Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does a discontinued drone continue to receive software updates?
4711 5 2020-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_aEHkBAf4cwOg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 225118 ft
United States

Hi,

I recently purchased a Mavic Air w/ Fly More Combo (about a week after the Mavic Air 2 was released) and I had a couple of questions.

1.) Will the MA continue to receive software updates as it did/would have before the MA2 was released?
2.) If DJI had a team working on those updates, will they still be pushed out with the same vigilance they were earlier?

Basically, I just wanted to know if I just threw $700 for a drone that won't be updated anymore. And yes, I could've just got the MA2 instead, but that's unrelated. Thanks!

PS. in the trade-up program, the value of my "Used/Like New" drone only gets $285? Not worth it at all.
2020-7-15
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

I wouldn't hold my breath...
but in all sincerity, I doubt it.
2020-7-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Based on other models - the Inspire 1, for example, was announced in Nov 2014 - it was discontinued in 2018 and the final FW update was July 2017. As a general rule DJI will no longer do FW updates on drones that they no longer manufacture/sell but they do continue to service them and accessories tend to be available for a good year or two after the discontinuation. The original Mavic Air is 2.5 years old now and was only recently discontinued. Still relatively current but I strongly doubt you'll see another firmware update for it.
2020-7-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1.) Will the MA continue to receive software updates as it did/would have before the MA2 was released?
2.) If DJI had a team working on those updates, will they still be pushed out with the same vigilance they were earlier?

Updates aren't on ongoing program, constantly making your old drone even better.
They are to fix problems that are discovered after release of the product.
When the drone has been out a while, there isn't much more that needs fixing.
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. As more advanced DJI products are released, older products reach their End of Life ( EOL ). But the product is still available on the DJI's official online store, DJI will continue to provide after-sales service and updates for it . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-7-15
Use props
simplezed
New

United Kingdom

interesting question, but how that could be?
2021-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules