P2V+ Video Preview on iPad-mini and iPod
2403 12 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrunoPaillard
New

Canada

I use my Phantom 2 Vision Plus with both and iPad-Mini and an iPod 5.

The Video Preview is behaving much differently on each:

- On the iPad-Mini, when the Video Preview is set to the maximum (640x480 - 30fps) the video is at times choppy (as if the iPad is cutting some frames to keep up), but there is a very small lag
- On the iPod 5, when the Video Preview is set to the maximum the video feed quickly accumulates a very large amount of lag (in the tens of seconds to minutes), so much so that it is impossible to use for flying.

I prefer to use the iPod as it is much lighter, but then I cannot have the smoothest quality...

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Bruno
2014-9-18
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

The lag is almost always caused by the speed of preview.
Choose a slower fps and you should see improvement...
2014-9-18
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

i notice it too. I like the better quality image so if I run in to problems I switch to the preview at 15fps option. It is choppy, but at least clear.
2014-9-18
Use props
jsgosin
lvl.1

United States

Long delay between command and video

I am new to this forum so I apologize inadvance if this question has been asked.  I searched and didn't find an answer.  The question pertains to a Vision Plus being used in Phontom GPS mode. I am frequently experiencing long delays between the camera and the video preview.  Does anyone have any experience with this problem?  Thank you.
2014-9-20
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Set it to the lowest resolution in preview quality on the app 320x240 15fps.
If you are talking about the delay between taking a photo and it returning to the video screen then that is normal as it has to write the file to the memory card.
2014-9-20
Use props
jsgosin
lvl.1

United States

I am aware of the photo delay.  This is something different.  The video feed from the quad to the iPhone can be delayed as much as 15-30 seconds.  Similarly, changes made to the angle of the camera also seemed delayed ( more than just the video delay as mentioned.)  It is as if there is a big lag in transmitting between the phone and the quad.  The flight controls work fine.  I have tried different preview resolutions, even the lowest, but that doesn't seem to matter.
2014-9-20
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this happens to me too. Know that the video is writing to the card just fine. It is the delay between the drone and the iPhone or iPad. The way to correct it, in my experience, is to switch out to the main settings menu (not the on screen settings menu) and then back to the FPV screen. This will not stop it from happening again, but it will get you back to a live view state. To prevent it, John is right. Change the preview setting to something slower like 640 15fps or even 320 15 fps. I rarely ever have to go down to 320. But sometimes I will go to the 640 15fps. It makes the FPV choppy, but should be easier to send the live feed quicker.
2014-9-20
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
Singapore

do the minimum setting. then less laggy
2014-9-21
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, less data transmitted means less lag, 320x240 15fps should be super smooth at all times, and good enough to frame photos and video.
2014-9-21
Use props
jsgosin
lvl.1

United States

Thank you.  I will try that "work around."
2014-9-21
Use props
Jim Breese
New

United States

I want to try the "The way to correct it, in my experience, is to switch out to the main settings menu (not the on screen settings menu) and then back to the FPV screen" technique, but I don't understand what Tony is saying here.  Can someone interpret this for me? Tony?
2014-12-31
Use props
tomsessa
New

United States

Why is it not recommend to use an iPad mini I don't have a smart phone will a something less expensive like a iPod 4 work good for fpv?
2015-1-1
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I use an iPad Air just fine, don't have smart phone either.
2015-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules