4150 28 2020-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was out practicing videos tracking my boat today. For some reason the landing pad that I was planning to use was missing when I first needed it. It must have sailed out of the boat when I was gong fast out the channel, even though it was still folded and in it's bag. Oh well. Anyway, it was not very rough and I was pretty sure I could avoid having to hand catch it this time. So...while attempting to bring the MA2 down into the cockpit of the boat to land, the drone slipped toward the "captains" seat. I was not about to let that damage happen. I love the boat more than drone or fingers ;-). So....I jambed my fingers down from the top in an attempt to stop it. I stopped it. Well, it hurt like crazy for a little while and, because I take Plavix (blood thinner), it bled quite a bit...but it was still worth it. In retrospect, I would do it again, it really was not that bad as you can see in the photos. Nothing is going to rip up the upholstery in my boat ;-) And, by the way, no apparent damage to the props either.

index finger cut.jpg
thumb cuts.jpg
2020-7-15
Use props
kiminx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

thanx god. still not really bad.
2020-7-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

One of the short clips, but only partially in tracking mode. Some of the full tracking tests produced weird results (more to follow later). Boat was going 40 MPH, a bit slower than it's max of 55 MPH. The MA2 forward stick was pegged. Crappy editor.

Edit: I just want to try both youtube and vimeo to compare them, sorry for the busywork.

Looks like vimeo is the clear winner. Better video and no popup ads.

2020-7-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice chase. Footage looks good.
2020-7-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 7-15 20:18
Nice chase. Footage looks good.

Thanks, but I need a lot more practice at it. And I have to get someone to drive the boat. It is extremely difficult to operate both at the same time.
2020-7-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-15 20:22
Thanks, but I need a lot more practice at it. And I have to get someone to drive the boat. It is extremely difficult to operate both at the same time.

Wait! You were driving the boat?
2020-7-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 7-15 20:44
Wait! You were driving the boat?

Yep, it was a real bitch too ;-)
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. I am sorry to read and to know that your fingers got stuck and was cut by the propellers of your DJI Mavic Air 2 and thank you for sharing these information with. In addition, thank you for posting the said cool video on post #3. Please stay safe always and thank you for your support.
2020-7-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch.
Had that myself on my first hand catch....
2020-7-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 7-15 20:57

Some say men can't multitask well
2020-7-15
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I took the tip off my pinky with a small racing drone when it powered up unexpectedly. It probably would have not been too bad, but the prop broke leaving a razor sharp edge. Glad you only suffered minor cuts.
2020-7-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch - thats gotta hurt - glad no real harm done though and you made the right choice protecting the boat.
2020-7-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-15 20:13
One of the short clips, but only partially in tracking mode. Some of the full tracking tests produced weird results (more to follow later). Boat was going 40 MPH, a bit slower than it's max of 55 MPH. The MA2 forward stick was pegged. Crappy editor.

https://youtu.be/GrPtTZ-C16Y

Great footage too
2020-7-16
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

One of the short clips, but only partially in tracking mode. Some of the full tracking tests produced weird results (more to follow later). Boat was going 40 MPH, a bit slower than it's max of 55 MPH. The MA2 forward stick was pegged. Crappy editor.

These props are quite large, rigid ...and dangerous, scary situation! I see props in top right corner in footage, was the gimball centered?
2020-7-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch,  Ive done that once open the M2P but luckily it didn't break the skin, hurt a lot though.
2020-7-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

That's some skills
2020-7-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch, close call with a blackened finger nail.

Would an Alum stick work for you?

2020-7-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

One of the short clips, but only partially in tracking mode. Some of the full tracking tests produced weird results (more to follow later). Boat was going 40 MPH, a bit slower than it's max of 55 MPH. The MA2 forward stick was pegged. Crappy editor.

cool video!  controlling 2 toys at the same time !!  

cheers
JJB
2020-7-16
Use props
NiNo Brown
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33942267 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely footage tho...
2020-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-15 23:35
Some say men can't multitask well

Why men (or women) shouldn't...

2020-7-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The above video of the boating incident has been discussed in huge detail on the boating forums I frequent. There are many opinions about it but the main problem is that the approaching boat rides very high in front and the captain cannot see what is in front unless he/she is standing. This operator was seated at the time in addition to being inattentive.

If you think about it, there would have been a real benefit to have had a camera up high and pointed ahead to allow the captain to see what is not only directly in front but also to the front sides a bit. I wonder what kind of device could be used for that ;-)

2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gheghegheghe.
I won't try that at home.
Or on a lake for that sake.
2020-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-16 08:17
The above video of the boating incident has been discussed in huge detail on the boating forums I frequent. There are many opinions about it but the main problem is that the approaching boat rides very high in front and the captain cannot see what is in front unless he/she is standing. This operator was seated at the time in addition to being inattentive.

If you think about it, there would have been a real benefit to have had a camera up high and pointed ahead to allow the captain to see what is not only directly in front but also to the front sides a bit. I wonder what kind of device could be used for that ;-)

"This operator was seated at the time in addition to being inattentive."

The point I was trying to make.  
Next time, I'll focus on finding a better video.  Little busy this time flying drone, driving down highway, and talkin on cell.  

PS: Bummer about those fingers.  Hope props weren't damaged too!

For next time

2020-7-16
Use props
flyby-md
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329997 ft
United States

I also recently tried my hand at boat/drone navigation.  Not that hard but landing gets tricking in a tight space fighting wind and current.

2020-7-16
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I'll bet that with my "old" P3A with those hard props, the damage would have been much worse!  Glad to know, actually, that the props will make welts but barely break the skin.  
2020-7-16
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

You got your MA2 to go 40 mph?  I can not get mine to go over 26 mph.  Something is wrong with mine...
2020-7-16
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

2020-7-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bob37 Posted at 7-16 16:14
You got your MA2 to go 40 mph?  I can not get mine to go over 26 mph.  Something is wrong with mine...

Mine is usually in sport mode, up to about 43 MPH in the logs depending on the wind direction. Normal mode is slower.
2020-7-16
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

Today I switch to sport mode for the first time.  I was at 250 feet, so not danger. I hit 43 mph!  So cool!  I am so unacquainted to this new bird.  239 flights with my P3A but this MA2 is amazing.  I flew 1.5 miles away and a total of nearly 3 miles in one flight!  
2020-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules