Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-S Shake/Jitter
7155 37 2020-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Hello,

I've owned the Ronin-S for a few years now and never had any stabilization problems until now. The footage appears slightly shaky/jittery. I've used my Ronin A LOT over the last couple of years and have never had this issue until now.

Like many others, I have done countless tests and trials to no avail. I've tried suggestions offered on similar threads and I feel like I'm missing something.

Basically I'm wondering if DJI or a user has any valuable input on this? I looked up older footage I've shot using the Ronin-S just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and the older footage is buttery smooth even when walking at a fast pace follwing subjects.

I'd like to think firmware updates are the culprit but I've rolled back to multiple past firmware versions that I know I've used with no problem, but with those the problem persists.

Thanks

2020-7-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe it is a hardware problem (since it seems like you have tried everything else already)
2020-7-15
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-15 23:34
Maybe it is a hardware problem (since it seems like you have tried everything else already)

I’ll edit my post as I can see how it’s misleading. What I meant by tried it all was I have tried every suggestion offered on threads similar to my issue. I have a hard time believing it’s a hardware issue. Thanks for your response.
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

melvinbrinson Posted at 7-16 05:52
I’ll edit my post as I can see how it’s misleading. What I meant by tried it all was I have tried every suggestion offered on threads similar to my issue. I have a hard time believing it’s a hardware issue. Thanks for your response.

You are still using the same lenses, body etc. as when you shot the footage that was smooth?
2020-7-16
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-16 07:16
You are still using the same lenses, body etc. as when you shot the footage that was smooth?

No I was using a 6d mark ii with a prime 35mm back when it was smooth. I did however go back to that setup when troubleshooting yesterday and the problem persists. At first I thought maybe it’s a weight issue but I’ve seen people use mirrorless bodies with small lenses and have no problems.

Maybe the newer firmware options require much more fine tuning than what’s offered by the balancing and autotune of the motors in the app? I’m going to continue more tests today. I will not give up! And thank you for responding. Much appreciated
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

melvinbrinson Posted at 7-16 07:26
No I was using a 6d mark ii with a prime 35mm back when it was smooth. I did however go back to that setup when troubleshooting yesterday and the problem persists. At first I thought maybe it’s a weight issue but I’ve seen people use mirrorless bodies with small lenses and have no problems.

Maybe the newer firmware options require much more fine tuning than what’s offered by the balancing and autotune of the motors in the app? I’m going to continue more tests today. I will not give up! And thank you for responding. Much appreciated

I don't own a Ronin myself, but am facinated by problems that 'appear' out of nowhere.
We have this a lot in my line of work (IT) but there is always something that triggers it.
Usually human action.
2020-7-16
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-16 10:19
I don't own a Ronin myself, but am facinated by problems that 'appear' out of nowhere.
We have this a lot in my line of work (IT) but there is always something that triggers it.
Usually human action.
Exactly. 9 times out of 10 it’s human error. I work in the audio/video industry and we share that fascination.

I’m hopeful that future firmware updates could potentially fix this if it is not on the fault of mine and many others.
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

melvinbrinson Posted at 7-16 10:29
Exactly. 9 times out of 10 it’s human error. I work in the audio/video industry and we share that fascination.

I’m hopeful that future firmware updates could potentially fix this if it is not on the fault of mine and many others.

Hope so too!
2020-7-16
Use props
Cephas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been getting this micro shakes/jitters as well. I have never had this issue before. I have been trying different settings but the jitters are still present. I'm going to try to roll back to a previous firmware where I didn't have this issue.
2020-7-18
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Cephas Posted at 7-18 22:24
I've been getting this micro shakes/jitters as well. I have never had this issue before. I have been trying different settings but the jitters are still present. I'm going to try to roll back to a previous firmware where I didn't have this issue.

I’ve tried that as well with no luck. Hopefully it solves your problem. Post your results here so we can keep this thread alive and hopefully get some answers!
2020-7-19
Use props
ElHolyCow
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

i own the Ronin-S since it was released. I started using it with a Canon 5dm4. It was a joy to watch the footage. Recently, i bought a Sigma fp and use the same Canon lenses with the Sigma EF to L mount converter. I noticed, that with the fp, the footage was never as stable as with the 5dm4. Maybe due to its smaller size, the fp is really hard to keep steady, even if the Ronin app tells that balance for all axes is excellent. I also keep the firmware up to date on the Ronin-S but the footage never got as good as with the older firmwares and the older app (with the old UI). Not sure if it’s software related or if the Ronin-SC would be the better choice for a smaller camera like the fp or the X-T4.

Sorry if this doesn’t help you any further. I just share my experience. Hopefully, this will get fixed soon.

Best regards.
2020-7-19
Use props
ElHolyCow
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

i own the Ronin-S since it was released. I started using it with a Canon 5dm4. It was a joy to watch the footage. Recently, i bought a Sigma fp and use the same Canon lenses with the Sigma EF to L mount converter. I noticed, that with the fp, the footage was never as stable as with the 5dm4. Maybe due to its smaller size, the fp is really hard to keep steady, even if the Ronin app tells that balance for all axes is excellent. I also keep the firmware up to date on the Ronin-S but the footage never got as good as with the older firmwares and the older app (with the old UI). Not sure if it’s software related or if the Ronin-SC would be the better choice for a smaller camera like the fp or the X-T4.

Sorry if this doesn’t help you any further. I just share my experience. Hopefully, this will get fixed soon.

Best regards.
2020-7-19
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

ElHolyCow Posted at 7-19 08:23
Hello,

Thanks for the post. I honestly don’t think it’s a weight issue, though. I’ve seen super light setups and the users not experiencing any issues.
2020-7-19
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

be shure you have switch off IBIS in your FujiFilm X-T4 !
2020-7-20
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Indio Posted at 7-20 03:28
be shure you have switch off IBIS in your FujiFilm X-T4 !

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have only used it with it turned off!
2020-7-20
Use props
djiuser_f4E28JQXYukn
lvl.1
France

Hi there. Any feedback about the problem you had ?

Cheers
2020-8-8
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_f4E28JQXYukn Posted at 8-8 08:59
Hi there. Any feedback about the problem you had ?

Cheers
Unfortunately nothing that I haven’t already tried. Just the usual. Sent it in for repair and I should be receiving it hopefully today.

If the problem persists I’m just going to switch to a different gimbal manufacturer. I can’t use something praying that the footage is fine when I get home.
2020-8-8
Use props
Nokaf
lvl.1
France

melvinbrinson Posted at 8-8 09:01
Unfortunately nothing that I haven’t already tried. Just the usual. Sent it in for repair and I should be receiving it hopefully today.

If the problem persists I’m just going to switch to a different gimbal manufacturer. I can’t use something praying that the footage is fine when I get home.

Damn. I send mine back in the shop i bought and they gave me a new back...The jitters and shaking are still there...As you said i really wonder about a firmware problem...
2020-8-8
Use props
Nokaf
lvl.1
France

Nokaf Posted at 8-8 09:07
Damn. I send mine back in the shop i bought and they gave me a new back...The jitters and shaking are still there...As you said i really wonder about a firmware problem...

By the way i found no information about when to use the riser plate...Do you have any info about it?
2020-8-8
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Nokaf Posted at 8-8 09:10
By the way i found no information about when to use the riser plate...Do you have any info about it?

Yea I think something weird is happening with their firmware updates. Every time I update a new problem arises. I recently rented a Ronin-S and it does the same thing.

All the riser plate does is just raise the camera body so a wide big lens does not touch the longer ronin-s mounting plate.
2020-8-8
Use props
Nokaf
lvl.1
France

melvinbrinson Posted at 8-8 09:18
Yea I think something weird is happening with their firmware updates. Every time I update a new problem arises. I recently rented a Ronin-S and it does the same thing.

All the riser plate does is just raise the camera body so a wide big lens does not touch the longer ronin-s mounting plate.

I see ! Thanks for the help.

I tried today two setups: with and without a riser plate and with the lens support (canon 90d and sigma 18 35).

Results:
- the riser plate changed nothing
- the lens support had a little less shakes, but this not as smooth as a gopro stabilisation ...
2020-8-8
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Nokaf Posted at 8-8 09:24
I see ! Thanks for the help.

I tried today two setups: with and without a riser plate and with the lens support (canon 90d and sigma 18 35).

Yea the riser wouldn’t have any effect on the smoothness and I’ve never used the lens support in the past and had no issues  but did use it while troubleshooting and it didn’t have any effect. Believe me I tested and tried everything it just doesn’t make sense.

Just the fact that the rented Ronin-S is doing the same thing is very odd. Like I said when I get my Ronin-S back I’ll try it and if it has no change, I’m switching.
2020-8-8
Use props
Nokaf
lvl.1
France

melvinbrinson Posted at 8-8 09:31
Yea the riser wouldn’t have any effect on the smoothness and I’ve never used the lens support in the past and had no issues  but did use it while troubleshooting and it didn’t have any effect. Believe me I tested and tried everything it just doesn’t make sense.

Just the fact that the rented Ronin-S is doing the same thing is very odd. Like I said when I get my Ronin-S back I’ll try it and if it has no change, I’m switching.

I will wait for your new tests hope it will work for you !

I’m wondering how the others get smooth shots with their ronin s...?!
2020-8-8
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Nokaf Posted at 8-8 09:34
I will wait for your new tests  hope it will work for you !

I’m wondering how the others get smooth shots with their ronin s...?!

Thanks! Not too optimistic but we shall see.

Yea I'm not too sure how others are getting along. Chatter seems quiet on the forum regarding this issue.
2020-8-8
Use props
Nokaf
lvl.1
France

Hey Melvin. Is your Ronin S finally working?
2020-8-14
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Nokaf Posted at 8-14 22:40
Hey Melvin. Is your Ronin S finally working?

Hey, I have used it a couple of times since I got it back. I’ve used it with my camera ibis on though so not really a good testing. With ibis I still noticed some micro jitters so until I do further testing I’m assuming it’ll be the same.
2020-8-15
Use props
PhilippN
lvl.2

Czechia

I have got the same problem with my Ronin M. Did replacement help - shall I bother?
2020-8-19
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44160 ft
United Kingdom

I too am having micro jitter issues
2020-8-20
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

PhilippN Posted at 8-19 07:38
I have got the same problem with my Ronin M. Did replacement help - shall I bother?

Honestly it did not help. I’ve just been using ibis on my camera to help alleviate the issue.
2020-8-20
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

coffee_king Posted at 8-20 03:33
I too am having micro jitter issues

Sorry to hear that. It seems to be more and more common. Let’s hope a firmware overhaul can fix this.
2020-8-20
Use props
PhilippN
lvl.2

Czechia

melvinbrinson Posted at 8-20 04:48
Honestly it did not help. I’ve just been using ibis on my camera to help alleviate the issue.

Aaw I was afraid of that. Anyway thanks for the update
2020-8-24
Use props
Cephas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

Add my name to the list of people who just recently started experience micro jitters. I’ve had mine since the ronin-s was released and never had issues until early this year.
2020-8-27
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

PhilippN Posted at 8-24 10:32
Aaw I was afraid of that. Anyway thanks for the update

No problem
2020-8-28
Use props
melvinbrinson
lvl.2

United States

Cephas Posted at 8-27 20:48
Add my name to the list of people who just recently started experience micro jitters. I’ve had mine since the ronin-s was released and never had issues until early this year.

Yup. And again this is becoming more and more common. I can only imagine the firmware changes did something to the motors.
2020-8-28
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

add more weight on your camera!
2020-10-22
Use props
Boaz N.
lvl.1
United States

This thread is so relatable. I've tried EVERYTHING to make my footage smooth on the Ronin-S and it still has a noticeable jitter in the footage, especially on the pan axis. x(
2021-4-7
Use props
matador films
New

Canada

I have the same problem.  It just started happening after using my Ronin-S for the last two years.  It vibrates like crazy and I am balancing it with total precision.  Doesn't anyone from DJI respond to these issues?
2023-12-3
Use props
ethan_weitz0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228829 ft
United States

Ive had this as well... not possible to do a new firmware update sadly so i have no clue what to do
3-11 07:45
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules