Why is DJI Tello compatible w/ 3rd party apps, but not Mini?
4603 23 2020-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

I would like to remind everyone asking for active track, that the Tello, DJI's smallest drone, didn't come with it, but 3rd party apps made that feature available.  If DJI would allow 3rd party apps for the Mini, then software based features like active track, will probably be available much sooner.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

They are releasing the SDK this month finally so it should be soon...
2020-7-9
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

22340179 Posted at 7-9 12:42
They are releasing the SDK this month finally so it should be soon...

That would be goods news if you are right.  A paid app with a screen based controller and active track would probably get quite a few purchases.  If the Mini isn't the best selling drone of all time, it's got to be close.
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's actually the Ryze Tello (not DJI Tello) made by Ryze Technology which is a separate company to DJI - the Tello is not a DJI manufactured drone though Ryze do use the DJI flight control system in it's production and given that affiliation DJI is a key partner. The Mini, on the other hand, is exclusively made by DJI.
2020-7-9
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

A J Posted at 7-9 13:41
It's actually the Ryze Tello (not DJI Tello) made by Ryze Technology which is a separate company to DJI - the Tello is not a DJI manufactured drone though Ryze do use the DJI flight control system in it's production and given that affiliation DJI is a key partner. The Mini, on the other hand, is exclusively made by DJI.

So currently, are any DJI drones open to 3rd party app development?
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trader6777 Posted at 7-9 13:47
So currently, are any DJI drones open to 3rd party app development?

I've used the Litchi app on many DJI drones in the past - I don't think the Mini And Mavic Air 2 are at present but as 22340179 advised DJI are planning on releasing the SDK soon enough. Ryze doesn't need to rely on DJI to release SDK.
2020-7-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

A J Posted at 7-9 13:50
I've used the Litchi app on many DJI drones in the past - I don't think the Mini And Mavic Air 2 are at present but as 22340179 advised DJI are planning on releasing the SDK soon enough. Ryze doesn't need to rely on DJI to release SDK.

Rumor has it it's the 13th, I'm more curious what could be included in this next firmware update before the release of the SDK.

Source from a post on the forums that came from no where but later if you look at DJI's github you can find the 13th mentioned. Who know's how legit this wil be.

2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 7-9 14:03
Rumor has it's the 13th, I'm more curious what could be included in this next firmware update before the release of the SDK.

Interesting times ahead - I'm sure there are plenty of things DJI can still release on both the MM and MA2 - time will tell.
2020-7-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

If you are talking about the best tello app called TelloFPV, which I used and know it added some sort of barely workable active tracked based on the phone compass, gps and tello's VPS. I have to say it was not even based on the SDK. The dev of the app specifically told people he reverse engineered the app by encrypting the source code of the original tello app. Whatever that means I am no programmer, but it is clear he did it without SDK. In fact he said SDK offers very limited functions compared to his method. He is a very genuine and active dev and I believe his statements. I guess the reason no one worked on MINI is because people expect DJI to supply good level of support and upgrades. TelloFPV dev said it is hard to made money off the app he made, it was pure hobby.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SDK (software dev kit) basically enables developers to control how your camera, gimbal, and more behaves and interacts with mobile apps they create. I'm not sure if waypoints would be possible or active tracking with the mini either as they aren't currently possible on the device/app. You can program things that already exist with the kit. They have waypoints for the Spark on Litchi but it is more "experimental" as they put it. Any kind of active tracking would be limited and nowhere near what other DJI drones are capable of either so if people are hoping for something that can track you over 100m away or through obstacles forget it.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

double post. why is this forum so glitchy?
2020-7-9
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Guorium Posted at 7-9 16:57
If you are talking about the best tello app called TelloFPV, which I used and know it added some sort of barely workable active tracked based on the phone compass, gps and tello's VPS. I have to say it was not even based on the SDK. The dev of the app specifically told people he reverse engineered the app by encrypting the source code of the original tello app. Whatever that means I am no programmer, but it is clear he did it without SDK. In fact he said SDK offers very limited functions compared to his method. He is a very genuine and active dev and I believe his statements. I guess the reason no one worked on MINI is because people expect DJI to supply good level of support and upgrades. TelloFPV dev said it is hard to made money off the app he made, it was pure hobby.

I'm iOS only, so I actually had the "tellome" app in mind.  The active track on it, loses the person easily, but the fact a drone so tiny has it (80g), is pretty cool.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Guorium Posted at 7-9 16:57
If you are talking about the best tello app called TelloFPV, which I used and know it added some sort of barely workable active tracked based on the phone compass, gps and tello's VPS. I have to say it was not even based on the SDK. The dev of the app specifically told people he reverse engineered the app by encrypting the source code of the original tello app. Whatever that means I am no programmer, but it is clear he did it without SDK. In fact he said SDK offers very limited functions compared to his method. He is a very genuine and active dev and I believe his statements. I guess the reason no one worked on MINI is because people expect DJI to supply good level of support and upgrades. TelloFPV dev said it is hard to made money off the app he made, it was pure hobby.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't made a small fortune off the TelloFPV app. It says it's $8.49 when I just had a look... 1471 reviews, even that is $12k obviously minus the play store cut. And that's only the number of people that reviewed it, I imagine the number that actually downloaded it would be much higher.
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.14.24 am.png
2020-7-9
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

22340179 Posted at 7-9 17:13
I'd be surprised if he hadn't made a small fortune off the TelloFPV app. He charges $6-7 for the app isn't it? There were hundreds of reviews... you do the math.

Anyone who releases an active track app for the mini will make a small fortune.... This forum is proof of that.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

trader6777 Posted at 7-9 17:16
Anyone who releases an active track app for the mini will make a small fortune.... This forum is proof of that.

Litchi will probably add something but it won't be anything spectacular. An active track that loses it's subject easily and a drone without obstacle avoidance... even the quickshots on the mini are limited to 40m. They are 100m on the Spark... the mini is good at what it does but don't expect it to do stuff it wasn't designed to do very well.
2020-7-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

22340179 Posted at 7-9 17:13
I'd be surprised if he hadn't made a small fortune off the TelloFPV app. It says it's $8.49 when I just had a look... 1471 reviews, even that is $12k obviously minus the play store cut. And that's only the number of people that reviewed it, I imagine the number that actually downloaded it would be much higher.
[view_image]

He said the time he spent on the app is not worth it if he tried to make a profit. I'd imagine programmers in Germany expect a very handsome rate.
2020-7-9
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Guorium Posted at 7-9 17:32
He said the time he spent on the app is not worth it if he tried to make a profit. I'd imagine programmers in Germany expect a very handsome rate.

For something of a hobby programming it all in his free time, it's not anything to turn your nose up at. Now he sits back while the app profits roll in. There are a lot of Tello's out there. I had one myself before I got the Mini, amazing little drone. He didn't know how to program the Apple iOS unfortunately so missed out a chunk on that market.
2020-7-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. The third party application may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said application during flight. To ensure the safety of the drone and the pilot, please use the DjI Fly application for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and safe flying.
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_cdCY1i2XJVOf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-10 00:24
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. The third party application may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said application during flight. To ensure the safety of the drone and the pilot, please use the DjI Fly application for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and safe flying.

It would be no easier for DJI to include it in a future update. With the number of requests from your customers I do not understand why you do not do it.
If this is a business strategy it is bad. Not everyone can afford to upgrade to the top range, especially just for leisure and family use.
Kind regards
(I am French, I used a French to English translation)
2020-7-10
Use props
Floki Chan AKA. EZpawn
lvl.3

Canada

Shh.. Don't tell anyone.
2020-7-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Time give it time. I’m sure SDK will soon be released, but I don’t expect we will see reputable companies lIke Litchi design an AT program, but you might see third party cowboys have a go but really can you trust them with your drone.
2020-7-10
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Even after the SDK releases it's not like it's instantly supported, sure someone like litchi has a code base/foundation to plug in the mavic mini stuff but even that will take some time before we see an update that adds support. Anyone fully 3rd party has to write a base and everything that Litchi already has, so hobbyist are going to be slow to the punch before you expect to see anything "custom".
2020-7-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you’ll find that most people who have AT never use it, maybe once twice and then it’s forgotten about. So nobody’s going to make a fortune on it. Most people desire what they can’t have .

Try a simple exercise go to videos posted on this forum and you’ll see less than 1% of all videos shown on this forum have used AT, I believe you will find it Hard to find even 2 using AT.

I won’t be investing....
2020-7-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_cdCY1i2XJVOf Posted at 7-10 11:04
It would be no easier for DJI to include it in a future update. With the number of requests from your customers I do not understand why you do not do it.
If this is a business strategy it is bad. Not everyone can afford to upgrade to the top range, especially just for leisure and family use.
Kind regards

Thank you for the additional information and for sharing your personal insights regarding this feature. With regards to this matter. This has been forwarded to the designated DJI support team for further evaluation. For more information about the DJI Mavic Mini, please visit the official DJI website www.dji.com. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules