Struggling to capture videos
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

Hi. I am a very good photographer. I know a lot about photography and use my Spark to take awesome HDR photos. I am now getting started with videography. I know a lot of cinematic moves. There is one thing though that I struggle with. That is exposure. Unlike a picture, the exposure of a video is constantly variable. I have heard the bad rep about using auto exposure and I believe it. The problem is, is that now I have to change the iso by myself and the video ends up looking bad. I wish Dji put in shutter priority/auto iso, Gah. You can be using 1/60 and tilt the camera up and it will be overexposed. Then you turn it down and tilt the camera down and it is underexposed. What should I do? Should I find a neutral shutter speed and iso that will work with both the camera facing down and up? Help!
2020-7-6
Use props
fans03bf0071
lvl.2
Flight distance : 605748 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Use HDR mode and get ND filters. Use Smart Photo also. Adjust gimble head until Exposure is correct. I noticed having Gimble to high causes Exposure issues when using Auto.
2020-7-7
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4

United States

fans03bf0071 Posted at 7-7 11:59
Use HDR mode and get ND filters. Use Smart Photo also. Adjust gimble head until Exposure is correct. I noticed having Gimble to high causes Exposure issues when using Auto.

I don’t have HDR video. I own a Dji Spark.
2020-7-7
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4

United States

I think I basically found an idea. I should find a spot with neutral exposure and adjust it to match that. That way, the areas with a brighter or lower exposure won’t be over or underexposed so much.
2020-7-7
Use props
fans03bf0071
lvl.2
Flight distance : 605748 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sparkflier Posted at 7-7 13:02
I don’t have HDR video. I own a Dji Spark.

ohh well that's why spark is not great with the video quality.
2020-7-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Is there such a thing as HDR video?
Don't waste your money on ND filters and there is nothing wrong with auto exposure provided you avoid fast changes of light intensity. The auto needs to keep and adjust.
I found this works well for me. Adjust exposure with the exposure bias wheel, if you have it on your drone. I move it to over exposed so I can see where I am going, in bright sunlight and once in position, move the wheel back so all highlights are properly exposed. The brightness can be tweaked in post.  https://youtu.be/YBlNuYXRgdQ
https://youtu.be/P_yQdU-ofvs
Here are a couple of my videos, all auto and no filters. I don't claim to be some self acclaimed expert, I just try to get a pleasing result. Where are the results of the experts here. Just look at their profiles, posts and pics/ vids and judge for yourself. If you want to see how real experts work, look at this site. https://www.airvuz.com/

2020-7-10
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Post in error
2020-7-10
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

Although I'm no photographer my suggestion is:
a. use 24/25 FPS to allow for slower shutter speed in order to get more light (less noise)
b. keep a distance to limit the gimbal angle changes within 30 degrees at most
c. use an ND filter to be close to ISO 100
d. center your theme and if you're happy with what you see lock exposure and start shooting
e. move as smoothly as you can
f. use cinelike color profile

My post production tips are:
a. shoot at 4K
b. downsample to 1080p to remove noise
c. create zoom effects to remove any badly exposed areas (or just for the fun of it, like having a 24/60mm lens)
d. restore color (from cinelike) if you find it dull

2020-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules