Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Choppy video
718 6 2020-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

I captured a video on my Spark (1080p30). My shutter speed was 1/800 and iso was 100. I noticed the video was choppy. Is there anything that is causing this? Does a high shutter speed cause problems? Thank you.
https://www.skypixel.com/pilot/videos/share/look-at-this-amazing-piece-i-shot-with-my-spark-b62b8e01-2c67-4bfe-8720-cf8a69d1e9ad?account=djiuser-1fozkivcnulw
2020-7-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

High shutter speeds can cause stuttering effects - use an nd filter - an ND8 would have brought down the shutter speed to be double the frame rate
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is a couple of reasons (possible) for this:
1. You edit in different framerate than you record (for example, spark records 30fps and you edit 25fps). This will cause the editor to drop 1 frame every 6 frames, which causes stuttering.
I think this is NOT your problem though.
2. The changes in between frames are too big plus you have a fast shutterspeed so the movement is not percieved 'smoothly' by your brain.
I think this is what is happening heren.
There are 3 things you can do about this:
a. Lower the shutterspeed to about double the framerate. So with Spark this means about 1/60s  (30fps * 2)
This will introduce small motion blur that makes the image feel 'smooth' to your brain.
You need ND filters to achieve this.
b. Move very slowly.
That will make for less difference between 2 frames, making for less stuttering.
This would be my first test. Move slowly. Both drone movement and gimbal movement.
You can try the tripod mode!
c. Use faster shutterspeeds (not possible on Spark)

So my advice would be to try 2.b first. If that does not help enough. Buy a set of good ND filters.

2020-7-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, you are not alone with this problem.
I think this is the question that is most asked on the forum.
People are not used to having a camera that can move steadily but fast and experience problems that come with this type of movement.
So it is not a DJI issue, if you would strap your smartphone to a smooth moving object and make it rotate in a steady motion, you would get the same problem.
That is why filmmakers use ND filters to overcome this problem.
(but I have to say, slowing down usually saves the day and is much more cheap / convenient).
2020-7-17
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

I can’t afford ND filters. I looked at a set of polarizing filters from PolarPro. I like polarization because the colors really pop out and water looks better. It was 50 dollars. Many other generic brands sell them for a lot cheaper but they are nothing more than just glass and cause problems with gimbal overload. I could probably afford them though a little bit later.
2020-7-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sparkflier Posted at 7-17 13:05
I can’t afford ND filters. I looked at a set of polarizing filters from PolarPro. I like polarization because the colors really pop out and water looks better. It was 50 dollars. Many other generic brands sell them for a lot cheaper but they are nothing more than just glass and cause problems with gimbal overload. I could probably afford them though a little bit later.

Polar pro filters are very expensive - search Amazon for cheaper brands - they all do the same thing
2020-7-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

It would have helped if you included a clip showing the problem you have, because if you are panning to fast, for example.
Panning is hard to do properly.
This vid shows a close up scene at a very fast shutter speed, no ND filters and not much skill, but no judder or stutter.  https://youtu.be/YBlNuYXRgdQ NB in 4k, but due to YouTube,  it has lost the sparkle of the original. I hope it helps.
2020-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules