Disappointed with video quality MAVIC AIR 2
4437 9 2020-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3d632222
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hi guys, I ve got to say that I am very disappointed with Mavics Air 2 video quality. At first I was sure that is something wrong with my drone but then I tested with my friends drone and I saw that both sucks. I ve tried all picture profiles and and codeks, but no luck. This is ISO 100 4k 25fps cinedlike and you can see how MUSHY everything is. Is this normal? There is noise in the shadows, picture is not denoised, its not sharp its just no good.. It needs a lot of post production to look normal.. Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RCjZixAamY&feature=youtu.be

2020-7-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Your footage is good.
Cinelike profile is designed for post-production. Drone software does not do anything to it to allow you to get the most out of the video in post-production.
This is why it is not sharpened, no contrast and no color applied. It looks flat which is normal and desired.

If you do not want post-production, switch your mode to Normal.

Mirek
2020-7-7
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

>> Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. Do not shoot in D-Cinelike if you don't want to post-process it properly. LOG footage such as D-Cinelike require the use of a LUT to normalize the image.

The quality of the Mavic Air 2 video is actually very good, it is neither noisy nor mushy nor soft. If anything, it is overly sharp, and the community has asked for more control over the camera settings to reduce the level of sharpening.

I started this thread to share a free LUT that you can use with D-Cinelike video. Try it and see how you like the output.
2020-7-7
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

I think that footage is excellent for DCINELIKE. Gives the freedom to post-produce and edit extra colour, sharpness and basically give the image that "kick" feel.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You answered your own question when using D-Cinelike: "It needs a lot of post production to look normal"..
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

The footage looks fine. Clearly you need to look some more into what D-Cinelike is or how to post-process it. TBH, I am amazed at the quality of the footage. Really all looks fine to me.
I actually downloaded your footage and corrected it a bit in post. I mean, it's not like editing the raw footage but still, seems easy enough. Just get a nice basic LUT and from there on edit further
2020-7-7
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

You’re using a codec specifically designed to produce exactly what you got.  I’m disappointed in your lack of research before making this post.  
2020-7-7
Use props
fans3d632222
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hi guys, thank you for all information! Maybe I forgot to say that I have tried all 3 picture profiles (normal, HDR, and D-cinelike) and they also have noise in shadows and colour or contrast didn't work for me. I know what log profile is, and D-cinelike is not a log profile its called D-Log which MAvic air 2 doesnt support. As Philip Bloom said d-cinelike also has internal sharpening and noise reduction applied I just think its not working well. I ve been filming with Phantom 4 which is  5 years older than Mavic 2 and D-cinelike picture is much cleaner and pleasant to work in post. Dont be angry its just my opinion
BTW I love drones capabilities of flying and I think that new controller is just great! I like the size of it, basically everything just picture quality could be better!
2020-7-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. The video was nicely captured, there is no issue on the video. It is nicely done and thank you for your valued support.
2020-7-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Upon watching the video clip, my first reaction is that the weather is as dull as dishwater. No matter what you do short of full-on special effects tweaking, it is always going to look dull. Remember, some days you just don't bother to shoot.
2020-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules