nearby aircraft.
2020-7-9
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Mirek L Posted at 7-9 19:05
ADS-B works in Canada as well  - not only in US.

MIrek

Hi Mirek.. have you actually  seen it working?  I have it enabled, air traffic up here is sparse,  so no indication that it's working for me so far.  In Canada, there is a 5 year mandate on getting it (ADS-B OUT) installed on all planes. So many will not trigger it anyway.  (just yet at least)

2020-7-10
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 7-10 10:02
Hi Mirek.. have you actually  seen it working?  I have it enabled, air traffic up here is sparse,  so no indication that it's working for me so far.  In Canada, there is a 5 year mandate on getting it (ADS-B OUT) installed on all planes. So many will not trigger it anyway.  (just yet at least)

Yes - it worked for me few times.
I live in west Ottawa close to few airports.
Sometimes I get a warning when a small plane is close by, sometimes I do not (I guess when the plane does not have a transponder).

Mirek
2020-7-10
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

The Saint Posted at 7-9 19:09
what happens if you use it outside the usa and it didn't completely help you avoid a collision.  who would be a fault?

The Pilot in command is always accountable. And as per aviation rules, always the eavier has the right of way.
2020-7-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-11 08:18
The Pilot in command is always accountable. And as per aviation rules, always the eavier has the right of way.

understood the rules ask that the drone pilot give way and avoid the collision, etc.

not sure what accountable means but I was getting at what would happen from a legal perspective if there is a collision.  does that have anything to do with use of airsense outside the usa?
2020-7-11
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

The Saint Posted at 7-11 09:16
understood the rules ask that the drone pilot give way and avoid the collision, etc.

not sure what accountable means but I was getting at what would happen from a legal perspective if there is a collision.  does that have anything to do with use of airsense outside the usa?

Check this:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7414567B2/en

ADS-B is a NASA (US Gov) patent.

This should be why they can not use ADS-B receivers outside USA.
This should be part of China/USA (Trump) economic trade war.
2020-7-11
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

Mirek L Posted at 7-10 10:42
Yes - it worked for me few times.
I live in west Ottawa close to few airports.
Sometimes I get a warning when a small plane is close by, sometimes I do not (I guess when the plane does not have a transponder).

Thanks... will keep it  on.
2020-7-11
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-11 09:51
Check this:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7414567B2/en

8JIJKadPox,

But it's not true. You can use ADS-B outside of US, just not outside of North America.
It works just fine in Canada.

Mirek
2020-7-13
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-7 00:12
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. As of the moment, only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone at present. We are working on it to ensure drones sold in other regions will be equipped with such a feature in the near future. If there is any information released, it will be updated on the official website ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding.

Hello DJI:

Any news?
As my Mavic Air2 is an US version and ADS-B equiped Dron I want my AirSense back as it was when purchased.

This was operative and DJI disconnected via software with the last update cause I am overseas right now.

Pls, revert it as it was originally!
2020-7-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

^just like most pieces of consumer-grade technology, you purchased the drone itself and not necessarily the usage rights.  you paid meaning you own the drone but you don't own the technology or the services it is equipped with and you don't necessarily own the rights to use it (however you please).  there are all kinds of remedies and solutions to your issues; however, I don't believe demanding it to be restored to the way you bought it is an option from a legal standpoint.  it is ordinary and customarily in the consumer electronics industry for upgrades to modify the software (which you to own) often in ways that you don't always agree with.  as I mentioned, there are fixed to this but you can't demand they "give it back."  were you not aware of the risk?  there are different rules and law applicable when people export certain equipment (like gps and other technology) as opposed to just leaving the country with it. ;)
2020-7-15
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

^^ Yep, read any software license.  You get to use it, but you don't own it.  So in some ways its the opposite with the drone, as pointed out by The Saint.  I am sorry for those outside of the North American market for not getting this tech just yet all the same.
2020-7-15
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

The Saint Posted at 7-15 15:31
^just like most pieces of consumer-grade technology, you purchased the drone itself and not necessarily the usage rights.  you paid meaning you own the drone but you don't own the technology or the services it is equipped with and you don't necessarily own the rights to use it (however you please).  there are all kinds of remedies and solutions to your issues; however, I don't believe demanding it to be restored to the way you bought it is an option from a legal standpoint.  it is ordinary and customarily in the consumer electronics industry for upgrades to modify the software (which you to own) often in ways that you don't always agree with.  as I mentioned, there are fixed to this but you can't demand they "give it back."  were you not aware of the risk?  there are different rules and law applicable when people export certain equipment (like gps and other technology) as opposed to just leaving the country with it. ;)

I understand your saying.

But Dji said AirSense is not worldwide available due hardware shortage. And this is not my case. I had and have the hardware.

This was a fully functional equipment and right now they limited the use outside the US. It's a very different thing.
2020-7-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-15 18:08

But Dji said AirSense is not worldwide available due hardware shortage. And this is not my case. I had and have the hardware.

oh my it sounds like you may have been misled or a misunderstanding. I don't think that's what dji meant exactly.  I don't know much about the issue but I'm almost positive if I bought up a bunch of drones and set up shop out of my apartment in central Utah and I sold 25% markup airsense drones to worldwide customers to make us for this "hardware deficiency", pretty sure I'd get a nasty phone call.
2020-7-15
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-15 19:48
oh my it sounds like you may have been misled or a misunderstanding. I don't think that's what dji meant exactly.  I don't know much about the issue but I'm almost positive if I bought up a bunch of drones and set up shop out of my apartment in central Utah and I sold 25% markup airsense drones to worldwide customers to make us for this "hardware deficiency", pretty sure I'd get a nasty phone call.

Well there seems to be a lot speculation on this matter without concrete statements from Dji who seem a bit all over the place with their support info on this matter I was told that the feature worked outside north america but it could not be switched off and it would only give you notifications provided your aircraft had a strong GPS Receiption which is logical, if this was a change after the latest firmware upgrade I don't know but certainly it would avoid the problem of false notifications because your GPS was a bit off.
As far as different laws are concerned preventing it's use outside north america not too sure since the ads-b on other models works fine, see attached examples of items easily available the MA2 one costs around £25

MAVIC AIR 2 ADS-B RECEIVER ON ADS-B BOARD NOTE 2 SURFACE MOUNT ANTENNA:

AND THIS uAvionix PingRX ADS-B Receiver (UAV & UAS Applications) FOR PIXHAWK

2020-7-16
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Or maybe as some people report on utube that airsense slowed down their video reception on certain tablet and it improved after they turned it off, there could be other reasons like this why DJI are wishy washy about their story kinda like the other thing that was released from them there parts earlier on in the year can't remember what now but they are probably working on an upgrade.
2020-7-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-15 18:08

It's interesting that no-one else has confirmed the issue you've reported.
2020-7-16
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

Labroides Posted at 7-16 15:59
It's interesting that no-one else has confirmed the issue you've reported.

Cool. Then, I should be lying...
Pls, use your brain. How many people are in this almost unique situation?
2020-7-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 7-16 19:38
Cool. Then, I should be lying...
Pls, use your brain. How many people are in this almost unique situation?

Understood ... but I'd still like to see confirmation before I accept what you say.
2020-7-16
Use props
djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149511 ft
Philippines

Most of the MA2s being manufactured now have the ADSB chip installed. However, it has the 978 UAT receiver which only works in the US and Canada. There is no point turning it on anywhere else in the world. "978 UAT transponders are limited to use in the United States, so pilots traveling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean should choose a 1090ES transponder." -cincinnatiavionics.com. If you return to the US or Canada the Fly app will ask if you want to turn it on.
2020-7-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules