Buying Phantom FC40 for Xmas, need some advice please
2095 8 2014-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LoveDon
New

United Kingdom

Hi i am looking to buy the Phantom FC40 for Xmas

I have ordered the new GoPro - the 4K resolution one, will it be able to be mounted on the FC40 from day one, does it come with the attachment?
Also, Gimbles, what are these? Do they steady the footage, or allow the camera to rotate?

I want to start a secondary business of Aerial videos etc, and am looking to do my CAA licence, so i need as much versatility in the camera as possible.

So out of the box, will the FC40 have everything i need to get it flying on day one, with my existing gopro?
Do i need a Gimble straight away? Will the gimbles allow me to move the camera when the drone is airborne?

Thanks in advance

Nick

2014-11-20
Use props
LoveDon
New

United Kingdom

Anybody have any answers?
2014-11-20
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Out of the box the FC40 will allow you to get a First Person View of flights (streamed video from the camera), and record video in 720P definition.  

The video will be quite jerky because the camera is mounted in a fixed position and every movement of the quad will cause the camera to also move.  Upload to YouTube and you can use their features to remove much of this movement.  It works well but is not perfect.
Here is an example of a stock video with youtube stabilization applied.  

A gimbal allows the camera to stay level regardless of what happens with the quad and will improve the video quality.

I have bought a Walkera 2D Gimbal which is designed to work with the GoPro.  You can pick this up for between $70-$85 and it will require some simple soldering etc. to properly set up, but it should be something well within the capabilities of most people.
2014-11-20
Use props
cbx1963
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Also remember that the FC40 runs on 5.8Ghz so if you wanted to Fpv you would have to use 2.4ghz video tx/rx
2014-11-20
Use props
LoveDon
New

United Kingdom

Hello thanks for the info much appreciated , it all makes sense to me so far apart from what you said about 2.4ghz video? The camera I have ordered is the new go pro that shoots in 4k resolution . Can I use this?

Also , with the phantom fc40 is it possible to buy a gimble that will allow you to rotate and move the camera whilst in flight?
2014-11-21
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoveDon Posted at 2014-11-21 18:57
Hello thanks for the info much appreciated , it all makes sense to me so far apart from what you sai ...

Yes.  Lot's of gimbal options out there.
2014-11-21
Use props
LoveDon
New

United Kingdom

ok what would be a good cheap option? sorry for all the questions but i am a total noob when it comes to this
2014-11-21
Use props
cbx1963
lvl.2

United Kingdom

it all makes sense to me so far apart from what you said about 2.4ghz video?

The Fc40 Phantom runs on a Frequency of 5.8Ghz Transmit and receive to control the aircraft the actual FC40 bit is the camera, that can transmit video to an Android or apple phone with an app this uses Wi-Fi at 2.4Ghz. Now if you want use your GoPro there isn't a problem so long you don't want use it for Fpv say with some Goggles as most of the kit available uses the same 5.8Ghz frequency as your Phantom controller.

Having said all that there are other fpv options out there that run on different frequency's :- 900 MHz 1.2 Ghz  1.3 Ghz 2.4 Ghz 5.8 Ghz
But as far as I know 2.4Ghz is illegal in the UK.

I'm no expert I've only had my Fc40 for 3 weeks but if were you I'd try find a Phantom V1.1.1 or as I have done convert the phantom to 2.4Ghz. hope all this kinda makes sense and if anyone else can help feel free to put me straight.
2014-11-21
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple answer - if you truly want to take smooth video with your GoPro, buy the P2 along with the zenmuse gimbal. You are asking for trouble in doing all the mods to the FC40 and getting a cheap gimbal.
2014-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules