Footage artifacting/glitching on Mavic Pro
761 30 2020-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hey everyone, new here. My apologies in advance if this is not the way to go.
I recently purchased a Mavic Pro (the first one) second hand from 'a friend'.
Today I received some new propellers and accessories and decided to give it a test run again.
For some reason, the footage is artifacting/glitching/showing weird behavior and the footage is crooked as well. (You won't see the crooked bit because I straightened it out in post... my bad... gotta trust me on that one).

For reference here is a small bit from the video:

I feel really stupid for buying this drone now since I for some reason didn't see the problem when test flying it with the guy. Is this problem fixable or is this a gimbal/camera issue? The guy told me he never crashed it but I have my doubts about that now.

I tried re-calibrating everything including the auto-camera calibration, didn't help.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Woe Posted at 7-7 09:12
What SD card are you using? Also have you tried formatting it .
Is this footage from the SD card or a cache version from the phone?
I am using a Sandisk Extreme 32GB V30 HC1 class 3? If I am saying that correctly. Here is an image of it:  https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images750x750/1497354526_1343701.jpg

Tried formatting it yes, no luck.
The footage is from the SD card.
2020-7-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz
lvl.1
Netherlands

Woe Posted at 7-7 09:12

Hi there, thanks for your reply!

I am using a Sandisk Extreme 32GB V30 HC1 class 3? If I am saying that correctly. Here is an image of it: https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images750x750/1497354526_1343701.jpg

Tried formatting it yes, no luck.
The footage is from the SD card.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would factory reset the drone in Assistant 2. Download and reinstall the firmware on the AC and RC using Assistant 2. Then calibrate everything (IMU, RC, Gimbal via the app and OA via Assistant 2). Reset the camera, format the micro SD card as Woe said then calibrate the compass when you arrive at your flight location. Don't use any ND filters to start with and see if it happens again. If it does then go and pay your 'friend' a little visit and get your money back!
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz
lvl.1
Netherlands

A J Posted at 7-7 11:17
I would factory reset the drone in Assistant 2. Download and reinstall the firmware on the AC and RC using Assistant 2. Then calibrate everything (IMU, RC, Gimbal via the app and OA via Assistant 2). Reset the camera, format the micro SD card as Woe said then calibrate the compass when you arrive at your flight location. Don't use any ND filters to start with and see if it happens again. If it does then go and pay your 'friend' a little visit and get your money back!

Hello there,

Currently in the process of going through everything you said. Calibrating as we speak. Will let you know how or what when I have more information!

Thanks!
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz Posted at 7-7 11:37
Hello there,

Currently in the process of going through everything you said. Calibrating as we speak. Will let you know how or what when I have more information!

Good for you. It may be anything causing it so doing the lot will cover off all the bases and there will be nothing else you can do except return it or send it to DJI for repair - which won't be cheap! Fingers crossed all of the resets and calibrations sort it out. The MP1 was a revolutionary, amazing drone but notorious for its bugs and glitches.
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz
lvl.1
Netherlands

A J Posted at 7-7 11:46
Good for you. It may be anything causing it so doing the lot will cover off all the bases and there will be nothing else you can do except return it or send it to DJI for repair - which won't be cheap! Fingers crossed all of the resets and calibrations sort it out. The MP1 was a revolutionary, amazing drone but notorious for its bugs and glitches.

Everything is done except the compass calibration. It seems as tho the camera is still at an angle when on a flat surface... I will be sure to test the drone tomorrow since it's already dark out where I live. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it! I will keep you updated on the findings!
2020-7-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz Posted at 7-7 12:10
Everything is done except the compass calibration. It seems as tho the camera is still at an angle when on a flat surface... I will be sure to test the drone tomorrow since it's already dark out where I live. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it! I will keep you updated on the findings!

Check the ribbon cables on the gimbal to make sure it's in tack.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_epGY4F2xOmAz Posted at 7-7 12:10
Everything is done except the compass calibration. It seems as tho the camera is still at an angle when on a flat surface... I will be sure to test the drone tomorrow since it's already dark out where I live. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it! I will keep you updated on the findings!

2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Woe Posted at 7-7 12:21
Check the ribbon cables on the gimbal to make sure it's in tack.

Just checked the ribbon cable, all seems to be just fine. No tears or damage to be seen. I might take some high-res pics later and post there here to make sure I am not missing anything.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 12:28
Just checked the ribbon cable, all seems to be just fine. No tears or damage to be seen. I might take some high-res pics later and post there here to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thats a good idea - make sure the drone is on a flat surface you you calibrate the gimbal - you can also make manual adjustments too via the app.
2020-7-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 12:28

I agree with AJ and yes photos will help.
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

A J Posted at 7-7 12:32
Thats a good idea - make sure the drone is on a flat surface you you calibrate the gimbal - you can also make manual adjustments too via the app.

Here is the album link to some of the images. If you need any other angles, or other images make sure to let me know!
https://imgur.com/a/bUHCzZv
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Woe Posted at 7-7 12:36

Here is the album link to some of the images. If you need any other angles, or other images make sure to let me know!
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 7-7 12:36

What do you think? https://imgur.com/a/bUHCzZv
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 13:03

Hate to say it but after doing all of those calibrations and rests if this is the end result it unfortunately looks like a hardware problem with the gimbal motor. The gimbal is clearly offset on start up and given the issues you had with the footage it is obvious you have been sold a defective unit.

You have three options IMO:

1. Repair it if you know how to strip it down and fix it yourself. If you don't then do not even attempt it.
2. Send it to DJI for repair - they will probably just send you a refurb unit but at least it will work - then forward the bill to your friend or pay it yourself (you'll be talking three figures)
3. (this is what I would do) - go back to see your friend, give him back the drone and get every penny back that you gave him. If he refuses then seek legal advice but that will obviously end the friendship though no friend of mine would ever even try to sell me something that was discreetly broken!

Good luck with it.
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

A J Posted at 7-7 13:12
Hate to say it but after doing all of those calibrations and rests if this is the end result it unfortunately looks like a hardware problem with the gimbal motor. The gimbal is clearly offset on start up and given the issues you had with the footage it is obvious you have been sold a defective unit.

You have three options IMO:

I have yet to test fly it after doing all the calibrations. I will be testing it tomorrow and if it still occurs I will be knocking on his door. Thanks for all the help.

Well, that ff-ing sucks :/
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 13:17
I have yet to test fly it after doing all the calibrations. I will be testing it tomorrow and if it still occurs I will be knocking on his door. Thanks for all the help.

Well, that ff-ing sucks :/

No probs - put it in the air and test it though if the gimbal looks like that on the ground whilst the drone is turned on then it ain't right mate. The lens should be pointing straight ahead. Don't fly the drone around for too long either as there may be other issues you are not aware of and it'll be just your luck that it crashes then you can forget getting your money back... He probably crashed it himself, damaged the gimbal but realised it still flies then saw you coming... Be nice!
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

A J Posted at 7-7 13:29
No probs - put it in the air and test it though if the gimbal looks like that on the ground whilst the drone is turned on then it ain't right mate. The lens should be pointing straight ahead. Don't fly the drone around for too long either as there may be other issues you are not aware of and it'll be just your luck that it crashes then you can forget getting your money back... He probably crashed it himself, damaged the gimbal but realised it still flies then saw you coming... Be nice!

Oh, in the pictures it was turned off, my bad. It was on its back and turned off to be precise.

Here is a video of the gimbal startup (Sorry for the shaky footage, only have 1 light in my room and had to use it, lol):
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 13:42
Oh, in the pictures it was turned off, my bad. It was on its back and turned off to be precise.

Here is a video of the gimbal startup (Sorry for the shaky footage, only have 1 light in my room and had to use it, lol):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qQVlQMOtM

. Hold off losing a friend - that looks fine. Test fly it and fingers crossed for you.
2020-7-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 13:42
Oh, in the pictures it was turned off, my bad. It was on its back and turned off to be precise.

Here is a video of the gimbal startup (Sorry for the shaky footage, only have 1 light in my room and had to use it, lol):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qQVlQMOtM

That doesn't look right. The camera clearly hits the top and seems
to get stuck. In my opinion I would be returning it.
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Very unsure if it is or is not right now, lol @A J @Woe
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ScreemS. I am sorry to reach and to know that you are having these issues with your DJI Mavic Pro. Since you have done multiple troubleshooting steps that were given by A J  and Woe and still the issue persist. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that the repair will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScreemS Posted at 7-7 14:33
Very unsure if it is or is not right now, lol @A J @Woe

Yeah, the way the gimbal seems to crash into the drone on start up also didn't seem right too - give it a test but as others have pointed out this isn't 100% TBH.
2020-7-7
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hey all, quick update.

The issue still persisted after all the steps taken above. I listed the drone as 'partially broken' online and explained the problem it was having. I listed it with all the accessories and my DJI goggles racing edition. Soon after a guy contacted me saying he fixes mavics for a living and he would like to purchase the set. I ended up earning an extra 50 euro's more than what I bought it for, so in the end... Not bad!

Thanks all for your help!!

@staff, please close this, thanks!
2020-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Can't watch the video!
2020-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ScreemS Posted at 7-10 15:43
Hey all, quick update.

The issue still persisted after all the steps taken above. I listed the drone as 'partially broken' online and explained the problem it was having. I listed it with all the accessories and my DJI goggles racing edition. Soon after a guy contacted me saying he fixes mavics for a living and he would like to purchase the set. I ended up earning an extra 50 euro's more than what I bought it for, so in the end... Not bad!

Ah ok, now I see why!
2020-7-13
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 7-13 07:06
Ah ok, now I see why!

Took down the video since there was no need for it anymore
2020-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ScreemS Posted at 7-13 07:10
Took down the video since there was no need for it anymore

I get it.
Still it might be useful for others with similar issues.
2020-7-13
Use props
ScreemS
lvl.1
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 7-13 07:16
I get it.
Still it might be useful for others with similar issues.

Sadly I removed the video from the channel since I uploaded it to the company channel.

If anyone ever comes here they are more than welcome to ask me for the video to see if it's the same issue they are having.
2020-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ScreemS Posted at 7-13 07:18
Sadly I removed the video from the channel since I uploaded it to the company channel.

If anyone every comes here they are more than welcome to ask me for the video to see if it's the same issue they are having.

No problem of course!
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules