Best format for video going to windows PC
740 8 2020-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neptune99
lvl.1

United States

Hello all, newbie here with Mavic 2 zoom. Last drone was a Yunec Q500, nice old drone, but needed upgrade, and something that was easier to travel with.My first question here is what recording format is better suited for a Windows based PC, mov, or mp4. I read it somewhere before but can't remember. Also do I need to convert video file from drone SD card, or can it be played just as it was recorded on the card ? I am asking because I did have to convert files from the Q500, but from what I have been reading on here it looks that that is not necessary if I record in the correct format. Henst the question about mov, or mp4 format.  Also will be using VLC player.

Thank's for any help.

2020-7-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The video file is exactly the same whether you use MP4 or MOV, it is only the 'container' holding the file that is different. The MOV format was a fop to Apple, because Apple thought it should have its own unique form of video file. But Windows, and most Win applications will handle either. Best to stay with MP4.

And no, you do not need to convert any file, VLC will play them without problems. However if you are using an older video editing app, you might be wise to steer clear of recording in H265.
2020-7-12
Use props
Neptune99
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 7-12 21:19
The video file is exactly the same whether you use MP4 or MOV, it is only the 'container' holding the file that is different. The MOV format was a fop to Apple, because Apple thought it should have its own unique form of video file. But Windows, and most Win applications will handle either. Best to stay with MP4.

And no, you do not need to convert any file, VLC will play them without problems. However if you are using an older video editing app, you might be wise to steer clear of recording in H265.

Thank you, Geebax, for your help. I appreciate it.
I was also wondering about a slight issue I had during my first flight the other day. I intentionally started a quickshot orbital that would have a tree in its path, basically to see the obstacle avoidance system working.  It did stop the drone at a safe distance, but made no corrective maneuver to get around it, she just hovered in place. My question,  is that normal ? also it would not take stick input to move away from that tree and I am not quite sure what I did to finally get it to move. Is it the red pause button on the controller that would end the quickshot program and give me control back, or what is the best way to stop a programmed sequence and get stick control back immediately. Thank's again for any help on this. Have a Great Day !
2020-7-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Neptune99 Posted at 7-13 06:43
Thank you, Geebax, for your help. I appreciate it.
I was also wondering about a slight issue I had during my first flight the other day. I intentionally started a quickshot orbital that would have a tree in its path, basically to see the obstacle avoidance system working.  It did stop the drone at a safe distance, but made no corrective maneuver to get around it, she just hovered in place. My question,  is that normal ? also it would not take stick input to move away from that tree and I am not quite sure what I did to finally get it to move. Is it the red pause button on the controller that would end the quickshot program and give me control back, or what is the best way to stop a programmed sequence and get stick control back immediately. Thank's again for any help on this. Have a Great Day !

You are welcome. Sorry, but I cannot help with your question, as I have never used the Quickshot modes.
2020-7-13
Use props
Neptune99
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 7-13 14:37
You are welcome. Sorry, but I cannot help with your question, as I have never used the Quickshot modes.

Ok, thank's anyway. I will put the question out on a separate thread to see if I can get it answered.
Regards.
2020-7-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this post and sharing your personal insight regarding this matter. We are happy to know that your previous query was answered. With regards to the QuickShots concern. When the drone is on the said feature and it detected an obstacle on the flight path the drone will brake and hover, please refer to the image below for more details about the QuickShots feature. Thank you.

2020-7-13
Use props
Neptune99
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-13 23:00
Hi. Thank you for creating this post and sharing your personal insight regarding this matter. We are happy to know that your previous query was answered. With regards to the QuickShots concern. When the drone is on the said feature and it detected an obstacle on the flight path the drone will brake and hover, please refer to the image below for more details about the QuickShots feature. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you much f or that information, question answered !  Have a good day.
2020-7-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Neptune99 Posted at 7-14 06:46
Thank you much f or that information, question answered !  Have a good day.

You are more than welcome. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum, we are here to help. Thank you and safe flying.
2020-7-14
Use props
Neptune99
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 7-12 21:19
The video file is exactly the same whether you use MP4 or MOV, it is only the 'container' holding the file that is different. The MOV format was a fop to Apple, because Apple thought it should have its own unique form of video file. But Windows, and most Win applications will handle either. Best to stay with MP4.

I cannot even find the H264 - H265 setting in the camera settings on the app.  Could you tell me how to get to it so I can check the setting. Thank's again for your assistance.
2020-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules