Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Had a few flights in an other area of my country. (170 km from home)

a) MM : needed a compass calibration (this always when i move > 50 km or so from last cal point)
b) MA2 : no need for a compass calibration.

Had my MA2 in the air with no GPS connection at take-off. (on purpose)

I did a hand-take-off and after finger-tap the app i looked at my MA2, missing a important message as seen in the video.
First part of the flight in OPTI mode, but in the FlyApp all looks normal.
So a beginner mistake is easy made, for sure as the app shows "Take-off is permitted"

[ wrong BTW Home point (in this flight) is set with 8 satellites and a reception value of 4 on the bar. (this time 4 GPS and 4 GLONASS) ]

EDIT Home point (in this flight) is set with 8 satellites and a good reception. (this time 4 GPS and 4 GLONASS)In the FlyApp you cannot see the reception of sats, i think now that the colour of the icon is;
red = not enough sats and reception,
orange = enough sats but bad reception,
white = enough sats and good reception (so HP can be set and in a GPS lock mode)
END EDIT

For DJI #1 : is it a good idea to keep the "No GPS message" on the screen and let the user clicks it away ?
For DJI #2 : is it a good idea to inform the 'pilot' that his/her drone is in OPTI mode ?

cheers
JJB

2020-7-5
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree.
2020-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

So if you get the “Home point is updated” audio or Fly app message you’re good...or in your case with hand takeoff watching for green status lights to flash means HP is updated.  All these mean you have GPS, right???
2020-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Some good practical ideas. With the calibration, all new dji drones are fitted with a look up table, for all intents and purposes it’s basically a spread sheet which informs the craft that it’s in a new location forcing calibration so this looks like it’s the future for dji drones, not sure if mini is equipped but Air 1 M2 and Air 2.
Yes it’s true calibration is not needed, but calibration is now almost foolproof and will not allow take off if calibration is not performed correctly, so in some ways it may help.
This was first fitted in Air 1 and some myself included had problems with been asked to calibrate when only short distance moved and for some all the time, it improved with M2 but still 50km and I think Air2 will be similar. So I don’t think this will change not for this craft anyways.
2020-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 7-5 09:40
Some good practical ideas. With the calibration, all new dji drones are fitted with a look up table, for all intents and purposes it’s basically a spread sheet which informs the craft that it’s in a new location forcing calibration so this looks like it’s the future for dji drones, not sure if mini is equipped but Air 1 M2 and Air 2.
Yes it’s true calibration is not needed, but calibration is now almost foolproof and will not allow take off if calibration is not performed correctly, so in some ways it may help.
This was first fitted in Air 1 and some myself included had problems with been asked to calibrate when only short distance moved and for some all the time, it improved with M2 but still 50km and I think Air2 will be similar. So I don’t think this will change not for this craft anyways.

Nope, MA2 is different from the MM.

MM needs to have a calibration if last compass calibration is > approx 50 km than the new take-off spot.

My Mavic Air 2 did not needed a compass calibration, and it has move 170 km away from the last cal position.

My MA2 had not have 1 compass calibration after unboxing! in every place i fly compass is spot on.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 7-5 09:03
So if you get the “Home point is updated” audio or Fly app message you’re good...or in your case with hand takeoff watching for green status lights to flash means HP is updated.  All these mean you have GPS, right???

I normally wait for the message HomePoint updated, check on the map.
But as you see in the video, when the sat number turned into green (8 or more AND good reception) the HP is updated and your are good to go.

But 8 is not that much, if you loose 1 or more sats > into OPTI or ATTI.

So my best practise is to wait for few more sats, and if i start with only 8 than only in a free open area.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-5 10:37
I normally wait for the message HomePoint updated, check on the map.
But as you see in the video, when the sat number turned into green (8 or more AND good reception) the HP is updated and your are good to go.

Sorry I'm being anal here but I just want to understand this.  You say that once you get 8 satellites the home point is recorded but I don't see that anywhere in the manual. Can you provide a reference??? I must be overlooking it.  Am I wrong that HP updated audio or message on Fly app or rapidly blinking green status indicator lights after takeoff all confirm you have GPS and home point updated???  It seems like seeing 8 satellites is a good thing but until you get one of the three confirmations I just stated you may not be in P-GPS.
2020-7-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nice find JJB, Yeah due to this we will most likely see a lot of so called fly aways come on here. This post should be pinned for users to see.
2020-7-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 7-5 10:37
I normally wait for the message HomePoint updated, check on the map.

Good points JJB - for the record I don't take off until I have 12. Always have, always will and never a lost a drone in 12million feet.
2020-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 7-5 10:33
Nope, MA2 is different from the MM.

MM needs to have a calibration if last compass calibration is > approx 50 km than the new take-off spot.

I understand mini might not be the same, but the point I’m making is new mavics are now fitted with look up tables so the craft is aware it has moved to different location .
2020-7-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very good points JJB. Thanks.
2020-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 7-5 11:04
Sorry I'm being anal here but I just want to understand this.  You say that once you get 8 satellites the home point is recorded but I don't see that anywhere in the manual. Can you provide a reference??? I must be overlooking it.  Am I wrong that HP updated audio or message on Fly app or rapidly blinking green status indicator lights after takeoff all confirm you have GPS and home point updated???  It seems like seeing 8 satellites is a good thing but until you get one of the three confirmations I just stated you may not be in P-GPS.

Hi Rustic,

It is not in the manual. My experience is that having 7 or 8 satellites (GPS and/or GLNASS) AND and good reception DJI software will set HP, craft if flying in a P-GPS mode.
To be honest; i never watch the lights on my drones and try to understand what they saying....

Having a minimum of GPS sats for a GPS lock is not a good idea when flying in an area when you can loose some. So 11 or 12 etc is better to start a flight.

My check is to wait for the message HP is set and check and value the number of SATs for a flight.

As you see in the video, take-off was permitted and fly mode was Normal. BUT actually i was flying in OPTI mode.  Confusing so i think DJI should change this and give the correct information on the screen!

cheers
JJB

2020-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-5 23:47
Hi Rustic,

It is not in the manual. My experience is that having 7 or 8 satellites (GPS and/or GLNASS) AND and good reception DJI software will set HP, craft if flying in a P-GPS mode.

Yeah...I totally agree on confusing.  And a hand takeoff is a busy time anyway what with twirling blades in front of you and all. I, too, don’t use the status lights that much but because of your incident I will in the future. I don’t always hear the “Home Point is updated” audio but it will be real easy to look for rapidly blinking green lights since my eyes are locked on the drone anyway.  That will confirm I have a HP and GPS. The other answer is not to takeoff until you get the HP is Updated message even though you have the takeoff permitted message. I have found that takes a bit longer when just taking off gets an immediate “HP is updated” message.The real answer is in your request to DJI to replace the takeoff permitted with something like OPTI or GPS permitted.
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and recommendation to the designated DJI support team for further attention. Thank you and safe flying.
2020-7-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-7 02:38
Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and recommendation to the designated DJI support team for further attention. Thank you and safe flying.

Thanks Paladin, hope this will be corrected in the next update of the fly app.

btw, have a look at this posting < https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=&page=1  number 49

Same kind of issue, your drone users need more relevant information.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

JJB,

I believe that all warnings which are displayed on the screen should also have audio.
It seems that DJI does audio for most of the warnings and messages but forgot to do it for some (like your GPS warning).

I added this suggestion to my list of DJI Fly app improvements: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216584

Mirek
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JJB* Posted at 7-7 06:17
Thanks Paladin, hope this will be corrected in the next update of the fly app.

btw, have a look at this posting < https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=208049&extra=&page=1  number 49

You are more than welcome and thank you for the additional information. I will forward these additional information to our designated DJI support team for further attention and evaluation. Thank you.
2020-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You might try to apply for a job at them.
I think you have some nice ideas!
2020-7-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 7-13 07:19
You might try to apply for a job at them.
I think you have some nice ideas!

guess i am too expensive for them.....
2020-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 7-13 08:13
guess i am too expensive for them.....

Ghegheghe.