External audio for the Action - again...
2849 11 2020-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have been looking at the previous discussions here about the Cynova audio adapter for the Action.  Late in the main discussion there is a link to a video where it is explained how to make your own adapter.  This, to my surprise, is an entirely passive device, just a 3.5mm socket and a USB C plug, correctly wired, and apparently in stereo.  In that video at the end it is demonstrated to be working, though the stereo issue is not addressed.  I don't think anyone commented on that very interesting video in the thread here.

This seems to me to confirm that the Cynova adapter has nothing to do with the sound - unless for some reason it does have some active components, but that would seem to be unnecessary.  If the Cynova does not work in stereo - as David Harry has most clearly demonstrated - then either it is incorrectly wired, or else the USB C socket on the Action only has the left hand channel connected inside the Action, which would mean that whatever is done externally, you'll never get stereo.

I have an Action on order.  Given that this issue has been affected by firmware updates, and in the light of the information that is shown by the design of the DIY version, what is the current advice from existing users?  Should I simply rely on external audio via an audio recorder (of which I seem to have many....) or is the Cynova adapter now worth buying?  As I'm particularly interested in stereo, unless the firmware update has magically resolved the lack of stereo sound, then I guess a separate audio system is going to be the way to go.

Link to the DIY adapter video -
2020-7-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

By the way, there's a circuit diagram (wiring diagram) in the video comments, and there are English subtitles if you turn them on.
2020-7-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

when you deal with 3rd party, that is what you get?   and no firmware did not make it Stereo, funnyhow posters sold off, and no  longer shows a continued interest Lol.

Mono it  still is, just Like Xiaomi/Yi technology.   maybe they got plans to make a stereo one when they  release OA 2.  If this was important we  see it corrected, its not.
2020-7-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to see!
2020-7-13
Use props
Rahul K
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67884 ft
Canada

The best solution would be for DJi to add Bluetooth Mic support on the Osmo Action/ Pocket and we could use any bluetooth mic or extern recorder that we want.

I know Insta360 One R have support for bluetooth wireless mic and even airpods so it shouldn't be hard ad Action already has bluetooth.
2020-7-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

they did it via the smartphone but you want it direct of the camera? the Mimo app has it.
2020-7-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the responses.  I've now received my Osmo Action (it's good, isn't it!) and meanwhile i found a cheap supplier of the Cynova adapter, cheap enough that I've ordered one to make up my own mind (in the knowledge that it will be a mono outcome).  The price is low enough that I wonder whether it's a fake, but as it's clear that it's a passive device, being a fake shouldn't actually matter - they can't go too far wrong with putting it together - well, in a few days I will know!
2020-7-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. With regards to the DIY or third party adapter for the DJI Osmo Action. These adapters may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said adapters which can void the warranty of the said camera. Thank you.
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_PWQBLsjsxKvu
lvl.1
Hungary

Hi, thumbs up for the Bluetooth Mic idea. I don't care if there will be only official mic for the osmo action, but we need some good solution for sound recording. It's horrible to record audio separetly and then syncronizing to the movie. The internal mic is good quality, but records a lot of noise.
2020-7-14
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

CYNOVA mic are sold by CYNOVA, not DJI, they are 3rd party, the   sites like Alixexpress, banggood sells for $12.00  lowest around, today they may be 15.00  and the Offical DJI site passes it as the highest prices on the market, they are retail, at $40 plus.  I always look for hte lowest, and best price on the market.  Fake , think not, IMHO.
2020-7-14
Use props
nghialaptop78
New

Vietnam

Tested ok 100% working
https://youtu.be/6W_9oTgyKqI
2022-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules