Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Range issue with Mavic Air 2
2955 13 2020-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

My Mavic Air 2 because it gets awful range. I don't live in a congested area at all, but to give you an idea - even at 400ft high it loses signal totally at 4000ft (anywhere I bring it) and becomes choppy before then. I have connection issues much closer than that at lower altitudes - and it just doesn't match what I've seen online, and it's nothing compared to the range of people with whom I have flown in person. I point my controller towards the drone, etc.
I understand some units could be defective - and DJI support on Twitter DMd me telling me to send it in if the range is this bad. So I did.

DJI just finished looking at my drone and only found an extremely minor scuff on the drone's body that doesn't affect the drone at all. While carrying the drone right after a flight I accidentally touched it to a concete wall - which was a great reminded to put it in the bag IMMEDIATELY. But the damage is nothing - you have to look hard to find it - and I woudn't pay $10 to have that fixed, let alone the $77 that they quoted to replace that arm.

They apparently did no assessment on the range issue, which frustrates me, especially since I put it in the description and included it in a letter in the box.

I'd honestly just take a refurb at this point. Or give me a new unit and put my slightly scuffed arm on it (this damage is extremely superficial).

Any assistance?

Thanks

2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry for the trouble with the drone, I manage to get your case number via your Forum account, per the team, the drone was tested the flight range 2300 feet with no issue, the problem you reported was not replicated.
Except for the antenna position, here are also some suggestions:
Please turn off other wireless devices during the range test in case the RC's signal is affected.
Stay away from electromagnetic interference such as Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage wires, high-voltage power transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, and TV broadcast signal towers and so on.
Please fly in the open areas, tall buildings, mountains, rocks, and woods may affect the aircraft's compass and GPS signals.
Fly higher, the signal would be better.
2020-7-6
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

They can just keep the drone in that case. I bought it because of its incredible range. People get 15,000 feet in dense Philadelphia. Not that you absolutely to go that far or should regularly, but my signal issues are not in my imagination. 2,300 feet? People can get 3+ miles in my area and I thought I should be able to at least get 1 mile. Nope. The lack of range is representative of the lack of connectivity overall. 2300 feet? Wow. Can I get a refurbished one? I know something is wrong with my unit as I've flown with people.
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

In fact the DJI Global Twitter account told me to send it in because it lost signal at 4000 feet and was shaky further than 3000. If they were going to fly it only 2300 feet I wouldn't have wasted my time sending it in. I could have done that.
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

Anything more? I don't understand how you can fly 2300 ft to prove I don't have a range issue when I was told to send it in with problems above 2300 feet. Other MA2 pilots in my area, and in much noisier, denser areas (easily) compared to where I am, have no such problems.
2020-7-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj Posted at 7-8 05:55
Anything more? I don't understand how you can fly 2300 ft to prove I don't have a range issue when I was told to send it in with problems above 2300 feet. Other MA2 pilots in my area, and in much noisier, denser areas (easily) compared to where I am, have no such problems.

2300 feet is a basic test, your requirement has been forwarded to the flight test team for another test. Please wait patiently, thank you.
2020-7-9
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

Okay thanks
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

Any news? I wanted to wait a a while before asking.
2020-7-15
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

I think I'll just make a YouTube video showing the lack of range this one has compared to people I fly with, who will stand right next to me and go 3x as far. This is ridiculous.
2020-7-15
Use props
djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj
lvl.1

United States

Also, why is there just a blanket range test? 2300 feet one time. Then maybe you'll test for 4,000 feet. But that's so arbitrary. We are in different places. The problem is this drone NEVER gets past 4500 feet (if I'm lucky - usually it's 4000) even at 400 feet high when other MA2s in my town, and even more dense places, do get a lot more range than that. Did DJI fly my drone against another drone (which would prove that mine gets less range than it is supposed to)?
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_KeXaN87x2KXj Posted at 7-15 07:23
Also, why is there just a blanket range test? 2300 feet one time. Then maybe you'll test for 4,000 feet. But that's so arbitrary. We are in different places. The problem is this drone NEVER gets past 4500 feet (if I'm lucky - usually it's 4000) even at 400 feet high when other MA2s in my town, and even more dense places, do get a lot more range than that. Did DJI fly my drone against another drone (which would prove that mine gets less range than it is supposed to)?

Sorry for the late response, per the latest news from the facility, we've made a flight test of 4597 feet at 321 feet altitude with no issue. I see you would like a replacement, we will forward your request to the team to review, please wait patiently, thank you.
2020-7-16
Use props
djiuser_KblHiVn2RWLo
New

United States

Just received my DJI Mavic Air 2, I am a little surprised as it only goes to 3200Ft (at 300-400ft height) before loosing signal and return home activates. I though the range was suppose to be 10 KM (over 6 miles)
Over a good drone but my sole purpose was to buy it for the range, and the range is not there. I live in an open area, suburb houses, no big buildings, I even took it in an open ground and got the same results.
Very Disappointed
2021-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules