Taking care Mavic Mini batteries by using smart charger IMAX B6 type
5594 6 2020-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raulvolador
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4771427 ft
Spain

Mini batteries are fragile and expensive and they need extensive care and maintenance.

DJI wall charger or DJI HUB charger are not perfect. From the begining I dream with charging Mini batteries usin my beloved Smart Charger, as I did with all my RC flying toys.

My Smart Charger is a Thunder AC6, a clone of the popular IMAX B6. Recently I updated it to cheali-charger 2017 firmware version.

As you must know, a Mavic Mini battery is composed by two Li-Ion 3.7V cells serial connected into a plastic enclosure including an specialized charging board. Only way to access is trought a six pin DJI non-stardard connector.

Main challenge with Mavic Mini batteries is looking for a suitable connector.

Building your own Mini connector can become a nightmare. In this video I'll show you my trick for getting a proper high-quality Mavic Mini connector buying a cheap chinesse car charger (about 20 euros)

Once you get a proper connector, building a charging cable and configure smart charger is easy, as you can see in the video.

I'll teach you how to charge/discharge at different current rates depending on the rush you're in, becouse long charges will allways enlarge your battery life due lower temperature.

Key feature is charger STORAGE program, that will take your Mini battery to 3.75 volts optimal level for long keeping, according to DJI manuals recomendations.

StartRC homepage:  www.startrc.com

R.
2020-7-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

But You need to connect each cell through balancing port for the proper maintenence...
2020-7-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there raulvolador. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative information with us.  Just a reminder that there is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party chargers if it will charge the said batteries all the time with no issues and using 3rd party chargers might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.
2020-7-14
Use props
raulvolador
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 7-14 00:17
But You need to connect each cell through balancing port for the proper maintenence...

You are right

But unfortunatelly, it's not possible accessing each cell separately. This is battery connector pinout:

Mavic Mini battery connector pinout

Mavic Mini battery connector pinout

It seems cells balance it's done by DJI propietary board inside battery case.

R.
2020-7-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-7-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

raulvolador Posted at 7-14 02:11
You are right

But unfortunatelly, it's not possible accessing each cell separately. This is battery connector pinout:

Yes but this means that charger doesn't know when the cell hits the preset voltage (3,75V), it only knows that pack overall voltage is 7,5V and this is very similar to half-charge state that is suggested by DJI for storing batteries.
I mentioned here on forum that best option would be if user can choose storage or full charge mode with proper connection.
2020-7-14
Use props
raulvolador
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 7-14 08:59
Yes but this means that charger doesn't know when the cell hits the preset voltage (3,75V), it only knows that pack overall voltage is 7,5V and this is very similar to half-charge state that is suggested by DJI for storing batteries.
I mentioned here on forum that best option would be if user can choose storage or full charge mode with proper connection.

Totally agree with you.  Lucky owners of the mavic mini full combo have a Hub charger they can use for discharging batteries. Carefully timing it's possible leading Mini batteries to 50% capacity storage point.
Unfortunatelly, owners of Mavic mini single package only have a Wall charger. For us only way of discharging is fly. That's the main reason i build this cable adaptor.

Best regards.

R.
2020-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules