534 8 2020-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

While I was attempting to use tracking of my boat underway, I noticed this bizarre set of movements after the MA2 lost the tracking. It happened 3 times, so it was not a fluke. It points the camera straight down and rotates in a circular motion back and forth. At first I thought it was just trying to recapture the lost target, but now I wonder if it was trying to determine it's height above the water. In all 3 tries, the MA2 seemed to lose tracking due to higher speeds of the boat or turns it could not manage. That part was expected, but not what followed. By the way, it was set to hover on loss of signal, but there was no loss of signal.

2020-7-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I just found a couple of interesting things in the flight log. During the fast following at about 35 mph, the baro altitude was about -5 feet. But perhaps more interesting, is a sudden change in "sonar" vision altitude from 19 feet to 9 feet in about 1/2 second that stuck until loss of tracking. Perhaps the drone couldn't trust either sensor?

Edit much later: JJB corrected me in reading the log file. It appears that Airdata continues to show the last known VPS height after the drone loses that height reading (too fast?), so when it regains the height reading, it is updated. He showed me the flag in the log file that indicated the VPS was not functional during the higher indication.

2020-7-16
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think I can explain what happened there.
The drone lost track of subject, after losing the subject it tracking is locked on the map where it lost the subject.
In your case, it lost the boat but it's locked the tracking on that point of water which is 0:55s in your video. So when you manually fly over it, it is still locked to that point and gimbal starts to look down to the locked point.
2020-7-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please try flying the drone in a different location over land to isolate the issue. Just a friendly reminder to please fly with caution over bodies of water, the reflective nature of the water may affect the performance of the drone. I have posted an image below for more information about the FocusTrack. Thank you and safe flying.

2020-7-16
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Reflexive surface (water) confused sensors?
2020-7-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 7-17 01:34
Reflexive surface (water) confused sensors?

Thats what I think too
2020-7-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Might be the reflection.
Is it behaving the same without tracking?
2020-7-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have never seen those movements before even while tracking while I was standing at my dock. But then this was also closer to the water surface than anytime before.
2020-7-17
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vision systems start working under 30ft,  yes?

Before it stopped....the altitude was lower and lower as it was flying forward....then stopped and appeared confused.  Glad it stopped because it appeared to be going in the drink.

Randy
2020-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules