Saw a 10 year kid flying a P3P and shooting small bottle rockets off the legs
1426 16 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

I was at the park on wednesday with some friends.  I was not able to bring my P3P.  As I was sitting down talking with my friends i could hear a buzzing noise.  I looked to my left and I saw a Phantom rising about 200 feet away.  I saw it flying around and it stopped to hover and to my amazment 4 bottlerockets shot out from the bottom.  I said what the &%$#.   I got up and started walking over to where it took off.  As I came over a hill there was a small 10 year kid holding a P3P controller.  I started laughing.  

I came over and said hi.  I told him I had one too.  I asked him how it fired those small rockets.  He landed the P3P and show me what he did.  It was a simple design.  He had 4 small bottle rockets in 2 clear tubes on each leg.  The tubes went out farther then the props did.  i guessing to protect against the downwash.  He had a tiny battery with wires going to the bottle rockets and to the Camera.  He had 2 wires tape to the cam.   Whenever the cam went up the top, the two wires would touch and fire the little rockets.  I admit it look pretty cool.  

What I am amazed about is the kid said his grand mother bought the P3P for him.  Very odd how a 10 year kid says his grandmother ordered it for him 10 days ago and he got it 5 days later with not one battery but with 6 batterys when most of us still didnt get our 2nd battery yet LOL.  

I want a grandmother like that.

2015-6-18
Use props
KittenSwagger
lvl.2

United States

And that is the reason why people think these are annoying and dangerous...

These are not toys.
2015-6-18
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

That kid is gonna do something VERY stupid/dangerous soon.
Oh wait he already has.

I bet that kid has RICH parents/grandparents
Surely I would have done something like asking to talk to his idiotic parents, or report the kid to the police, but then it can show up in the news and f up drones for everyone cause maybe the faa will do something idk...
2015-6-18
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

KittenSwagger Posted at 2015-6-19 05:49
And that is the reason why people think these are annoying and dangerous...

These are not toys.

I think mine is annoying and dangerous for other reasons.
2015-6-18
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Did you see the batteries?  If not, I suspect this little trouble maker was probably pulling your leg.
2015-6-18
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-19 06:02
Did you see the batteries?  If not, I suspect this little trouble maker was probably pulling your le ...

Yea he had a battery to light off the bottle rockets.  He was using the  model rocket igniters.  The P3P did  lift off pretty slow.  For a 10 year old he sure knew what he was doing.    The sad part is he flies that P3P better then I fly mine,  lol

Oh and yes I think the kid's family is pretty well off.  His mother wasnt with him, his nanny was.
2015-6-18
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

The problem with something like this is that if the rockets hit someone then the news story would read something like this: "Drone used to launch rockets into unsuspecting public" and Fox's headline would be "Are Drones the next terrorists' choice of weapon?" And not to mention the injury caused to the person who was hit.
2015-6-18
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

druiz100@hotmai Posted at 2015-6-19 07:11
Yea he had a battery to light off the bottle rockets.  He was using the  model rocket igniters.  Th ...

Flying the Phantom is pretty much like flying some of the spaceships and airplanes in video games. Kids have no problems learning how to fly these things. Most of them already know how. I wouldn't let my kids fly anywhere near people though. These things can be very dangerous in careless, irresponsible hands that don't understand repercussions.
2015-6-18
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

druiz100@hotmai Posted at 2015-6-19 07:11
Yea he had a battery to light off the bottle rockets.  He was using the  model rocket igniters.  Th ...

I think he means did you see all of his 6 batteries...
2015-6-18
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope the kid doesn't live in California - we don't have water to fight the inevitable fire.
2015-6-18
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Jack57 Posted at 2015-6-19 07:46
I think he means did you see all of his 6 batteries...

No I only saw 3 extra batteries in his case.  
2015-6-18
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

Struth. If these aren't toys, what are they? Most people will be flying these for fun, not profit.

Kids will be kids. Good on him, sounds like an innovator
2015-6-18
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be glad it was a bottle rockets than a nuclear warhead then we would really have a problem.
2015-6-18
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Helios Posted at 2015-6-19 07:24
The problem with something like this is that if the rockets hit someone then the news story would re ...

you got a better chance of CNN saying that then Fox News. CNN loves to over dramatize the news. Fox News gives it to you how it is.
2015-6-18
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

What the heck, My 2nd battery just can thru Fedex from DJI.  I never got a email they even shipped it.  Came from Torrance CA 90502.  Was shipped on Jun16 and got here today jun 18.  Yahoo more flight time.    I order my P3P on the May 27th, my P3P was at my door on Jun 2nd and that was direct from china.    It took 16 days to get my bundles 2nd battery.  Not to bad, i can live with that.
2015-6-18
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-19 08:46
you got a better chance of CNN saying that then Fox News. CNN loves to over dramatize the news. Fox ...

>> Fox News gives it to you how it is.

LOL!

They are all bad.
2015-6-18
Use props
fritz
lvl.2

United States

Its OK, if he kills somebody they can come back to life in the next round
2015-6-19
Use props
Advanced