First time Drone owner and rather disappointed
2271 27 2020-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zack Pollard
lvl.1

United States

I just purchased this $399 dollar drone following alot of positive buzz . . .however...it does not work.....

Well, I am sure the drone works however, the phone I have is a Samsung A10e and while it is more than capable of running the app as its 2018 self can, the app store says "Not compatible with this device". In addition to this, the drone will not pair with the remote because I assume it needs some updates?

What I want to know is, am I just out of luck because my phone that is less than a year old cannot run the DJI fly app? Even if I can get it to work without the app, not having the app makes me lose alot of the features the app sold me on. As a result, I either return the drone or spend another 300-800 on a phone that is compatible. This makes me feel super cheated and is not a good first impression as a first time drone owner.

I was so excited for this........

2020-7-13
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

You need 64bit OS for app compatibility...
2020-7-14
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

The problem is that there are too many obsolete smartphones for sale, offered at prices that are not always affordable.
Those who buy one must be aware that they often pay more than they get ...
2020-7-14
Use props
CatsFPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51493 ft
United States

Just FYI, that's a super low-budget phone and it's actually (as the A10) on DJI's list of incompatible phones.
2020-7-14
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CatsFPV Posted at 7-14 01:02
Just FYI, that's a super low-budget phone and it's actually (as the A10) on DJI's list of incompatible phones.

CatsFPV do you have a link to this list of incompatible phones, please? Thanks
2020-7-14
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe I am odd but I had downloaded or attempted to download, the Fly app BEFORE I bought the mini and consequently knew my existing phones (Samsung S5 & note 4) were incomaptible.
My solution a second hand compatible phone, in my case a Samsung S6. As I do not use it as a phone any network locking becomes irrelevant.

However I would suggest to the OP that they google the battery charging issue with Android devices.
The battery in the mini's controller has a reltively small capacity and charging an Android phone discharges the controller's battery rather too quickly for my tastes. There is a work around using a USB splitter cable and a USB power pack to charge the phone.

2020-7-14
Use props
Zack Pollard
lvl.1

United States

virtual Posted at 7-14 00:11
You need 64bit OS for app compatibility...

It is a 64 bit operating system........

To other posters, I appreciate the help but I shake the feeling that you guys think I didn't do any re-search.

Of all the reviews (both positive and negative) I did Phone compatibility never came up. I understand this is not on DJI. However, the drone is advertised as a good first drone that is great for beginners which to me means accessibility. I still glanced over compatability before I made my purchase to see that my phone does meet the requirements of 64 bit Operating system, has an Android version 6.0 or higher and meets minimum phone speed I didn't even think to check the app compatibility much further considering my phone isn't even a year old.

Is there a definitive list of what current phones do work?
2020-7-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zack Pollard Posted at 7-14 04:29

To other posters, I appreciate the help but I shake the feeling that you guys think I didn't do any re-search.

2020-7-14
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

Zack Pollard Posted at 7-14 04:29

The a10e has 64bit processor but is using a 32bit OS
2020-7-14
Use props
Zack Pollard
lvl.1

United States

Bezik Posted at 7-14 05:40
The a10e has 64bit processor but is using a 32bit OS

I just realized this. I may just buy a refurbished google pixel 2. It seems that will solve my problems.
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_MZw8IjBcqZzb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I bought an old iPhone 6s for this purpose,I run it with no sim card,job done.
2020-7-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Not first person to run into SmartDevice incompatibility problems.  

DJI should create a Webpage (page not a site) that verifies SmartDevice person has will or will not work.  The Webpage should be Flagged on drone marketing Webpages, along with part of shopping (check-out / buying) process.

If nothing else, DJI should provide a free downloadable No/GO App which verifies whether a person's SmartDevice meets requirements.  SmartDevice is 64-bit, OS is 64-bit, has needed memory, CPU processing, and video processing speed, etc.
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_dmSlmr5NcqoU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

Hello, here is a list of phones tested by the French community of mavic mini pilots. The list is evolving. if it can help

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12akXa1yTYDywcRSkEM0Fweku0XEx-tQVT61FI6MC3I0/edit#gid=472617484
2020-7-14
Use props
djiuser_dmSlmr5NcqoU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

I forgot / there are tablets too
2020-7-14
Use props
CatsFPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51493 ft
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-14 02:01
CatsFPV do you have a link to this list of incompatible phones, please? Thanks

I do...but apparently I'm too new to post it. Look up "cult of drone mavic mini dji fly compatible"

2020-7-14
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Somewhere I have seen mention of switching 64bit 'on' when its being off is something instigated by the telephone service provider. I think the providers I saw mention were American ones.
2020-7-14
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CatsFPV Posted at 7-14 09:03
I do...but apparently I'm too new to post it. Look up "cult of drone mavic mini dji fly compatible"

Thanks, bottom half of  https://cultofdrone.com/dji-fly-compatible-device/#list
2020-7-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. This is not the experience we wanted you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to this matter. Upon checking the Samsung S10e is not listed on the DJI recommended device list. The said mobile device may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said mobile device during flight. Rest assured that the DJI R&D are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said list in the future. For more information about the recommended device, please refer to the image posted below. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

2020-7-15
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-15 01:23
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. This is not the experience we wanted you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to this matter. Upon checking the Samsung S10e is not listed on the DJI recommended device list. The said mobile device may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said mobile device during flight. Rest assured that the DJI R&D are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said list in the future. For more information about the recommended device, please refer to the image posted below. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

[view_image]

I see Sony Xperia for the first time as compatible device, is their 21:9 screen ratio supported?
2020-7-15
Use props
jvdbogartgmail.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10283232 ft
United States

Buy that Google Pixel 2. That's the phone I use, and it works flawlessly.
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

virtual Posted at 7-15 03:54
I see Sony Xperia for the first time as compatible device, is their 21:9 screen ratio supported?

Hi. Thank you for the additional inquiry. With regards to this query. I would suggest to please use the recommended mobile device from the said list to ensure the stability and comparability of the DJI Mavic Mini during flight. Thank you.
2020-7-15
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

The phone I use with the Mini is a Moto X4. It's not on the compatibility list (in fact, no Motorola's are). And yet it works. I haven't had any issues flying it.
2020-7-16
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-15 23:45
Hi. Thank you for the additional inquiry. With regards to this query. I would suggest to please use the recommended mobile device from the said list to ensure the stability and comparability of the DJI Mavic Mini during flight. Thank you.

Thank You, Paladin. I'm using Xperia XZ2 phone and it works very well. Support for Xperia 1 is great news!
2020-7-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

virtual Posted at 7-16 02:03
Thank You, Paladin. I'm using Xperia XZ2 phone and it works very well. Support for Xperia 1 is great news!

You are more than welcome, I am happy to know that your previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or inquiry with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum, we are here to help. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-7-16
Use props
djiuser_iu61quxQXpEl
New

United States

Works well on my essential PH-1.  Didnt see my phone on any of the lists.
2020-7-17
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

The ipad mini 3 works a treat.  
2020-7-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.  No need to over complicate.  If you somehow do a workaround for it to work, you might lose the drone.
2020-7-26
Use props
Mavic Menta
lvl.1

Italy

Comprei um Mavic Mini há dois dias e, não sei se pelo meu celular ser o S9+, não consigo conectar o drone ao controle. Alguém poderia me auxiliar, por favor? Já atualizei o firmware dos dois, mas não conecta.
2020-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules