4279 31 2020-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Still hearing stories from people pushing the battery for that last picture, only to be caught out by the RTH or the Critical Battery autoland, or the auto-power off if you're really pushing things.
So here's what you can override, and what you can't.....

Cheers,

Ian

2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video Ian
2020-7-9
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41512 ft
United Kingdom

Very good video, thanks.
2020-7-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good video Ian.
2020-7-9
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Thanks, Ian! I pushed my Spark a little too far once. I was standing on a rock, and it would have been a pretty hard climb down. Shoving the stick up all the way with my left hand, I managed to catch the drone just in time with the right. Whew!
2020-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ian. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. In addition to this threads Once you the DJI intelligent flight battery hits 0% the voltage will be so low that the said drone will power off and can do damage the said batteries. Draining the said batteries to 0% should not be done regularly, this process will not help extend the life of the said battery as well. Thank you.
2020-7-9
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-9 20:44
Hello there Ian. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. In addition to this threads Once you the DJI intelligent flight battery hits 0% the voltage will be so low that the said drone will power off and can do damage the said batteries. Draining the said batteries to 0% should not be done regularly, this process will not help extend the life of the said battery as well. Thank you.

Thanks for the warning and advice Stephen.  I'll add that to the video notes....  

Cheers,
Ian
2020-7-9
Use props
Ralle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

2020-7-9
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tentoes Posted at 7-9 18:39
Thanks, Ian! I pushed my Spark a little too far once. I was standing on a rock, and it would have been a pretty hard climb down. Shoving the stick up all the way with my left hand, I managed to catch the drone just in time with the right. Whew!

It all goes wrong when you push the battery.....
2020-7-9
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Good video Ian!
I tried it a few weeks ago but was able to land on landing pad (I wasn't that far). The only formulation I do not agree is that AC "descents or rise up unexpectedly" at very low (critical) battery level. As there's no energy left I think controlled emergency landing is better option than suddenly stopped motors in the air (because of critical low battery voltage where the safety cut-off is aplied), so I would be expecting this behaviour...
2020-7-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice demo.  Hopefully might make some people understand not to do this.
2020-7-10
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Great video Ian, and as I commented on your video.. creds to you to show us this risking your propellers
2020-7-10
Use props
ckat007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 887024 ft
Finland

Good work!
2020-7-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Ian in London Posted at 7-9 22:38
Thanks for the warning and advice Stephen.  I'll add that to the video notes....  

Cheers,

Hi there Ian. You are very much welcome and I am very glad to help and assist you. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-7-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nice video Ian, too many beginners make this mistake of flying till critical battery and not knowing what to do and they lose their drone
2020-7-10
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Very good video Ian , well done, Thanks’ for sharing!
2020-7-10
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Great video Ian!
2020-7-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Another great and extremely helpful tutorial video. Cheers Ian....
2020-7-10
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-10 06:40
Another great and extremely helpful tutorial video. Cheers Ian....

Thanks squire...
2020-7-11
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is good to know that when the battery hits 0% it will just simply land with it's last bit of juice - I always thought the drone would just fall like a brick if you override the critical battery landing with the throttle. I would rather my drone gracefully land in the drink than crash-land uncontrollably. You learn something new everyday as I've obviously never flown a battery to 0% before so that is reassuring mate. Good work once more.
2020-7-11
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 7-11 00:38
It is good to know that when the battery hits 0% it will just simply land with it's last bit of juice - I always thought the drone would just fall like a brick if you override the critical battery landing with the throttle. I would rather my drone gracefully land in the drink than crash-land uncontrollably. You learn something new everyday as I've obviously never flown a battery to 0% before so that is reassuring mate. Good work once more.

I must admit, I did wonder myself, hence the low level wait for it to run out over a nice soft landing.....
2020-7-11
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

Great vídeo ..
2020-7-11
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 7-11 02:01
I must admit, I did wonder myself, hence the low level wait for it to run out over a nice soft landing.....

I did notice the nerves kick in your voice a little as the battery reached 0% - no harm done and now we all know what happens - thanks for having the gonads to test it mate!
2020-7-11
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Nice video, nicely explained!! Thanks a lot
2020-7-11
Use props
djiuser_Y6MRCImJpAnU
New
Flight distance : 49337 ft
United States

I saw a YouTube video that a guy ran it past 0 percent. It flew for a little longer, but I wouldn’t chance it. I land mine with 10-12% most of the time.
2020-7-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to see!
2020-7-13
Use props
haxx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12024 ft
Kenya

@ian did your battery refuse to charge after? like it did it refuse to show any lights?
2022-1-29
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

haxx Posted at 1-29 06:11
@ian did your battery refuse to charge after? like it did it refuse to show any lights?

It worked (and still works) fine.  I think it's more damaging if you make a habit of doing this...!
CHeers
Ian
2022-2-1
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Great video and many thanks for showing this. I would never have tried this. Great to hear that you battery is still working.
2022-2-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Nicely done Ian. Thank you.
2023-7-27
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Would you consider reviewing my post about whether Autoland can be overridden with Failsafe-RTH or Retrace?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid3094667

Thanks  
2023-7-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wrong thread sorry
2023-7-28
Use props