DJI turned off all AirSense receivers outside US!!!
123Next >
8078 94 2020-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W Posted at 7-16 23:45
Most of the MA2s being manufactured now have the ADSB chip installed. However, it has the 978 UAT receiver which only works in the US and Canada. There is no point turning it on anywhere else in the world. "978 UAT transponders are limited to use in the United States, so pilots traveling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean should choose a 1090ES transponder." -cincinnatiavionics.com. If you return to the US or Canada the Fly app will ask if you want to turn it on.

Now that is curious, where do you get your information from, do you have a data sheet on that chip DJI are using. Why would DJI state that it was purely a shortage of this part that it would initially only be available in North America. It would not be practical to have 2 seperate chips given that the uAvionix PingRX ADS-B Receiver for example has dual frequency and detects commercial aircraft threats on1090MHz and 978MHz within a 100 statute mile radius in real time and has been around some time and has 2 antennas. On the ADS-B circuit on the MA2 located on it's GPS board it also looks like it has two antennas although mounted on the surface. Now since you made this statement as to it's limitation can you verify it with information to this effect supplied by DJI. Do you have techical information from the producer of said receiver to back up your statement.??? Cincinnatiavionics is not DJI's supplier so I assume your just assuming that DJI's unit in MA2 is so limited.
2020-7-17
Use props
Ptuchik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 201503 ft
  • >>>
Armenia

DJI Paladins are totally useless in this forum.
1. They are not fully aware what is happening in DJI
2. They don't understand what the customers are talking about, just replying with some standard texts
2020-7-17
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ptuchik Posted at 7-17 01:10
DJI Paladins are totally useless in this forum.
1. They are not fully aware what is happening in DJI
2. They don't understand what the customers are talking about, just replying with some standard texts

A mission has to be embarked on to interogate their technical staff, anyone speak chinese? Oh! maybe a hot poker up butt to lossen tongue would also be required too. Confession is good for the soul.
2020-7-17
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mirek L Posted at 7-9 19:05
ADS-B works in Canada as well  - not only in US.

MIrek

Byłoby dobrze, gdybyś wypróbował swój w Polsce i zgłosił wyniki.
2020-7-17
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I'm curious how this will end up. If the reciever is not compatible worldwide why put it in EU units?
2020-7-17
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 7-17 07:01
I'm curious how this will end up. If the reciever is not compatible worldwide why put it in EU units?

The problem is that DJI is not openly honest about this and refuses to give any meaninful information about the matter. They refuse to give any technical information about the ADS-B installed on the US issued GPS Board. What it the matter with this company, why can't they just answer the technical questions about the ads-b they use and say whether they have or have not disabled it's use outside of north america. Who makes is for them, maybe uAvionix??
2020-7-17
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Down In Flames Posted at 7-17 05:41
Byłoby dobrze, gdybyś wypróbował swój w Polsce i zgłosił wyniki.

Maybe next year :-)
2020-7-17
Use props
djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149511 ft
Philippines

Down In Flames Posted at 7-17 01:02
Now that is curious, where do you get your information from, do you have a data sheet on that chip DJI are using. Why would DJI state that it was purely a shortage of this part that it would initially only be available in North America. It would not be practical to have 2 seperate chips given that the uAvionix PingRX ADS-B Receiver for example has dual frequency and detects commercial aircraft threats on1090MHz and 978MHz within a 100 statute mile radius in real time and has been around some time and has 2 antennas. On the ADS-B circuit on the MA2 located on it's GPS board it also looks like it has two antennas although mounted on the surface. Now since you made this statement as to it's limitation can you verify it with information to this effect supplied by DJI. Do you have techical information from the producer of said receiver to back up your statement.??? Cincinnatiavionics is not DJI's supplier so I assume your just assuming that DJI's unit in MA2 is so limited.

I do not know about the specs on the ADSB chip in the MA2. I do note the following from the AOPA website:
At this time, only the United States is allowing the 978UAT datalink for ADS-B Out. If you plan to fly in ADS-B airspace outside of the United States, a 1090ES datalink—using a Mode S Extended Squitter transponder—will be required. Because the list of countries with ADS-B Out requirements and proposals is growing, we strongly recommend equipping with 1090ES if you plan to fly internationally. Countries that employ space-based ADS-B may require 1090ES with antenna diversity, meaning transponder antennas on both the belly and top of the aircraft. Remember that for countries without a mandate, there is no ADS-B Out requirement.

I do not know the internal workings at DJI nor have technical knowledge about the requirements of the two types of datalinks, but the fact that DJI turns off ADSB outside the US is likely to have something to do with the 1090ES datalink not being functional.
2020-7-17
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

i dont think you are missing much not having it active over there in europe.  if you are flying safely the odds that a fixed wing or rotary craft is going to collide with your drone is near zero.  i fly at or below the 400ftt limit and living about 15 miles from a major international airport i have never seen a plane below 2500 ft.  
2020-7-17
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W Posted at 7-17 13:47
I do not know about the specs on the ADSB chip in the MA2. I do note the following from the AOPA website:
At this time, only the United States is allowing the 978UAT datalink for ADS-B Out. If you plan to fly in ADS-B airspace outside of the United States, a 1090ES datalink—using a Mode S Extended Squitter transponder—will be required. Because the list of countries with ADS-B Out requirements and proposals is growing, we strongly recommend equipping with 1090ES if you plan to fly internationally. Countries that employ space-based ADS-B may require 1090ES with antenna diversity, meaning transponder antennas on both the belly and top of the aircraft. Remember that for countries without a mandate, there is no ADS-B Out requirement.

Well I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that it may be like the one below only cheaper, better they just put a telemetry input on that MA2 to make it more universal but alas no.
UAvionix PingRX is the world’s smallest and lightest ADS-B receiver. At just 5 grams pingRX receives position reports from surrounding aircraft in real-time. Remote pilots receive audio and visual alerts* as aircraft enter the surrounding airspace. The small footprint and low weight of pingRX results in greatly enhanced situational awareness with zero impact on performance. *Alerts and avoidance capability vary with installed autopilot.
Detects commercial aircraft threats on 1090MHz and 978MHz within a 100 statute mile radius in real time
User programmable spherical radius for threat reporting
Implements ‘Sense and Avoid’ for drone operations in the national airspace
Direct MAVLink integration with Pixhawk autopilot and APM Mission Planner
Integration with DJI using the DJI SDK
Cross-Platform Support
Increased awareness and safe operation is not limited to one platform.
uAvionix is working to integrate pingRX with multiple autopilots.
Integrate pingRX with DJI Onboard SDK
Integrate pingRX with Arudpilot
ADS-B (Automatic Direct Surveillance Broadcast) is the foundation of the next generation airspace.  ADS-B allows aircraft to exchange position and course information directly in real-time.  pingRX receives the position reports from surrounding aircraft and provides the information to the drone autopilot and remote pilot.  The FAA is requiring all manned aircraft be equipped with ADS-B by the year 2020.
Sense
pingRX receives the aircraft ADS-B broadcast automatically.
When an aircraft reaches a specified distance from the drone the remote pilot receives an audio/visual alert via telemetry down-link.
Calculate
pingRX continues to update the remote pilot and autopilot with threat aircraft position and course in real-time.
Using the incoming information the drone autopilot calculates remaining time until threat aircraft will be within the programmable threat radius.
Avoid
Remote pilot analyzes information and moves to avoid the threat aircraft.
If no action is taken by the remote pilot, the autopilot can be programmed to perform automatic avoidance.

These are priced at         
£190.00 each on ebay will fit a DIY drone. End of the day ADSB is not the main selling point of MA2.

2020-7-17
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

rhexis Posted at 7-17 13:59
i dont think you are missing much not having it active over there in europe.  if you are flying safely the odds that a fixed wing or rotary craft is going to collide with your drone is near zero.  i fly at or below the 400ftt limit and living about 15 miles from a major international airport i have never seen a plane below 2500 ft.

Well in truth you don't need it at all in line of sight but we all love extra gizmos just wanted them to work everywhere and wanted them yesterday wah! wah! Well to be expected from boys that love toys.
2020-7-17
Use props
djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149511 ft
Philippines

ADS-B had nothing to do with my reasons for purchasing MA2. It is simply something I will never use. I keep the drone at 400 feet or lower, and planes don't fly through my neighborhood below 400'. I live on the edge of an Authorization Zone for a major international airport. Using flightradar24 I know that the planes are at at 2500' AGL when they pass over me. The chance of an airspace conflict is zero.
2020-7-17
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

I don't think that big airliners can actually come in contact with drones, there are restriction zones around airports and airfields, but small airplanes or lifequard choppers/aircrafts can fly low in unexpected places and that's where can be ADS-B handy to inform drone operator...
2020-7-18
Use props
K3v1n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158698 ft
United States

So for what it is worth, I can confirm this is unfortunately true.  I have a US spec drone I bought in US but I'm currently not in US.  When the drone gets a GPS lock outside the US the icon within DJI Fly disappears.  See attached screenshots. I initially told my iPhone I'm in New York, and started the MA2 inside (no GPS).  Once outside and the GPS picked up signal, it took the icon away.

This seems like the possibilities of a class action lawsuit... DJI said airsense wasn't available for drones outside US because of supply issues (hardware) and I don't recall them telling you they'd disable ADS-B if your ADS-B capable drone was outside of the US.

I'm a pilot as well, so i can say ADS-B does work outside the US (as others have pointed out, flightaware and other services use ADS-B receivers in order to show aircraft on maps).

2020-7-24
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6698904 ft
  • >>>
Uruguay

K3v1n Posted at 7-24 04:52
So for what it is worth, I can confirm this is unfortunately true.  I have a US spec drone I bought in US but I'm currently not in US.  When the drone gets a GPS lock outside the US the icon within DJI Fly disappears.  See attached screenshots. I initially told my iPhone I'm in New York, and started the MA2 inside (no GPS).  Once outside and the GPS picked up signal, it took the icon away.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Thank you K3v1n!
2020-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

So for what it is worth, I can confirm this is unfortunately true.  I have a US spec drone I bought in US but I'm currently not in US.  When the drone gets a GPS lock outside the US the icon within DJI Fly disappears.  See attached screenshots. I initially told my iPhone I'm in New York, and started the MA2 inside (no GPS).  Once outside and the GPS picked up signal, it took the icon away.
[view_image]
[view_image]

"DJI said airsense wasn't available for drones outside US because of supply issues (hardware) and I don't recall them telling you they'd disable ADS-B if your ADS-B capable drone was outside of the US."

But this isn't legally binding.  They can't change their mind?  They can't make changes to their drone's software without first getting your permission?  All they have to say is foreign governments told them to turn it off or the data received outside the usa was unreliable at best.  I don't think this rises to class action lawsuit but it is possible you might have an individual claim.  Did you ask for your money back?  I would think the extent of your damages for them turning it off is about $1000.
2020-7-24
Use props
K3v1n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158698 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-24 07:48
"DJI said airsense wasn't available for drones outside US because of supply issues (hardware) and I don't recall them telling you they'd disable ADS-B if your ADS-B capable drone was outside of the US."

But this isn't legally binding.  They can't change their mind?  They can't make changes to their drone's software without first getting your permission?  All they have to say is foreign governments told them to turn it off or the data received outside the usa was unreliable at best.  I don't think this rises to class action lawsuit but it is possible you might have an individual claim.  Did you ask for your money back?  I would think the extent of your damages for them turning it off is about $1000.

Well. Apple slowed down phones that customers paid for without their knowledge.  That resulted in a settlement.

Verizon disabled Bluetooth features on a particular handset which supported those features. That resulted in a settlement.

How is this different?  Dji provided a feature, didn’t say they would limit that functionality and then did after the fact. As some have stated they paid a premium to get a US spec device.

Yes the limitation would be at most 1000 per device.
2020-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

K3v1n Posted at 7-24 22:09
Well. Apple slowed down phones that customers paid for without their knowledge.  That resulted in a settlement.

Verizon disabled Bluetooth features on a particular handset which supported those features. That resulted in a settlement.

I get your point.   I'm trying to find out where dji said buy this drone and use this feature outside the usa and pay us extra for It and have a good time.  and then they took it away, is that what happened?  did dji ask customers to go buy the usa version of this drone (instead of their own country's drone) and take it back home and enjoy the features?  maybe they just didn't do a good job of keeping you excluded from the drone services you were not intended to use.  I guess I'm not seeing where the flyer is being deprived of something that is expected or promised to them.  sounds to me like the flyer tried to go around the system and got blocked, am I right?

if the america government turns on s.a. (or turns off gps) and a billion electronic devices go sideways, will you sue the manufacturer?  I guess we don't know the real reasons this is happening perhaps it takes going to court to discover that.
2020-7-25
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

So for what it is worth, I can confirm this is unfortunately true.  I have a US spec drone I bought in US but I'm currently not in US.  When the drone gets a GPS lock outside the US the icon within DJI Fly disappears.  See attached screenshots. I initially told my iPhone I'm in New York, and started the MA2 inside (no GPS).  Once outside and the GPS picked up signal, it took the icon away.
[view_image]
[view_image]

I just confirmed the same with mine using Android and Fake GPS inside my home (without GPS signal).

This is a software related to DJI for an Airsense (ADS-B) drone (US model)
2020-7-27
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

[view_image]
[view_image]

It´s official. AIRSENSE is disabled via software if the drone flies outside US/Canada territories.

I just received this from DJI:

In regards to your inquiry, after confirming with our R&D team, the Mavic air 2 can only use ADS-B function in the United States/Canada, other regions don't support this function now. If your drone has ADS-B function, when you leave the United States/Canada, this function can't be used. And the ADS-B function does not take effect because this function is not available in other regions. At present, this function is only implemented in the United States and Canada. If the aircraft with ADS-B fly in another country and recognizes the country code other than the United States and Canada, this function will not take effect.
Please stay tuned to DJI's official website, if we have some new information, we will update on the official website.

2020-8-4
Use props
Down In Flames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W Posted at 7-16 23:45
Most of the MA2s being manufactured now have the ADSB chip installed. However, it has the 978 UAT receiver which only works in the US and Canada. There is no point turning it on anywhere else in the world. "978 UAT transponders are limited to use in the United States, so pilots traveling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean should choose a 1090ES transponder." -cincinnatiavionics.com. If you return to the US or Canada the Fly app will ask if you want to turn it on.

Well problem is there are too many conflicting reports heard that DJI says it has dual frequency and on circuit board it does look like two suface mount antenas, as to option to switch it off or on well heard that someone got told by DJI that it's not there, then again they are always changing and modifying, at the end of the day in this totaly crazy world I don't care, it's a good drone for the price.
2020-8-5
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

What a shame that ADS-B is turned off outside north america! Despite the fact that only bigger planes over 5700kg (I can meet smaller planes at most places) need to be equipped with ADS-B in EU since June 2020, I beliee it is good to have ADS-B working worldwide.
2020-8-6
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

So, after the first alibi 'component shortage due to coronavirus' we get a new one : 'ADS-B is not operating on airplanes outside US'
Brillant ...
2020-8-12
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26355 ft
Argentina

i just bought here in argentina a mavic air 2, fly more combo, it says NORTH AMERICA in the box, and i confirmed with dji that it is the N.A version, problem is it didnt come with the ads-b receiver, not the sticker, not the software! any ideas why? thanks a lot!
2020-10-5
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-5 15:52
i just bought here in argentina a mavic air 2, fly more combo, it says NORTH AMERICA in the box, and i confirmed with dji that it is the N.A version, problem is it didnt come with the ads-b receiver, not the sticker, not the software! any ideas why? thanks a lot!

All North America's versions selling outside US doesn't come anymore with ADS-B receiver installed.
It's a shame.
2020-10-5
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Argentina

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 10-5 17:34
All North America's versions selling outside US doesn't come anymore with ADS-B receiver installed.
It's a shame.
thanks for your reply!!!! so its not that its inside but not activated, it isnt installed? i bought one in june here that then sold it, and came with it! crazy! do you know if it has the 10km range or less? because i confirmed its fcc!

thanks again
2020-10-5
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-5 22:46
thanks for your reply!!!! so its not that its inside but not activated, it isnt installed? i bought one in june here that then sold it, and came with it! crazy! do you know if it has the 10km range or less? because i confirmed its fcc!

thanks again

That's correct. It doesn't come anymore with the hardware inside if equipment it's bought outside US.
But still they are FCC.
2020-10-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-5 22:46
thanks for your reply!!!! so its not that its inside but not activated, it isnt installed? i bought one in june here that then sold it, and came with it! crazy! do you know if it has the 10km range or less? because i confirmed its fcc!

thanks again

so are you buying and reselling drones in your region based on this feature, is that why this is so important to you?
2020-10-6
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Argentina

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 10-6 13:41
That's correct. It doesn't come anymore with the hardware inside if equipment it's bought outside US.
But still they are FCC.

this is the reply i received from dji, its installed, not activated!

Currently, Mavic Air 2 units equipped with AirSense ADS-B will initially only be available in North America. Upon checking the serial number you have provided which is 3N3Bxxxxxxzz is a North American version and is equipped with ADS-B.
2020-10-7
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Argentina

The Saint Posted at 10-6 14:54
so are you buying and reselling drones in your region based on this feature, is that why this is so important to you?

you want to talk to a psychologist? i can give you the number, looks like you need help!
2020-10-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-7 05:28
you want to talk to a psychologist? i can give you the number, looks like you need help!

no I'm just curious.
2020-10-7
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Argentina

The Saint Posted at 10-7 05:36
no I'm just curious.

sold the first one i bought, because i got an offer of 40% over the price i paid! bought it the other day, again, 1000usd which is the same price as in the usa (which is unheard of in argentina), so i was curious why it didnt have the ads-b sticker like the first one i bought, and i was afraid i got the european which has less range than the american one
2020-10-7
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-7 06:03
sold the first one i bought, because i got an offer of 40% over the price i paid! bought it the other day, again, 1000usd which is the same price as in the usa (which is unheard of in argentina), so i was curious why it didnt have the ads-b sticker like the first one i bought, and i was afraid i got the european which has less range than the american one

You can do this thest (I did it, and works):

Android phone.
Install Fake GPS.
Make your position any place within US.
Turn on your Mavic Air2 inside a house or building, not close enough a window to receive GPS.
Connect remote, phone and DFY Fly.
You should see the indication AirSense is working on your DjiFly screen.
2020-10-7
Use props
djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W
lvl.2
Argentina

8JlJDKadkPox Posted at 10-7 09:50
You can do this thest (I did it, and works):

Android phone.

tried, didnt see any change! how would i know, the settings options change? ive sent a mail to dji an by my serial they confirmed me that my unit has it installed but no enabled! really dont know!
2020-10-8
Use props
8JlJDKadkPox
lvl.3
  • >>>
Uruguay

djiuser_yv12od2fuT1W Posted at 10-8 09:51
tried, didnt see any change! how would i know, the settings options change? ive sent a mail to dji an by my serial they confirmed me that my unit has it installed but no enabled! really dont know!

If you are planning to fly your Mavic Air2 outside US, it doesn´t matter if it has or not ADS-B: it will not work.

Check this post above: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=2#pid2224978

You should see this:

2020-10-9
Use props
lowflyermike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

I just bought my Air 2, picked it up at the Post Office in Texas. I live just across the border in Mexico. When I got home and did all the usual updates etc and activated it I found that Air Sense is no where to be found.  I'm hoping when I cross back into Texas to go fly it Air Sense will show back up.
2020-12-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

lowflyermike Posted at 12-9 08:03
I just bought my Air 2, picked it up at the Post Office in Texas. I live just across the border in Mexico. When I got home and did all the usual updates etc and activated it I found that Air Sense is no where to be found.  I'm hoping when I cross back into Texas to go fly it Air Sense will show back up.

AirSense/ADS-B has been a topic of discussion for quite some time and there is a lot of conflicting information along with a significant amount of misinformation.

In the United States there are requirements for ADS-B.  ADS-B only work if the aircrafts in the surrounding area equipped with ADS-B Out transmitters.  

ADS-B is a wave technology and therefore is regulated by the FCC or the equivalent in other countries.  Some jurisdictions around the world have not approve the frequency for ADS-B.  This situation is similar to the FCC v CE issue of signal power regulations.

ADS-B is not being implemented rapidly around the world at the rate and aggressive mandated time table that United States is using.  From a safety standpoint it makes sense for DJI to disable the feature.  Given the Mavic Air 2 is equipped with ADS-B pilots in other regions where it is enable but not useful because aircraft are not required to have it may result in costly and protracted legal suits that the technology failed.  

In my case, ADS-B is a great feature as I live in an area where ADS-B is required when entering the airspace for all not military aircraft.  Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society and a world that for some reason want to have petty regulation and debates on established and proven safety protocols.  
2020-12-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 7-9 14:02
Ok, here is another funny question: Unless it is required by law, why would one need ADS-B? With all the zoning and altitude limits, isn't it impossible to come across manned aircraft anyways?

Ultra Light aircraft.
If there's a slight breeze blowing in your face you can't hear them approaching from behind.
2020-12-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

What do you know about the countries rules in which you are flying?  Do they permit a system that would recognize ads-b?  
Do they even have the technology to transmit an ads-b signal?  
Are there legal restrictions that may prevent the use of ads-b (licensing) outside of the US?  
Are there complicationg legal reasons dictated by the out-of-USA countries that restrict the use of such technology?
Did you purchase the drone knowing you would not be flying in the US?
2020-12-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

WebParrot Posted at 12-9 12:25
Ultra Light aircraft.
If there's a slight breeze blowing in your face you can't hear them approaching from behind.

Ah, I did not know they also had ADS-B...
2020-12-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules