2355 9 2020-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Hi,

DJI Fly app has a bug which should be corrected by DJI engineers.
During my last camping outing on the lakes, the weather was pretty hot (32 degrees Celsius) but nothing out of ordinary for flying.
I was canoeing and kept my MA2 and my mobile in a black MA2 bag.
When removed from the bag, the mobile was very warm, as was the drone.

When I started flying, after about a minute, DJI Fly app displayed the message that DJI Fly app is causing the mobile to overheat. It asked if I wanted to shut it down right away or let it wait for 20 seconds and shut itself automatically. It did not give me an option to cancel this action. After 20 seconds the app did shut down and I needed to restart it (while flying my mA2). Then situation repeated itself.

First - the warning was wrong. It was not DJI Fly app causing mobile to overheat. It was my mobile sitting in the black bag in direct sun. Which got it quite warm (but not hot).

Second - DJI Fly app should not make decisions about overheating mobile. It should let the mobile software or the operating system react, if and when necessary. DJI has no idea about temperature characteristics of various mobile brands. If mobile is overheating, its firmware or OS software should provide appropraite warning and action - not DJI.

Third - not providing an option to cancel shut down of DJI Fly app may be dangerous during flight. You never want the app to shut dow on its own. You want to have full control over it. How to shut it down and when to shut it down.

In my case I ended up restarting the app twice while flying, land the drone, and wait few minutes for my mobile to cool in the shade. But I did not appreciate wrong warning and forcefull app shut down while my mobile would have, without any issues whatsoever, handled this temperature just fine.

Mirek
2020-7-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

This is a bad situation.  I agree with you that the app shouldn't shutdown to protect the phone.  If the phone did shutdown, though, you still would have control over the drone via the RC, right???  You could still fly home visually...or RTH would still work.  It would be the same as a situation I had where the OTG lightning plug got bumped.
2020-7-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Mirek,

Most akward situation = meeting an european bear in canada  ;-)
Second most akward situation = an app wich closed down while flying your drone !

DJI should indeed change this behaviour in their software, not a clever idea to write coding like this....

Guess you made some lovely footage flying from a cano.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-6
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

JJB* Posted at 7-6 10:07
Hi Mirek,

Most akward situation = meeting an european bear in canada  ;-)

Yes - you got awkard situations in the right order :-).

I did indeed got some good footage but I will start another thread today or tomorrow about MA2 behaviour trying to land it on a moving canoe. It is not good. MA2 is much more sensitive to water moving underneath than Spark was. I never had problems catching Spark from moving canoe but I had my hair raising moments trying to do the same with MA2. I believe its sensors are too sensitive and its firmware is making wrong decisions making landing over water quite erratic.

However, before I write more, I need to check my logs and see what was really happening. My MA2 acted like it was playing with me. Kind of - "catch me if you can". Which, by the way, was not that funny when battery was few percent and lake shore was distant and covered with trees and brush :-).

Mirek
2020-7-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Can't wait to hear the full report...take two whiskeys and try again in the morning.
2020-7-6
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 7-6 09:47
This is a bad situation.  I agree with you that the app shouldn't shutdown to protect the phone.  If the phone did shutdown, though, you still would have control over the drone via the RC, right???  You could still fly home visually...or RTH would still work.  It would be the same as a situation I had where the OTG lightning plug got bumped.

Yes - DJI Fly app would shut down but mobile was still on (quite oblivious to the fact that it was apparently hot). Restarting of the app was quick and throughout this time I was in full control of MA2 via RC. Still, having app go dead on you in the middle of flying in misguided attempt to protect your mobile is bad.

I hope DJI software developers can quickly change this misguided logic.

Mirek
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device that you are using please. Kindly please try a different recommended mobile device and fly the drone in a different location to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-7-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-7 20:59
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device that you are using please. Kindly please try a different recommended mobile device and fly the drone in a different location to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

DJI Paladin,

I use Samsung S9.
The issue does not need further isolating - I explained it in my post. DJI Fly app eerrorneously assumes that it is overheating my mobile. It is not.
Also, overheating warnings should always be left to OS and mobile firmware. DJI Fly app should never forcefully shut down in the middle of the flight.

Mirek
2020-7-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mirek L Posted at 7-8 04:44
DJI Paladin,

I use Samsung S9.

Thank you for the additional information and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I have the firmware version of the Samsung S9 please? I will forward this concern to our designated DJI support team for further attention. Again I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-7-9
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-9 01:56
Thank you for the additional information and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I have the firmware version of the Samsung S9 please? I will forward this concern to our designated DJI support team for further attention. Again I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

DJI Paladin,

Android version 10.
Kernel version: 4.9.186-17655189
Build number: QP1A.190711.020.G960WVLS7DTE1

The problem is - if DJI Fly detects mobile overheating, it should give at most a warning to the user and not do a forceful shut down of the application after 20 seconds (current behaviour).
All emergency actions regarding mobile overheating should be handled by mobile firmware and mobile OS only.

Mirek
2020-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules