Battery Melted! Won't turn off!
2864 27 2020-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 513881 ft
United States

My batter melted mid flight!  It won't power off not matter how many times I press and hold the button.  I use the original single charger and not the hub initially and even on the regular to charge it.  Lucky I was able to remove it from the drone or even crash it mid flight due to battery being melted!.  I try contacting phone support but was on hold for more than 2 hour and then mid way getting help got hang up on.  I tried online support and no luck.  This drone is barely two week old and I even got the refresh!  What are my option or if there even one if no one is helping.  Every time I get a person I get hang up on.

20200711_204051.jpg
20200711_204115.jpg
20200711_204155.jpg
2020-7-13
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hopefully a moderator reading your post will help you. Cheers
2020-7-13
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

This looks like the 3rd time this failure mode has popped up on 3 different birds..
Just in the last 2 weeks???
2020-7-13
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

ssylca44 Posted at 7-13 12:18
Hopefully a moderator reading your post will help you. Cheers

Still no luck!  I might have to use my care plan instead of the warranty!  This is unacceptable for something brand new.
2020-7-13
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 7-13 12:19
This looks like the 3rd time this failure mode has popped up on 3 different birds..
Just in the last 2 weeks???

Hopefully this is not a wide spread problem.  Im going to post a youtube video.   I feel sorry for the people who lost their drone mid flight if this was their problem.  I was fortunate to get mine back mid flight.  It smells really bad.  The sad thing is this might not even be cover under the basic warranty.  Luckily I have the care plan but this is brand new and hardly flown.
2020-7-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That doesn't look good. Hope everything work out.
2020-7-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see how this could not be a warranty replacement. It has a 6 month guarantee and the damage could not be done by the operator in my opinion. I would not even think about using the DJI Refresh repair service on this one. The cost of a new battery ($115) would not be very much more than the service fee ($69) for the repair/replacement.
2020-7-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree with Gary - this is a manufacturer defect and covered under warranty as such. The warranty is limited to 12 months or 200 recharge cycles - whichever comes first on the Mavic Air 2 batteries and two years for the drone. Do NOT claim under care refresh for this - you will lose one of your two strikes and have to pay an excess plus this is not caused by pilot error. So ensure to claim accordingly and get a brand new replacement battery and drone asap.
2020-7-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-13 15:09
I agree with Gary - this is a manufacturer defect and covered under warranty as such. The warranty is limited to 12 months or 200 recharge cycles - whichever comes first on the Mavic Air 2 batteries and two years for the drone. Do NOT claim under care refresh for this - you will lose one of your two strikes and have to pay an excess plus this is not caused by pilot error. So ensure to claim accordingly and get a brand new replacement battery and drone asap.

Is that warranty for the UK? I don't see that here. On the DJI web site, it shows 6 months or 200 cycles for the MA2 battery and 1 year for the main unit.

In another matter, I just received this return message after inquiring online about the warranty:

"Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of  COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home,  and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the  California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have  decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs  and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your  understanding and support."
2020-7-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

On a positive note.  From last picture, it does not look like Mavic Air 2 itself was damaged.  
2020-7-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry to see the battery melted and the unpleasant experience with our support. You may need to wait longer in the line during the pandemic, we apologize for this. I see you've also sent email to our team, I will inform the team to create a ticket as soon as possible. Since the battery was damaged, please send back the rest of the parts to DJI repair center once the ticket is created.

In addition, would you mind exporting the log for further analysis?
Please connect the drone to DJI Assistant 2 and export all the logs and then upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, thank you in advance.
2020-7-13
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Of all the reports I've seen of this problem, they are all melted in the exact same area.
2020-7-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Im sure I saw another post or posts with the same issues, concerning.
2020-7-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-13 18:32
Is that warranty for the UK? I don't see that here. On the DJI web site, it shows 6 months or 200 cycles for the MA2 battery and 1 year for the main unit.

I'm surprised it's not for the US but is 12 months/200 cycles for the UK

2020-7-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-13 18:32
Is that warranty for the UK? I don't see that here. On the DJI web site, it shows 6 months or 200 cycles for the MA2 battery and 1 year for the main unit.

I believe this become EU standard here in Europe...
2020-7-14
Use props
Spooky Spirits
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1204255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Facebook Mavic groups are full of battery failures in this exact spot.
2020-7-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-14 00:35
I'm surprised it's not for the US but is 12 months/200 cycles for the UK

[view_image]

Wow, that's not fair at all ;-) Maybe we are just riskier.
What I see here:
2020-7-14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-14 06:59
Wow, that's not fair at all ;-) Maybe we are just riskier.
What I see here:
[view_image]

Warranty laws I guess mate
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-13 19:29
We are so sorry to see the battery melted and the unpleasant experience with our support. You may need to wait longer in the line during the pandemic, we apologize for this. I see you've also sent email to our team, I will inform the team to create a ticket as soon as possible. Since the battery was damaged, please send back the rest of the parts to DJI repair center once the ticket is created.

In addition, would you mind exporting the log for further analysis?
Thank for responding,  I understand the long delay due to short staff because of the pandamic.  But it very frustrating when you finally get someone on the phone only for them to tell you to open a case online.  I have to plead with him to open one for me because of the long wait.  Only for him to take down all my information and then hang up on me.  Also I can't send the battery due to it leaking because it smell really bad.  Im stuck in a situation where I have to open a case using my refresh on a brand new drone and I just found out that Im not allow to ship back a battery that is leaking it against DOT and regulations.  I Also don't know how to use dj assistance 2, is that an from the google playstore or do I download it from DJi website?  
2020-7-14
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Here is an open one  https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/news/dji-mavic-air-2-teardown-repair-fix-whats-inside. Scroll down far. The board sits there, unfortunately not further disassembled.
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

Just sent my in for support and Assessment.  I will post update to see if my drone need replacement because of the electrical problem of the battery.  And if they will replace my battery for free without using the refresh plan.  I have to send in my charger, charger hub and drone and also the battery for hard evidence.  I hope they replace my drone too.  I love the air 2, best drone on the market.   Good thing I still have the mini to fly with.  I post update.  
2020-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes it’s been reported by some others, should be replaced and a free battery might help with some of the pain. Good luck.
2020-7-15
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-15 12:10
This is the third or forth time I have seen this specific issue.  The point of failure has been identical in each case.  This appears to be a fabrication or component issue.  I'm confident it will be quickly addressed & resolved, possibly involving a battery recall.  Mavic 2 Air owners need to be alert & keep close tabs on their batteries.

I totally agree about the recall or at least notify Air 2 owner of this problem.  I feel sorry for the poor soul who lost their bird due to this problem mid air over water or land that is unretrievable due to short circuit or power lost because of this battery problem and they didn't know.  
2020-7-15
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-15 12:55
Yes it’s been reported by some others, should be replaced and a free battery might help with some of the pain. Good luck.

I hope they replace my bird because what if there a electrical hidden problem because of the battery problem.  I even send them my melted battery for hard evidence since I don't want to go through this again.  The Mavic air 2 is the best drone in the market for consumers at the moment.  But if this problem with the battery is more common, then this is a serious problem for current best drone in the market.  I still think this is hand down the best drone at the moment for the average consumer.
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA Posted at 7-15 13:32
I hope they replace my bird because what if there a electrical hidden problem because of the battery problem.  I even send them my melted battery for hard evidence since I don't want to go through this again.  The Mavic air 2 is the best drone in the market for consumers at the moment.  But if this problem with the battery is more common, then this is a serious problem for current best drone in the market.  I still think this is hand down the best drone at the moment for the average consumer.

Sorry for the late response, no worries, our repair center will help take good care of your drone. Hope you will get them back soon.
2020-7-19
Use props
Derek Plafcan
lvl.1

United States

I hate to see that this may becoming a trend. All of the melted battery issues I’ve read about have happened pretty recently, leading me to believer there may have been a bad batch somewhere along the production line.

This also happened to me. 2nd battery ever used, straight out of the box. It happened during a flight less than ten minutes. The total battery % used In flight was 27, so it didn’t take much! I hope I can get a hold of them for a replacement ASAP. Such a bummer considering this was right out of the box.  One of the front lights also stopped working, leading me to believe it caused more internal electrical problems.

2020-7-25
Use props
djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA
lvl.2
United States

UPDATED.  I finally got my drone back.  DJI replaced my drone with a new one and also they replaced the melted battery with a new one.  The customer support was superb.  I really thought that they were just going to replace the battery only but nope.  They also replaced the drone with a new one.  I also didn't have to use my Dji Refresh.  They just replaced both under warranty.  Awesome customer support.  Just happy to be flying again.  
2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

djiuser_JsU0MqhXNGKA Posted at 8-6 13:54
UPDATED.  I finally got my drone back.  DJI replaced my drone with a new one and also they replaced the melted battery with a new one.  The customer support was superb.  I really thought that they were just going to replace the battery only but nope.  They also replaced the drone with a new one.  I also didn't have to use my Dji Refresh.  They just replaced both under warranty.  Awesome customer support.  Just happy to be flying again.

Glad it worked out for you!!!
2020-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules