Matrice 600 Pro high altitude large payload propulsion problem
1777 7 2020-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
feelsomoon
lvl.2

United States

Hi,

I'm conducting an air pollution research using the drone. We have a Matrice 600 Pro for 500 m vertical measurements. The payload is a coil tubing of about 3 kg. We hang the coil under the drone using a rope of about 2 m.

Recently we encountered 2 accidents. The drone encountered the ESC error at the height of 300, 400 m respectively. It started dropping at the speed at 8 m/s while rotating. It was out of control when dropping. When the coil reached the ground, I regained part of the control and landed the drone.

We sent the drone back to DJI for repair after the first accident. The tech support said it is caused by the propulsion issue. Further investigation shows that motor 4 went to a no output state. This may be a natural injury during use and flight.

We were hoping it was just bad luck while the same issue happened again after repairing.  I have flown tens of 500 m height flights at the same location but without the coil, and flights carried another bigger coil but below 120 m. The location's sea level is about 800'. Plus 1700' of the flight height, it is right on the limit of the propellers. The combination of high altitude and large payload might be the problem, also the swing dynamics caused by the way of mounting.

I'm wondering if any of you could give some insights into this issue. Thanks!
2020-7-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry to know the drone was crashed again after getting back from the repair center, the max service ceiling above sea level with 2170R propellers is 2500 m, 2195 propellers is 4500 m. It is recommended to start a ticket online again and send back the drone for the data analysis, our team will help figure out what happened this time.
2020-7-11
Use props
feelsomoon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-11 23:21
We are so sorry to know the drone was crashed again after getting back from the repair center, the max service ceiling above sea level with 2170R propellers is 2500 m, 2195 propellers is 4500 m. It is recommended to start a ticket online again and send back the drone for the data analysis, our team will help figure out what happened this time.

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your reply. I'll do that. We'll probably still need to use the same weight of the payload, or even heavier for another project. I think we need to change the way to mount it other than hanging it.

My guessing is the suspended payload is influencing the drone's dynamics. The high altitudes' thinner air also contributes to the burden. When the disturbance exceeds the limit of the flight controller's ability, even the motor's maximum rotation couldn't support the flight. The ESC error might be the overcurrent protection of the motor. I'm not sure if this is reasonable for you.

I'm wondering if there is any information about how the drone's ability to hold payload would decrease with the wind.
2020-7-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

feelsomoon Posted at 7-12 17:11
Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your reply. I'll do that. We'll probably still need to use the same weight of the payload, or even heavier for another project. I think we need to change the way to mount it other than hanging it.

Sorry for the late response, I will verify with our engineers regarding this and come back to you as soon as possible.
Once you create the ticket, please keep me updated with the case number.
2020-7-14
Use props
feelsomoon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-14 05:02
Sorry for the late response, I will verify with our engineers regarding this and come back to you as soon as possible.
Once you create the ticket, please keep me updated with the case number.

Thank you, Mindy. The case number is 1ZE80E409099894275.
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

feelsomoon Posted at 7-15 08:24
Thank you, Mindy. The case number is 1ZE80E409099894275.

Sorry to keep you waiting, we don't have the related info of the relationship between the payload and the altitude, we only have the specs of the propulsion system for your reference: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+V1.4.pdf

It is recommended to wait for the data analysis result to see whether the drone was crashed due to the same problem.
2020-7-19
Use props
feelsomoon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-19 03:05
Sorry to keep you waiting, we don't have the related info of the relationship between the payload and the altitude, we only have the specs of the propulsion system for your reference: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/e2000/20161220/E2000+Pro+User+Manual+V1.4.pdf

It is recommended to wait for the data analysis result to see whether the drone was crashed due to the same problem.

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for the suggestions! The drone was sent back yesterday. How can I get a data analysis report?

I get a mail from your official site that it's possible to buy the enterprise shield service. I called my local dealer Drones Made Easy. They said the model Matrice is not on their inventory. Do you know why?

By the way, I found the Zenmuse X3 is easily getting overheat. It is functioned and there is no error showing. Do you know what's the potential reason?

Thanks a lot!!
2020-7-30
Use props
feelsomoon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-19 03:05
Sorry to keep you waiting, we don't have the related info of the relationship between the payload and the altitude, we only have the specs of the propulsion system for your reference: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/e2000/20161220/E2000+Pro+User+Manual+V1.4.pdf

Hi Mindy,

Today the drone reported an ESC error right after taking off. It didn't disappear after rebooting. In the flight records, the motor ESC status showed signal error.

I checked the ESC setting in the DJI assistant 2. All the motors could spin properly. Then I tried to refresh all the firmware. After updating, motor 2 couldn't spin smoothly. I rebooted it. It went well again.

I started the motors, keep them running for a while. No more errors. The flight records showed the motor 4 ESC went normally.

I'm not sure if this means it is safe to fly now. Any suggestions?
2020-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules