One Flight Video Became Two Flight Videos
446 11 2020-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Greetings to everyone. I ventured out today to fly at one of my favorite areas - the local golf links. Beautiful day weather wise. I had my video settings set to 4K 30 fps in D-Cinelike Mode.
I turned on the video before initiating takeoff and took about a eight minute flight turning off the video after a very precise bullseye landing (about 1 inch off). When I got home and downloaded the video from the SD card I was surprised to see two video files on the card. (The card was empty pre-flight). I played back both videos and it seems that somehow the original video was cutoff about a minute before landing and the second video basically starts where the first video cut off. I'm sure I never stopped the recording and then restarted it. Has anybody had any similar incidents? BTW I am running all the latest drone firmware and DJI software versions (as far as I know). Thanks for reading this and I hope I can get some help for this.
2020-7-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This is perfecly normal. DJI intentionally split the files once they go past the 4GB point, into two files. You can butt join them in an editor perfectly. The reason for the split was originally an ancient import duty tax level, but it has no relevance these days.
2020-7-10
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 7-10 18:39
This is perfecly normal. DJI intentionally split the files once they go past the 4GB point, into two files. You can butt join them in an editor perfectly. The reason for the split was originally an ancient import duty tax level, but it has no relevance these days.

Hi. I just checked the size of the first video and it was 3.50 GB.  Any thoughts?
2020-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Magicdroner Posted at 7-10 18:44
Hi. I just checked the size of the first video and it was 3.50 GB.  Any thoughts?

Go and shoot a lot more and you'll find that if you shoot continuously, all your video will be cut into equal (nearly 4GB) file size blocks.
It's completely normal.
2020-7-10
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-10 18:47
Go and shoot a lot more and you'll find that if you shoot continuously, all your video will be cut into equal (nearly 4GB) file size blocks.
It's completely normal.

Good. I'm glad I didn't really have a problem. Thanks guys for the info.
2020-7-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not only that, it takes longer to edit or add data to a larger file. So if they did not limit the size of the file, it would cause problems if the recording device wasn't very fast.

Up to now, I have had as many as 4 files for each flight.

2020-7-10
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-10 20:52
Not only that, it takes longer to edit or add data to a larger file. So if they did not limit the size of the file, it would cause problems if the recording device wasn't very fast.

Up to now, I have had as many as 4 files for each flight.

Hi. The reason I didn't know about this is because I usually take some photos during my flights but today I was in my strictly video mood.
2020-7-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you drop the resolution from 4K to say 2.7K the file size will be smaller. I did an 8 minute video in 2.7K/30 without it stopping. Obviously if you need 4K then that will be no good for you so plan your shoots around 3.5 minute videos or be prepared to use transitions in post.
2020-7-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

A J Posted at 7-10 23:33
If you drop the resolution from 4K to say 2.7K the file size will be smaller. I did an 8 minute video in 2.7K/30 without it stopping. Obviously if you need 4K then that will be no good for you so plan your shoots around 3.5 minute videos or be prepared to use transitions in post.

'or be prepared to use transitions in post."

It should really not be necessary to use a transition, as the split files should butt together perfectly. One upon a time there was a gap, in the older aircraft, but these days they should match.
2020-7-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 7-11 12:05
'or be prepared to use transitions in post."

It should really not be necessary to use a transition, as the split files should butt together perfectly. One upon a time there was a gap, in the older aircraft, but these days they should match.

Good to know - thanks mate
2020-7-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Magicdroner. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-7-12
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

See my post...    https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218227
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules