Mavic 2 crash - fallen from 14th floor after hit building
1727 16 2020-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

I took off from the top of building, then as aways I do (did that more than 400 times without problem), positioned drone about 100-200 meters away of any building. I saw that it was in ATTI mode as gps signal was not Avaliable yet (I take off from covered place, because of that gps signal take some time), so I hover it far from buildings (about 100 meter way from me), wait it get gps signal, then i fly normally. I did it, but this time, my brother was next to me and I Talked looking at him (not mobile screen or drone) so short time, about 3-5 seconds, drone was hovering 100 meters away, then I heard crash sound. It was my mavic 2 pro  

Some way, it not kept position hovering, I not added any rc stick command  (my hands was out of remote controll) and it returned so fast in my direction, by itself, I think vision positioning system failed, as even without gps, it usually holld position.. It crashed into my building, then falled about 50 meters in concrete street.  I was in 14th floor..  I have log of that (dji app)

I was very sad, because drone was so hard to buy, so expensive . I just abandoned for few months as I was very disappointed. But now I decided that I want to try fix it. As I am from Brazil and there is no official dji support in my country, my unique option is to try fix it by myself. But to do it, I need gimbal spare part replacement. Somebody knows if dji can sell it directly?  If yes, How much? If not, just using official repair program, to get gimbal replacement by then in US, somebody know what is the cost?
65356A82-7B17-4BAD-9F67-59A85B644B99.jpeg
2020-7-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Sad story loosing your mavic 2 pro.

In ATTI mode drone cannot hold position, any disturbance will get the craft moving from postion and it will not stop by itself.

Are you sure that you did not start in OPTI mode?

if you like upload your flightlog using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Log  will explain what really happend.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-8
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

It was in ATTI mode.. Vision position not worked to try hold position. Was night. But I fly from same place (my home) aways and with exactly same conditions, at night, without gps signal for about 30 seconds, and even with those conditions, visual position aways worked great. Not this time, due to low light in Theory.. But as I said I made about 400 flights with exactly same conditions, in same place, about 150 flights was also at night.  Never had problem with visual position failing because low light.

Here is log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LTZEHM7ZG4S3GBRQ11GI/

But my main goal is get it fixed, as I said, I am from Brazil and there is no official dji repair service here. I want to try fixt it by myself. But I need buy gimbal camera, I need replace it. Do you know if it's possible get this spare part directly from DJI as i don't have repair service avaible in my country? If yes, what would be cost?

Thanks for your help.
2020-7-8
Use props
bikoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

sorry for that, try to order them online
2020-7-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bi7ZlTnWOoJb. I am sorry to read and to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed. Since this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank you.
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch - sorry to read that - hope you get it sorted soon
2020-7-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You took off without any satellites locked so there was no GPS to hold position,  meaning that it will drift about if your not controlling it.
2020-7-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bi7ZlTnWOoJb Posted at 7-8 23:33
It was in ATTI mode.. Vision position not worked to try hold position. Was night. But I fly from same place (my home) aways and with exactly same conditions, at night, without gps signal for about 30 seconds, and even with those conditions, visual position aways worked great. Not this time, due to low light in Theory.. But as I said I made about 400 flights with exactly same conditions, in same place, about 150 flights was also at night.  Never had problem with visual position failing because low light.

Here is log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LTZEHM7ZG4S3GBRQ11GI/

Hiya,

First few moments in OPTI mode than ATTI, message at 9 seconds in flight about the light condition " Ambient Light too Weak. Vision Positioningobstacle sensing is unavailable..please ensure safety during the flight"

At the end, just before the crash the Vertical X and Y speed did change, so craft was moving away.
Before that pitch and roll angles of your drone almost flat and steady, guess the wind speed was very low.

I have no idea where to repair your drone, i live to far away from Brazil  ;-)

Hope you can fix your MavicPro2.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch!!! Hope your back flying soon.
2020-7-9
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

I aways take off with this condition, without gps because I take off from covered place, but I just take off if vision position is working, exactly like picture above (take that picture from another flight at same place that I did).. Then I go 200m away exactly to try avoid that any variation on its position due lack of gps signal.. sometimes it happened, but very little. About 10-30 meters.. This time. Was about 150 meters and so fast that I could not even see.. And with this exact condition (at night, same location, low wind, etc).. Vision position usually is avaible all the time, until I get gps signal..

Somebody here already had to replace entire mavic 2 pro gimbal camera? If yes, what was the cost? I can only open repair order with USA address that I don't have.. When I select brazil, it's just say that there is no repair service here and I can't continue repair inquire. My main goal is try to buy directly gimbal from DJI and fix it by myself. There is no option other than DIY
552E5125-E436-41C1-B6EB-2280278E7451.jpeg
2020-7-9
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Most crashes happen when more than one failure occurs. There is redundancy built into dji products so that the software can use secondary systems when primary ones aren't available. I suspect you not only had too few GPS satellites, but also had a confused compass. Sometimes when we take off from surfaces with metal below, we don't get a compass warning, but the compass still acts erratic.
2020-7-11
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

You can see log here, wasn't compass failure..
First reason: ATTI mode due to lack of gps signal.
Second reason: visual position system failed theoricaly because low light.

But I aways fly night with exact same light conditions.. Made about 300 flights at night at same place..

Few days before it asked to recalibrate visual position cameras.. I sit it.. But was too crasy. Just 3 seconds of eyes out screen and this happens.. Never, ever drone not hold position this way.. I think it rided about 150 meters in 5 seconds.. Or something close.. And I not noticed it because I answered my brother question exactly this time that it failed.  Everybody that has this drone, knows how hoot it usually hold position, it's problem with too much trust.. If my height was more 10 meters, crash would not happens, because it would be above building.. Then I would have time to recover it.. My protocol was just go 150 meters away and wait gps. If changed protocol to go 150 meters away, 10 m up,
2020-7-11
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

Lesson learned, never, ever take eyes out drone or screen when atti.. This is another lesson learned.. Because without gps, it's already problem to hold position, but it can with vision positioning system. But if it also fails, you are busted.. There is no redundancy when you already know that one of two system is out. Just one fail and you are lost.
2020-7-11
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

For VPS to work,  there must be something under the aircraft.   You state "took off from top of building and flew 100-200 meters away"  at night.....

That would suggest your a/c was a couple hundred feet in the air......with nothing for the VPS to "see".  VPS needs to be within about 30ft of the ground to get stable.....with reasonable light.

Sorry for your loss

Randy

2020-7-11
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Bi7ZlTnWOoJb Posted at 7-11 19:10
Lesson learned, never, ever take eyes out drone or screen when atti.. This is another lesson learned.. Because without gps, it's already problem to hold position, but it can with vision positioning system. But if it also fails, you are busted.. There is no redundancy when you already know that one of two system is out. Just one fail and you are lost.

Kindly use the below link to tear down your Mavic 2 Proand order for spare parts.  There are plenty available.

For Gimbal tear down , use the following link

2020-7-14
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

Bi7ZlTnWOoJb Posted at 7-9 08:13
I aways take off with this condition, without gps because I take off from covered place, but I just take off if vision position is working, exactly like picture above (take that picture from another flight at same place that I did).. Then I go 200m away exactly to try avoid that any variation on its position due lack of gps signal.. sometimes it happened, but very little. About 10-30 meters.. This time. Was about 150 meters and so fast that I could not even see.. And with this exact condition (at night, same location, low wind, etc).. Vision position usually is avaible all the time, until I get gps signal..

Somebody here already had to replace entire mavic 2 pro gimbal camera? If yes, what was the cost? I can only open repair order with USA address that I don't have.. When I select brazil, it's just say that there is no repair service here and I can't continue repair inquire. My main goal is try to buy directly gimbal from DJI and fix it by myself. There is no option other than DIY

as advised by  DJI , a DIY solution may be too much for the damage that I can see on this photo and the damage may not be only limited to the gimbal but sensors as well ( left front sensor fuselage is also cracked)  unless your decision given just because service availability issue in your town,  I would suggest send the drone to DJI center for repair and diagnostic as well.
Btw you were very lucky,  your drone just crashed on the ground ,not someone hat passing under it.
2020-7-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

No matter how tempting, I never take off without GPS lock no matter what is happening.  You can instantly lose controller signal right after take-off from many reasons.  At least with GPS and Home Point you increase your chances from a total loss.  There is not One situation in which you should take-off w/o GPS unless say you are far from the drone and a tree is falling onto the drones spot or a vehicle is going to hit it etc. but you are supposed to determine the take-off location before that becomes an issue.  If you miss a good shot then you miss a good shot but if you just take-off in Vision mode w/ no rush at all and crash then.. Darwin, Natural Selection, Karma, Devil, the good God side trying to put you into a better position in the future for unknown purposes?  All that we know is the drone is crashed and if you put it back together it may never ever be the same and worse could happen.  What has happened, has already happened.  We can only do so much and somethings are just left to be data for the future.  We can replay, revert, or reverse time but we can do a back to the future preventing future issues from happening.

It's just unfortunate for you to not know about it before things became too late.

If you do ever single thing right then pretty much what could go wrong is a something failing from wear and tear, someone shooting it out of the sky, a bird hitting it, etc.  Not dumb stuff like flying into a building in Atti mode because our focus was pulled away into something else.  You also had to check if the vision sensors were abnormal and need calibration.  Also that there is enough light where the object face is closest to the drone that isn't a bright reflection or it being blinded by the sun.

Other drone pilots make it look easy right?  Because we  know and do a lot of things beyond just flying.  I've never crashed one DJI drone though one time recently I was sweeping left hard with a yaw right rotation while going forward w/o tripod mode (M2P) thinking a tree wasn't there but it was.. luckily it was just leaves it hit.  The drones footage has never been so smooth prior.  I'm not sure if it was because of that or the update or both.

Sometimes you indeed need luck to make it but at least patch up the vulnerabilities detected after so it doesn't happen again but if not and people died out (not from droning but other activities) there is only so much that we can do.
2020-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules