DJI Fly for Mac and Hi/Lo Res
986 14 2020-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

Hi. Two Questions.
I am finally getting around to working on editing video footage from my Mavic Mini. I have watched several videos tha show how to use the DJI Fly app on an iPhone or iPad. I have those but would prefer to use my Mac. Have seen videos that show pulling the footage into iMovie to edit it but would like to use the DJI Fly interface as it seems more integrated and simple to use (like having templates). Does anyone know if a version of the Fly app exists for editing footage on a Mac?

Are the low res files automatically removed from your phone using time or some other variable? Not sure all my low res files are being saved. For posting to social media, should I edit and use the low res or high res? What guidance might the forum have on when to utilize the low res vs. when to utilize high res. If my phone had unlimited space, I suspect one might always use high res, but not sure that is the case.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Brian
2020-7-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately it's only available on iPhone or iPad. Most of us
just pull the SD card and get the footage from that. I myself don't
cache any videos on my phone because it's low res. Facebook only
allows 1080p videos,
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I am sorry to say, as Woe advised at post #2 the DJI Fly application is not available for the MAC. For the query about the cache files these are temporary files that will be updated when DJI Fly application receives live feed from the drone. Thank you
2020-7-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always best to take the footage straight from the micro sd card
2020-7-16
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 7-15 05:26
Unfortunately it's only available on iPhone or iPad. Most of us
cache any videos on my phone because it's low res. Facebook only

Thanks. So do you use a Mac package like Final Cut or iMove to edit the footage or the Fly app on a phone or tablet? Appreciate your Responses!
2020-7-16
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 7-15 05:26
Unfortunately it's only available on iPhone or iPad. Most of us
cache any videos on my phone because it's low res. Facebook only

What Platform/software do you use for editing footage? Thanks for your response!
2020-7-16
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-15 22:56
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I am sorry to say, as Woe advised at post #2 the DJI Fly application is not available for the MAC. For the query about the cache files these are temporary files that will be updated when DJI Fly application receives live feed from the drone. Thank you

Thanks. To confirm, the cache files are created via live feed over WiFi connection  from drone to controller to phone,  right? My question was whether or not the app preserves all of the cache (low res) footage until the user deletes any files or does it use some kind of housekeeping algorithm to remove automatically say based on passage of time without accessing them? It seems like some of my original cache files are no longer on my phone but I don’t believe I deleted them.  Also, what do you use to edit footage from Mavic Mini? Thanks again!
2020-7-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BSDickinson Posted at 7-16 03:06
Thanks. So do you use a Mac package like Final Cut or iMove to edit the footage or the Fly app on a phone or tablet? Appreciate your Responses!

I mostly use iMovie, but I also have Filmora.
2020-7-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BSDickinson Posted at 7-16 03:08
What Platform/software do you use for editing footage? Thanks for your response!

iMovie mostly and Filmora.
2020-7-16
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

It would seem we have a (small) quorum on iMovie and Fimora as preferred editing tools. Will investigate Filmora. Thank you!
2020-7-16
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

BSDickinson Posted at 7-16 03:06
Thanks. So do you use a Mac package like Final Cut or iMove to edit the footage or the Fly app on a phone or tablet? Appreciate your Responses!

I use LumaFusion on iOS and FCP on the Mac.
2020-7-16
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 7-16 07:47
I use LumaFusion on iOS and FCP on the Mac.

Thanks - will have a look at these.
2020-7-17
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

BSDickinson Posted at 7-16 03:08

DaVinci Resolve... free and extremely robust.
2020-7-17
Use props
BSDickinson
lvl.2
United States

WebParrot Posted at 7-17 04:57
DaVinci Resolve... free and extremely robust.

thank you!
2020-7-17
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome :-)
2020-7-31
Use props
Advanced