12261 49 2020-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MSGRetired
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204203 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased the Osmo action as a replacement for my GoPro 7. I use the camera for Motovlog and use an external mic mounted in my helmet. I purchased the external mic adapter from the DJI store. The audio is Horrible and unusable. It sounds like the mic gain is way too high with the external adapter. I have tried 4 different microphones that all work perfectly on my GoPro set up and they all sound horrible on the Osmo Action with external mic adapter. Could you please consider adding microphone gain adjustments to the firmware.

2020-7-5
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is a clip of the bad audio. Same results with several different microphones. These Mic's sound Great on the GoPro.
2020-7-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I removed all my posts,    wind will always win, want to control your gain get one a gain controller, this forum is about helping a new person with  the camera out, troubles like this never will get properly addressed, unless you get to the   Customer service agaent by phone, DJI is all CHAT.   good luck
Hello there Username insert Thank you for reaching out and for feature request: ( slow motion ) for the DJI Osmo Action.  I will Cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates on the DJI Osmo Action and on the DJI Mimo application. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.

this will be the c/p answer.    I use a rode wireless go with a Db of Low.  option for a gain control 3.5mm cable, that will  happen a lot faster then getting   a firmware  fix.  sound is fine with mine yours sound very  distorted, and wonder if that is interference  , the mic or more? in the mean time I'll combine my posts

oh sorry two

2020-7-6
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 7-6 02:17
Hello there Username insert Thank you for reaching out and for feature request: ( slow motion ) for the DJI Osmo Action.  I will Cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates on the DJI Osmo Action and on the DJI Mimo application. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.

Really didnt expect to spend another $200 for a wireless Rhode to just have it work. I am still in my return period with Amazon so back it goes. Too bad DJI doesn't offer support or fixes for this. The Mic works perfect on my GoPro 7 as do the other 3 mic's I tried. So I guess I'll just upgrade to the GoPro 8
2020-7-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

123 45667 890-
2020-7-6
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MSGRetired Posted at 7-6 13:17
Really didnt expect to spend another $200 for a wireless Rhode to just have it work. I am still in my return period with Amazon so back it goes. Too bad DJI doesn't offer support or fixes for this. The Mic works perfect on my GoPro 7 as do the other 3 mic's I tried. So I guess I'll just upgrade to the GoPro 8

Just to check, have you updated the firmware? I read there was a fix for issues with external microphones
edit, I see from another thread that this probably wasn't fixed by the firmware and is a particular issue for motorbikes.
2020-7-7
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

itchyeyeballs Posted at 7-7 08:34
Just to check, have you updated the firmware? I read there was a fix for issues with external microphones
edit, I see from another thread that this probably wasn't fixed by the firmware and is a particular issue for motorbikes.

Yes it has the latest firmware.
2020-7-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

123 4567 890
2020-7-7
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I’ve resorted to adding a foam cover over the unit so we’ll see if that resolves this,  I too am experiencing audio issues (but nothing this bad, so perhaps a hardware issue on your unit?). Have you tried a factory reset?
2020-7-8
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Matman Posted at 7-8 17:03
I’ve resorted to adding a foam cover over the unit so we’ll see if that resolves this,  I too am experiencing audio issues (but nothing this bad, so perhaps a hardware issue on your unit?). Have you tried a factory reset?

I shipped it back .. Bought the GoPro 8 Black and the Media Mod. Works perfect, Great audio using the same mic that sounded like crap on the Osmo.
2020-7-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi I am sorry to know that you have returned your DJI Osmo Action. If you have further concerns with DJI, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-7-9
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-9 02:37
Hi I am sorry to know that you have returned your DJI Osmo Action. If you have further concerns with DJI, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

Here is the reason it was shipped back. I posted my GoPro 8 video and the audio was perfect. Here is the audio from the Osmo with the exact same mic and set up. Now you know why it got shipped back. Maybe when DJI decides to address the problems with external Mic audio I'll give it another try.

2020-7-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

MSGRetired Posted at 7-9 04:52
Here is the reason it was shipped back. I posted my GoPro 8 video and the audio was perfect. Here is the audio from the Osmo with the exact same mic and set up. Now you know why it got shipped back. Maybe when DJI decides to address the problems with external Mic audio I'll give it another try.

DJI Osmo Action Audio

Thank you for the additional information and your personal insights regarding this matter. Your comments and suggestion are important to us. Rest assured that DJI will continuously send updates to all DJI products to improve user experience. Again, I am sorry for the trouble you had experienced and thank you for the feedback.
2020-7-9
Use props
djiuser_YesnAKYKpmRj
New

Brazil

I have the same problem!!!!
Its insane !!

The gain is too high and clipped the audio!!!!
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_ATEW1XgbjZWy
lvl.2
Italy

excuse me for bull... i say before:cynova adaptor disconnect built in microphone on the camera,i've try to isolate microphone and tap again and from the recording no taps has been earing,but if i have mu smartlav plis plugged and i tap on the camera i clearly ear the taps on camera.after this there's an intresting thing i have see and i don't know if can be the problem:go to setting(no cynova plugged)you find out noise reduction option and you find flagged(or not but you can change) then go back and plug cynova adaptor and mic and go to settings again,noise reduction doesn't work.......but if i go in camera settings on dji mimo the noise option is flagged,
2020-7-21
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ATEW1XgbjZWy Posted at 7-21 14:00
if you have problem whit bad audio on motovogs the reason is the cynova adapter never exclude internal osmo action camera:get in a silent room whit your helmet and plug in your external microphone then start recording ad make some little "tap" whit your finger on internal microphono position,you will ear clearly the internal microphone are running,i think is a firmware issue dji have to resolve,if some developer see this message try what i'm say'n here

This makes sense. I still havent returned mine in hopes they fix it. DJI are you listening ! This appears to be the problem !
2020-7-21
Use props
djiuser_ATEW1XgbjZWy
lvl.2
Italy

MSGRetired Posted at 7-21 17:19
This makes sense. I still havent returned mine in hopes they fix it. DJI are you listening ! This appears to be the problem !

sorry man but i have say some bull... and i have remade the post aftr speaking whit cynova and try something different for isolate ext. mc.
2020-7-21
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So this is not the case. I tested it by using the Cynova plugged into the camera and plugging my TRRS to TRS adapter in with no Mic. The camera showed an external mic was plugged even though it was only the adapter with no Mic. Guess what a test recording has no audio. So the Osmo is actually turning off the internal mic's when an external mic is attached.
2020-7-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

123 4567 890
2020-7-22
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 7-22 12:11
For me  OA, CYNOVA, Wireless Go, works.   Need a Demo Ask. I do it live .  her to help prove that this adapter works.

I dont need a demo, I also dont need to spend more money to make something work, that should have worked in the first place. It does not work as a helmet cam with a wired mic, I am not the only one that has found this out. Mine works just fine until I get on the bike and drive down the street.
2020-7-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

123 456 7890      
2020-7-22
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 7-22 13:55
thank you      Ishall be doing one anyways. to show that it works just fine as is, I will grab  a sony wired mic if not a Bola one to be thee best on the market of theirs, never said best of all mics Lol.  we'll tap on the  mic to see, stay tuned

When you do instead of tapping on a Mic, mount the camera on a Motorcycle Helmet and put the mic inside the chin bar of the Helmet. Then get a Motorcycle and take a ride around the block while talking in the video and see what the audio sounds like.
2020-7-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2020-7-22
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Obviously Fishycomics cant stay on topic and continues to flood the post with non relevant findings or suggestions that require the purchase of $200+ additional equipment. Hopefully DJI can sort through the off topic posts and realize that those of us that are trying to use this set up as a Helmet Camera on a Motorcycle have issues with the external Mic adapter and come up with a solution. Till then I will continue to use my GoPro 8 Black that works perfectly as a Helmet cam set up for my Motovlogs.
2020-7-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

obviously  wind will win over your Audio, block the wind ,problem solved.   I'll remove my posts for you
2020-7-23
Use props
Sam-dji
lvl.2
Italy

this is how my osmo recording: microphone is in the side pad of the hemlmet and a "dead cat" on it,speed  80/90km/h,helmet type scorpion 1400 air carbon.it's very  very noisy on the camera feels like i'm at 150 km/h

https://youtu.be/4pG2Jt5G874
2020-7-23
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 7-23 03:31
obviously  wind will win over your Audio, block the wind ,problem solved.   I'll remove my posts for you

If you notice in my video when I am not talking there is zero wind noise. I have a full fairing with high windscreen and a full face helmet with the shield down at 30 mph .. There is zero wind noise. I am going to do a test and shut the bike off and coast just to rule out any ignition noise from the bike causing the issue. Thank You ..
2020-7-23
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sam-dji Posted at 7-23 04:12
this is how my osmo recording: microphone is in the side pad of the hemlmet and a "dead cat" on it,speed  80/90km/h,helmet type scorpion 1400 air carbon.it's very  very noisy on the camera feels like i'm at 150 km/h

https://youtu.be/4pG2Jt5G874

Can you do another video and talk a little bit ? I can hear the wind noise but I would like to hear your vocals ..

Thanks
2020-7-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

we must understand a full windshield you still get  audio distortion, the windshield acts as a Diaphram. it will pick it up, so maybe what is really needed is a better mic a noise canceling one.   I been there and done all that from "many camera's"  let us now how that goes  the Mic can be tucked further in  does not have to be directly by the Mouth.,
2020-7-23
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 7-23 08:10
we must understand a full windshield you still get  audio distortion, the windshield acts as a Diaphram. it will pick it up, so maybe what is really needed is a better mic a noise canceling one.   I been terhe and done all that from "many camera's"  let us now how that goes  the Mic can be tucked further in  does not have to be directly by the Mouth.,

Why do the 3 different microphones I have tried  work perfectly on my GoPro 8 and GoPro 7 ??  They also work on my insta360 camera, but that has its own issues with their external mic adapter having a really low mic gain.
2020-7-23
Use props
Sam-dji
lvl.2
Italy

MSGRetired Posted at 7-23 07:50
Can you do another video and talk a little bit ? I can hear the wind noise but I would like to hear your vocals ..

Thanks

from the minute 1.59 i'm speaking, i think max speed when i'm talking is 70/80 km/h.you can ear wind noise and music from my intertour  https://youtu.be/6rG0DBM0bhs
2020-7-23
Use props
Sam-dji
lvl.2
Italy

Fishycomics Posted at 7-23 08:10
we must understand a full windshield you still get  audio distortion, the windshield acts as a Diaphram. it will pick it up, so maybe what is really needed is a better mic a noise canceling one.   I been there and done all that from "many camera's"  let us now how that goes  the Mic can be tucked further in  does not have to be directly by the Mouth.,

the full windshield he got on his harley help to never take air on his face and in the helmet,in  his video wind distorsion is less (or zero)than mine but voice audio is terrible if he put the microphone on the chin and this is the reason why i put my microphone on the side pad helmet but the problems are never ended:from 80 to 110 km/h i have a lot of air noise  i personally never ear at 150 km/h!!!In front of my bike there's a tiny windshield can protect me at high speed but if i stay down behind  it result never change.I'm using rode original mic and adapter and a vlogger have same mic/adapter,gopro and my same motorcycle but whitout the tiny windshield,he don't have no air noise and he can use it on the chin of helmet he have.It's like go pro do a better job whit noise reduction or it's set to never capture determinates noise like wind.i add the video of that guy recording on go pro whit rode mic and adapter https://youtu.be/cyxPmpjI_Wo
2020-7-23
Use props
MSGRetired
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sam-dji Posted at 7-23 13:22
from the minute 1.59 i'm speaking, i think max speed when i'm talking is 70/80 km/h.you can ear wind noise and music from my intertour  https://youtu.be/6rG0DBM0bhs

Your audio does sound better than mine but still has a little crackle to it every now and then. Wind noise is much louder on yours but  you dont have much protection.

Hopefully DJI will refine their external mic at some point.
2020-7-23
Use props
Sam-dji
lvl.2
Italy

MSGRetired Posted at 7-23 14:07
Your audio does sound better than mine but still has a little crackle to it every now and then. Wind noise is much louder on yours but  you dont have much protection.

Hopefully DJI will refine their external mic at some point.

yes is much louder on mine becouse my windshield doesn't nothing,we all hope dji does something and test out other brands product for improve quality of audio for compete at the same level of go pro.some vloggers have buy dji osmo and have declared they want to use it but they don't now i know why(they never explain and they never take again this argument)
2020-7-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Sam-dji Posted at 7-23 13:45
the full windshield he got on his harley help to never take air on his face and in the helmet,in  his video wind distorsion is less (or zero)than mine but voice audio is terrible if he put the microphone on the chin and this is the reason why i put my microphone on the side pad helmet but the problems are never ended:from 80 to 110 km/h i have a lot of air noise  i personally never ear at 150 km/h!!!In front of my bike there's a tiny windshield can protect me at high speed but if i stay down behind  it result never change.I'm using rode original mic and adapter and a vlogger have same mic/adapter,gopro and my same motorcycle but whitout the tiny windshield,he don't have no air noise and he can use it on the chin of helmet he have.It's like go pro do a better job whit noise reduction or it's set to never capture determinates noise like wind.i add the video of that guy recording on go pro whit rode mic and adapter

Yep all about placement, what I said.  get a  gain control cable if you want to  be wired.
2020-7-23
Use props
Sam-dji
lvl.2
Italy

Fishycomics Posted at 7-23 15:46
Yep all about placement, what I said.  get a  gain control cable if you want to  be wired.

the placement help a little in this case but problem is not solved there is a lot of work of noise reduction to do in this camera
2020-7-24
Use props
cab1024
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23015 ft
United States

Same problems here with brand new Osmo Action camera and CYNOVA external microphone adapter. EXTREMELY disappointed with unusable audio. Starts out nice but get horrible once I turn the corner. Keep listening.

2020-8-28
Use props
rrmonzon
lvl.1

Philippines

Here's mine, very high gain audio. hoping for a fix

https://youtu.be/6rG0DBM0bhs
2020-8-29
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

The same problem here. Tested with a no-name 9 Euro microphone. Afterwards out of curiosity an expensive Rode SmartLav tested for 49 Euro. The same problem. The sound is distorted.

What I wonder: DJI is competing against the GoPro Hero 7 with their product. Have you ever tested it? Have you NEVER noticed it? That can't be true?
2020-8-31
Use props
spitfirePT
lvl.2

Portugal

damm i should have seen this post before buying my osmo action. VERY DISAPPOINTED with external audio for my motovlog channel.  EVEN MY OLD GoPRO 3 Black as more quality. my sound problems is exaclty like MSGRetired reported. i dont understand how this can happen with the GoPro killer action cam.  tried several mics and no luck, wasted my money and now i can not even use it was i am supposed to use it REALLY BAD from DJI
2020-9-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules