Questions: lenses and frame rates
755 3 2020-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

I've had my Inspire 2 for a while now, and have run into a few small problems/issues and wondered if anybody might have answers or solutions to them.

My first question is in respect to lenses--say I want to "hot swap" lenses on the X5S without turning off the I2 (I think I've seen clips in DJI WRC videos before of this happening). Is that possible? When ever I do it, either DJI GO 4 or actual software in the drone doesn't recognize the new lens. I'll get a live feed; however I can't change any settings or focus. To get it going again, I have to restart the drone. It just slows the process down, and I wondered if there is a way around this issue.

Second question is more about videography. I've been mainly shooting in 3840x2160 24FPS with a 1/50ths shutter speed on a SanDisk Extreme 128GB V-30 XCSD. But, I've noticed that I've been getting a bit of a jumpy look to the footage (clips attached). I was thinking maybe the shutter speed it too fast or my micro SD isn't quite powerful enough. But, to what I've read, both should be ok (24 x 2 = 48 and 100 MB/s write speed). Any ideas? And is it correct that if I am shooting 24FPS I should be in NTSC?

Or, maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me.

Thanks in advance,
-David

2020-7-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

1. Hot swapping lenses never works reliably enough. You must shut down the system and reboot.
2. Film stuttering is unavoidable with camera panning or with fast passage while pointing straight down. Naturally significantly higher frame rates will help, but that's not the option with Inspire's 4K full frame video. Notice that the moving object you're trying to follow (vehicle) remains stable. Try 30fps option anyway.
3. Longer lenses will expose stutter/shakiness more than wide ones.
4. Simply avoid fast sideway passages, unless you are tracking a moving object. POI approach (manual or auto) delivers much more palatable film, particularly with longer lenses.
5. SD card type or NTSC/PAL setting has nothing to do with said stutter effect. Naturally use the fastest SD card available. Why would you employ PAL anyway?
6. Safety tip: don't play with the devil flying under or near power lines LOL.
2020-7-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Oh, no problem at all! You're welcome!
2020-7-20
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-19 12:05
1. Hot swapping lenses never works reliably enough. You must shut down the system and reboot.
2. Film stuttering is unavoidable with camera panning or with fast passage while pointing straight down. Naturally significantly higher frame rates will help, but that's not the option with Inspire's 4K full frame video. Notice that the moving object you're trying to follow (vehicle) remains stable. Try 30fps option anyway.
3. Longer lenses will expose stutter/shakiness more than wide ones.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Past couple days I’ve done some stuff at 60fps and that comes out a bit smoother like you said. Too bad hot swapping lenses doesn’t work. And yeah—I was eye-level with the wires, but still probably won’t be doing that again
2020-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules