DJI’s Father’s Day Free Battery Promotion
1124 16 2020-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3DGDAD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32907 ft
United States

I saw the promo on Sunday, 21 June, that read, “Buy a Mavic Mini, get a FREE Intelligent Flight Battery”!  Great deal as it saves you $45!

I selected the Mavic Mini link on the web page and was taken to another page that gave me a choice of buying the standard Mavic Mini package or to select the Mavic Mini Fly More package.  I chose the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo package.

I went thru the normal identification, shipping and payment pages and eventually got to the ORDER page.

It took four days to ship to me.  I unboxed the package and noticed I only had the three batteries that were supposed to come with the Fly More Combo package, but not the free battery for the Father’s Day promo!

The next day, I drafted up an email and sent this to DJI Support asking when I could expect the battery.  Later that day, I received a reply stating they had registered my issue (meaning they opened a ticket) and will respond back as soon as possible.

About one week later I get the first of several replies from separate support agents, all using essentially the exact same format (a canned response), of a message stating the free battery was only for the Standard Mavic Mini option, not for the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.  

There was no mention on the DJI Store webpages that stayed this.  To be sure, I pulled up their webpages, as they appeared on the the 21st of June (by using Archive.org’s Wayback Machine) I was able to confirm that there was indeed no mention that the promo was only for the Mavic Mini Standard option.

I replied back to these agents hoping that they would read my replies which included snapshots of the two pages I had to navigate through to purchase my Mavic Mini Fly More Combo drone.  But each reply was responded to with the same response.  

After going back and forth with DJI Support, three times, I have decided to post my problem in the official DJI Mavic Mini Forum and in the MavicPilots Mavic Mini Series Forum.  

DJI Support refuses to accept that their marketing team, or whoever is responsible for putting these promos onto their website failed to add that statement “Only for the Standard Mavic Mini” to the Father’s Day Free Battery promotion announcement.

If you have read this far, thank you and please respond to this question.  Should DJI honor their offer of providing a free battery to anyone who purchased a Mavic Mini, Standard or Fly More Combo package, during the promotion period?

Again thank you for reading this post.  Please stay home and stay safe.  Your life and the lives of your loved ones may depend on it.

3DGDAD
Wade Fallin,
US Navy, Retired
2020-7-17
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41512 ft
United Kingdom

Yes they should.
2020-7-18
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hello, I think they are obliged to honor their offer if it was not mentioned that it did not spank part of the fly combo on their site . To see according to the law of your country
2020-7-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi 3DGDAD, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have managed to get your ticket number via your forum account, our team has explained in the email, sorry again that the free battery promotion only for the Mavic Mini, the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo is not included, really appreciate your kind understanding.
2020-7-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 7-18 02:00
Hi 3DGDAD, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have managed to get your ticket number via your forum account, our team has explained in the email, sorry again that the free battery promotion only for the Mavic Mini, the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo is not included, really appreciate your kind understanding.

Aloha Natalia,

Just on background, in the United States - one of your biggest markets - the first person who documents a marketing mistake by a vender (DJI), gets the documented sale price.  This is as 3DGDAD did in this case.

Other customers do not ride on the coattails of the documenting customer and get a benefit.  Only the documenting customer, as 3DGDAD did in this case, gets the sale price.  No other customers should get the sale price.

DJI may want to reconsider their policy decision in consideration of the traditional practices of your dominant market, the US.  The loss of customer confidence resulting from what the US market would consider a "betrayal of trust" may be a problem downstream for DJI.  

Considering the minor monetary amount of the transaction, and that it is only awarded to the customer who discovers the DJI marketing problem, the benefits to DJI, of awarding the battery, would seem to far outweigh the possible and actual DJI monetary losses due to loss of customer trust.  DJI can instead choose to award the battery to 3DGDAD for his effort in helping DJI document and resolve the problem fairly.

In the US, we call it, "fair is fair!".

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-7-18
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Make a GOOD WILL Gesture for YOUR Marketing Vagueness/mistake DJI ..   
For the sake of a miniscule drop in the ocean for you.. It'll be the difference between getting slated (BAD PR), vs.  Praise and applause for your making good the error..
I think you should DO it...   Send the extra Battery!
2020-7-18
Use props
Art Vandelay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95492 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 7-18 02:00
Hi 3DGDAD, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have managed to get your ticket number via your forum account, our team has explained in the email, sorry again that the free battery promotion only for the Mavic Mini, the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo is not included, really appreciate your kind understanding.

Hey DJI,

There's a saying we have here in America about winning the battle but losing  the war.  You're going to lose MUCH more money in reputational damage by having this go public than to give the guy a battery (and rightfully so).  Duh.

2020-7-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just give the guy the battery.
2020-7-18
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

2.7 billion (source Forbe) turnover in 2017, $45 a battery, you weren't going to go bankrupt for so little. Be a good company assume your mistake and send it a battery.
2020-7-18
Use props
3DGDAD
lvl.1
United States

3DGDad here,

Many thanks for the support shown thus far. It is humbly appreciated. Posted below is text I copied from one of my many emails DJI Support and I swapped over the past three weeks.

Start of copied text:
If the free battery offer was only meant for the Standard Mavic Mini, then why provide a link to buy the Fly More Combo from the page (the second snapshot)?
I felt it was time to upgrade from my DJI TELLO and I wanted to purchase a DJI Mavic Mini.
I go to Store.DJI.com & select the Mavic Mini page (see the first snapshot below).
On that page I see a Father’s Day offer of a Free Battery. I click on the “Buy Now” button.
The next page (the second snapshot), I select the Mavic Mini Combo. There is no “Oh, BTW the free battery is only for the Standard Mavic Mini” notification, pop up or anything else. So you see, I don’t see how you can tell me that the free battery was only for the Standard Mavic Mini, after the fact.
End of copied text
Attached below are the 2 snapshots
437E0BC7-4CAC-45D9-A52D-8958AE0F5FB3.jpeg
CD2DD860-48A0-40E1-8C46-088F1F0946DA.jpeg
2020-7-18
Use props
Mavic.ca
lvl.4
Canada

I received my Mavic Mini Fly More Combo from DJI the same day as this sale started.  I contacted DJI to see what the cost of returning it would be (as I hadn't even opened it yet) and then getting a new one with the free battery.  That is when they informed me that the deal was for the Mavic Mini only.  After re-looking at the deal, it does say that it is for the Mavic Mini and does not mention the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.  If you look at page where you select the combo, it  list it as the Mavic Mini or the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo, so I guess this what they meant.  But I totally agree that this should have been clarified better. I wonder how many people got messed up by this.
2020-7-18
Use props
3DGDAD
lvl.1
United States

Mavic.ca Posted at 7-18 08:01
I received my Mavic Mini Fly More Combo from DJI the same day as this sale started.  I contacted DJI to see what the cost of returning it would be (as I hadn't even opened it yet) and then getting a new one with the free battery.  That is when they informed me that the deal was for the Mavic Mini only.  After re-looking at the deal, it does say that it is for the Mavic Mini and does not mention the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.  If you look at page where you select the combo, it  list it as the Mavic Mini or the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo, so I guess this what they meant.  But I totally agree that this should have been clarified better. I wonder how many people got messed up by this.

Mavic.ca,

No where on the DJI Store’s webpages did it state that the offer was limited to only the Standard Mavic Mini package.  Once I selected the Buy Now button, I was presented with a webpage that offered two options.  One option was the Standard Mavic Mini package and the second option was the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo package.  Based on that, I believed that meant the offer was eligible for either package.

I hope DJI eventually got you the package you wanted.

3DGDad
Wade Fallin
US Navy, Retired
2020-7-18
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

By the OP buying the more expensive FlyMore combo,  the COST to DJI for the "FREE" battery is far less than him buying the Mini w/1 battery and getting a free batt......

GIVE THE MAN HIS BATTERY.   Your cost IS $9 OR LESS usd......

Randy
2020-7-18
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

3DGDAD, I agree with you as it was definetly not specified. I purchased without the combo, because I didn't really want some extras. I probably should have purchased the fly more combo & yes I would have been expecting an extra battery!
2020-7-20
Use props
3DGDAD
lvl.1
United States

Again, thanks to everyone who has posted their comments supporting what I feel I should be given the free battery.

DJI Support,

Three weeks ago I warned you after I kept getting the same form message replying to my messages about the free Father’s Day Battery, I was going to post my complaint into the DJI Mavic Mini and the MavicPilots Mavic Mini Forums.  That post went up four days ago.  As of the writing of this post, there are 9 posts from forum members that believe DJI should make this right by sending me the free battery.  There is only one post that does not, which came from a member of your Support team.  

Any other decent company would by now have had the courtesy of getting a department manager/executive to reach out to me, via private email or a personal phone call, to discuss my issue.  During this entire time, DJI has not done either.

(Continued in the reply below)
2020-7-22
Use props
3DGDAD
lvl.1
United States

3DGDAD Posted at 7-22 04:24
Again, thanks to everyone who has posted their comments supporting what I feel I should be given the free battery.

DJI Support,
(Continued from the above message)

If I don’t hear back from DJI by the end of day, today, with a solution favorable to my issue, my next post concerning this issue will be to mainstream social media, such as your Facebook page, Twitter account and Instagram account.  I might go as far as to list each of the Customer service Team Members I’ve had the pleasure to to receive the same email, from in that post.

I know sending an email to Tao Wang would be useless as almost all CEOs have their email filtered prior to being delivered and read by them.  So instead, I’ll locate a Marketing Executive here in the USA that hopefully understands that ”The Customer is always right!”  

Please understand I don’t normally get this spun up about an issue but in one email I received from DJI Support, I was told:  The Mavic Mini Fly More Combo comes with three batteries in the package which is “sufficient enough for your flying needs”.  Really?  
Good day,

3DGDad
Wade Fallin
US Navy, Retired
2020-7-22
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I salute you Wade. Ex-coastie here. DJI needs to come to the world stage in these matters. The very best companies don't quibble about pennies when the customer satisfaction is at stake. The business world is full of companies that failed to treat the customer well and extinguished eventually. DJI....look at Amazon and try to emulate them in policy. Don't let "Caveat Emptor" become your defacto motto.
2020-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules