Can we use a drone to dislodge a tree stuck drone
1255 9 2020-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrlafryahoo.com
lvl.1
Canada

My manic is stuck at the very top of a tree. It is too high and flimsy to climb the tree and it is in the backyard inaccessible to a commercial bucket. Would it be possible to use another drone with a hook to drag it sideways for four or 5 feet and then drop it ?
2020-7-9
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

I guess you could, but you have to be aware that the "rescue" AC can become caught up in what the "rescuee" is.
I would try a fishing rod with a good stout line and tapered weight (so not to get stuck in tree) and try to use that.
What is the actual height of said drone catcher?
2020-7-9
Use props
jrlafryahoo.com
lvl.1
Canada

I am guessing 40 Ft. In a backyard, so no bucket or fireman ladder.  Tree is too thin to climb the last 15-20 ft. Thanks for the fishing line idea.
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've seen Inspires and Phantoms rescue crashed Mavic's on YouTube vids
2020-7-9
Use props
jrlafryahoo.com
lvl.1
Canada

Ok I will search that
2020-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jrlafryahoo.com. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic Mini is stuck on top of a tree and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. In addition, I will also post a DJI Forum link on How to get your drone out of tree ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-160482-1-1.html ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-7-9
Use props
The Farmer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165495 ft
United States

If you can use a ladder for the first 15 or 20 feet and then use a long pole with a loop of wire on the end to reach the trapped drone. That is how I pick some of my tall fruit trees.
2020-7-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive seen a drone use shoe laces in a loop to snag the landing gear and lift a drone of the top of a ruined castle.
2020-7-10
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It has been done, as had been said there are youtubes of rescues ..............BUT.................bear in mind that if the connection between the two drones is solid and the tree has a 'good grip' of the crashed drone you may lose both drones. In such an event a long tether might allow you to fly the resucer to the ground but that would make it  difficult to control the position of the 'hook' for the intial hook up..........plus.......if you had to abort the rescue for the above reason the tether might foul the props of the rescuer as the rescuer descends.

Of course you run the risk of duplicating the last 30seconds of this

Would I try it? Possibly but I'd have a darn good look with the second drone before I even attached a hook to it and I'd need to be fairly certain that the tree would 'let go' of the crashed drone

2020-7-10
Use props
jrlafryahoo.com
lvl.1
Canada

ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL.. I hired a professional tree climber. He recuperated my drone. We had a thunderstorm with heavy rain. Had to reglue the two front legs. would not start and would give me a message of low-voltage probably because of the heavy rain. I dried it slowly with a hair dryer on low and just now after 36 hrs., it started normally. A $100 well spent.
2020-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules