iOS DJI Fly 1.1.5 crashes on startup if the device has inet access
7722 33 2020-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Korrd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13270226 ft
Argentina

While it was working fine on my device as of yesterday,  this morning the app began crashing on launch. I've already rebooted  device, uninstalled then reinstalled, to no avail. Is anyone else  experiencing this issue?

Vic

---

UPDATE

If  I set my device on flight mode, it works just fine. The moment I go out  of flight mode, and allow it to access The Internet®, it crashes.

Looks  like it is getting a garbage response from a service it is consuming,  hence causing a crash due to an unhandled exception on the app code.

---

UPDATE 2:

The issue is related to the facebook SDK. It has happened before.

There  is an outage, and crashes reported. While this will solve itself the  moment facebook can fix this, the DJI Fly app should be able to handle  such eventualities on its own.

---

UPDATE 3:

If you disable flight mode while in the air, the app dies and you are left in the dark, hoping for RTH to save you.

2020-7-10
Use props
jafricola
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102090 ft
Germany

Same here! Instant crash when opening the app on my 11 Pro. I am on iOS 13.5.1. Yesterday the app still worked fine.
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

If I set my device on flight mode, it works just fine. The moment I go out of flight mode, and allow it to access The Internet®, it crashes.

Looks like you are getting a garbage response from a service you are consuming, hence causing a crash due to an unhandled exception on your app code.
2020-7-10
Use props
NewEntry
lvl.1
Flight distance : 948999 ft
Germany

Are you guys on iOS 14 beta ?
2020-7-10
Use props
jafricola
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102090 ft
Germany

NewEntry Posted at 7-10 03:20
Are you guys on iOS 14 beta ?

No, iOS 13.5.1.
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

No, I am also on latest stable, 13.5.1.
2020-7-10
Use props
Dennis_W
New

Germany

same thing here, iOS 13.5.1, iPhone 7. tried on different phone thats never seen the app -> crash on start if wifi is on. wifi off, the app start, but cant register because wifi is off and it wont connet via mobile carrier (?!)
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

The issue is related to the facebook SDK. It has happened before.

https://developers.facebook.com/status/issues/1739188102911114/

There is an outage, and crashes reported. While this will solve itself the moment facebook can fix this, the DJI Fly app should be able to handle such eventualities on its own.

2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_Yt5tUc4UaRBl
New
Germany

Just a question from a non IT expert: how is Facebook creating issues with a drone flying app? Do I miss something essentially?
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

Do you imagine what would happen it if were to crash mid-flight?

I've just tested that, and if you disable flight mode while in the air, the app dies and you are left in the dark, hoping for RTH to save you if you are too far away to bring it home manually.

2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_fz9OmChdw6rA
New

South Korea

I am having the exact same issue on the latest iOS and iPad OS. There seems to be many more of this issue on this forum too.
mavicpilots.com/threads/ios-dji-fly-1-1-5-crashes-on-startup-on-iphone-11-pro.93364/
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

Yeah. I started the original thread there, then remembered DJI did have a support forum, so posted it here too and referenced that one to this one.
2020-7-10
Use props
Dennis_W
New

Germany

djiuser_Yt5tUc4UaRBl Posted at 7-10 03:42
Just a question from a non IT expert: how is Facebook creating issues with a drone flying app? Do I miss something essentially?

its the facebook SDK (software development kit): you can use their platform to create your own applications. if they "goof", your program, using that sdk, has a problem. roughly speaking.
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_BNHVaTrAfpFQ
lvl.1

Germany

Only Problem with iPhone or iPad with iOS . Android works great
2020-7-10
Use props
Dennis_W
New

Germany

what i dont get is that you cant register if you dont have wifi. I have LTE thatworks just fine, but no, the app only connects via wifi.
2020-7-10
Use props
fansf173fdee
New
Flight distance : 6936 ft
United Kingdom

So I can confirm this bizarre finding. I have experienced this today with IOS 13.5.1. Open the app and it crashes, yet....if you turn off WiFi the app opens and you can fly. Reported with videos to DJI support.
2020-7-10
Use props
Damien Porter
lvl.1

Australia

Dennis_W Posted at 7-10 03:52
what i dont get is that you cant register if you dont have wifi. I have LTE thatworks just fine, but no, the app only connects via wifi.
I just purchased my 1st drone (DJI Mavic air 2) and I have to say it’s already leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

All I wanted to do was charge the batteries and make sure no updates were needed and have a look tomorrow, now I have to hope that they resolve so I can use it
2020-7-10
Use props
Qroost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30282 ft
Netherlands

Went out this morning on assignment taking the Mavic two pro with me. I open the app and it immediately crashed. After a few times I deleted the app, reinstalled it but it keeps crashing. That is not a cool thing if you need to earn your money with droneflying. I am using the DJI GO 4 app on an iPhone 8 plus.
2020-7-10
Use props
Qroost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30282 ft
Netherlands

fansf173fdee Posted at 7-10 04:06
So I can confirm this bizarre finding. I have experienced this today with IOS 13.5.1. Open the app and it crashes, yet....if you turn off WiFi the app opens and you can fly. Reported with videos to DJI support.

When I turn off Wi-Fi it still crashes. I need to put My iPhone in flight mode then it does not crash
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_4W1ocD359AL2
New

United Kingdom

same in the UK
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_4W1ocD359AL2
New

United Kingdom

just spoken to on line support and they working on it app not launching  since am ? updates will be on the dji website
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_BNHVaTrAfpFQ
lvl.1

Germany

Fixed. Working in germany
2020-7-10
Use props
jensihnow.de
New

Germany

DJI, didn’t you learn anything from last times issue with Facebook SDK? Get it removed or wrap it properly, not having the drone available because Facebook is having an issue is a NO GO! Fix this asap on your code and don’t wait for Facebook!
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

To be sincere, it kills confidence on a product the fact that such a critical part of it can fail at any time with no forewarning due to a third party service that seems to be in no way related to aircraft control.
Errors coming from such should be properly wrapped, and not be part of your app critical path, hence preventing a crash. If I may be so bold, you should be careful not to incur on happy path programming while developing such apps.

Vic
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_4W1ocD359AL2
New

United Kingdom

work in UK now
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

Yeah, I can confirm on my side.

Still, the facebook incident is still open and reported as investigating. I wouldn't dare fly until either they address the issue with a new DJI fly app release, or the incident is at least marked as resolved.

Not fancying risking an expensive drone just for the sake of it.
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

I'm looking forward to hear about this from a DJI representative, and see a postmortem of the incident, if publicly available.
2020-7-10
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237162 ft
United States

Will the SDK error fix the Facebook live streaming issue as well? asking for a friend... been needing the facebook live function now for 3 months and its been down for close to 6..
2020-7-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, the APP issue has been fixed, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. If there is any other problem, please feel free to let us know.
2020-7-10
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-10 19:51
Hi all, the APP issue has been fixed, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. If there is any other problem, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks. Did you take any active steps to resolve it, or did you wait until the SDK issue got solved on Facebook's side?
2020-7-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Korrd Posted at 7-11 06:32
Thanks. Did you take any active steps to resolve it, or did you wait until the SDK issue got solved on Facebook's side?

Sorry that we didn't get the specific information about how our engineers got it solved, thanks for your understanding. Please keep us updated if there is any other problem. Enjoy flying.
2020-7-12
Use props
djiuser_cK0RLWEBrGsl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 884278 ft
United States

djiuser_Yt5tUc4UaRBl Posted at 7-10 03:42

This should help explain why: https://dronelife.com/2016/04/12/facebook-announces-live-drone-streaming/.
2020-7-18
Use props
jessemusick
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47959 ft
United States

I just connected my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.2 beta installed. Opened DJI FLY to connect to my M2P...it immediately crashed and will not open at all. Could this be related to the iOS beta that is installed or is this an issue that has come up again with the Facebook SDK?
2020-9-24
Use props
cmulcahy
lvl.1

United States

Just a note to those still frustrated by this that AirMap will still work for you.  It integrates well. It doesn't have some of the fun tools but it offers other benefits.  

Most importantly, it lets you still fly when the DJI GO 4 app crashes.
2020-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules