DJI FPV JR Transmitter Module
8085 24 2020-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

DJI FPV Controller is not the best solution for those of us who still fly non-DJI-FPV things and don't want to carry around 2 radios, but as we build smaller and smaller crafts with this System, those ~2 grams of extra weight carrying a separate receiver and antenna are becoming more and more significant. It would be fantastic if there was a JR bay TX module (like Crossfire, R9, 4in1 multi modules etc.) that could bind to receivers in Air Units. Alternatively, if some info on the protocol could be shared with a bit of tech support on DJI's side, I'm sure the developers behind multiprotocol module firmware would love to work on DIY support for it. Please DJI, consider this in any shape or form. So many more of us would be using the built-in receivers in our Air Units if something like this existed. Thanks.
2020-7-18
Use props
jffry7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27566 ft
Singapore

That requires a hardware update specially the antenna since DJI operate on 5.8Ghz on both data and video signal, right? Other uses 2.4Ghz, 900Mhz++ and 800Mhz++. As most of us we just put in our receiver (futaba, crossfire, frsky, flysky, etc) on the model, bypass the DJI air unit for radio control and leave video signal for it.  If DJI do indeed implements this, wouldn't this just raise the cost further?
2020-7-18
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

If it was added to the open source multiprotocol modules, it would require a hardware update for them, yes (just like they recently did by adding 900MHz chip to it and making it 5in1 instead of 4in1). Or it could be a new DJI-only module made by DJI itself, like Crossfire/R9. I don't see how it would raise cost as it would be an optional thing just like the full DJI FPV Controller is now. You could still use your futaba/crossfire/frsky/flysky/whatever receiver, but you would have an option to buy a TX module instead of a full DJI FPV Controller and you could then save money on each build by not having to include a separate receiver.
2020-7-18
Use props
Ruhr
lvl.2

Germany

Great Idea! I also use 2 Transmitters. Could also be a solution for telemetry data on the Transmitter with a Display. But there is also the OpenTX - Team who has to develop it.
2020-7-19
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Ruhr Posted at 7-19 02:32
Great Idea! I also use 2 Transmitters. Could also be a solution for telemetry data on the Transmitter with a Display. But there is also the OpenTX - Team who has to develop it.

Great point about telemetry. DJI could implement it in OpenTX and do a pull request for OpenTX team to merge. Or it could possibly even use the existing SBUS protocol between radio and TX module.
2020-7-19
Use props
Ruhr
lvl.2

Germany

jffry7 Posted at 7-18 19:14
That requires a hardware update specially the antenna since DJI operate on 5.8Ghz on both data and video signal, right? Other uses 2.4Ghz, 900Mhz++ and 800Mhz++. As most of us we just put in our receiver (futaba, crossfire, frsky, flysky, etc) on the model, bypass the DJI air unit for radio control and leave video signal for it.  If DJI do indeed implements this, wouldn't this just raise the cost further?

Almost every TX-Module got its own chipset with Antenna-placement. Putting a 5,8 ghz antenna on the Module is not a problem. Like u have to to it with a 900 mhz Antenna on a CF or R9M Module.
2020-7-27
Use props
ECHO_II
lvl.1

United States

I concur with this post. I would definitley use it since I am already paying for the receiver anyway.
2020-10-1
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 7-18 19:24
If it was added to the open source multiprotocol modules, it would require a hardware update for them, yes (just like they recently did by adding 900MHz chip to it and making it 5in1 instead of 4in1). Or it could be a new DJI-only module made by DJI itself, like Crossfire/R9. I don't see how it would raise cost as it would be an optional thing just like the full DJI FPV Controller is now. You could still use your futaba/crossfire/frsky/flysky/whatever receiver, but you would have an option to buy a TX module instead of a full DJI FPV Controller and you could then save money on each build by not having to include a separate receiver.

The protocol likely does not support two way communication for telemetry, so if this option was available, it would still not be as functional as Crossfire or R9. I think the range is less than Crossfire and R9 as well, although it seems to be better than most 2.4ghz options. I doubt that there would be as much interest in it as you think if it did not support telemetry.
2020-10-1
Use props
Sendorm
lvl.3

Turkey

We have osd telemetry so a telemetry option on the transmitter itself is not that necessary. I would gladly use such system if it gives better or same range as xm+. Would be a no brainer if it had similar range and delay as crossfire though.
2020-10-2
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sendorm Posted at 10-2 04:00
We have osd telemetry so a telemetry option on the transmitter itself is not that necessary. I would gladly use such system if it gives better or same range as xm+. Would be a no brainer if it had similar range and delay as crossfire though.

It doesn’t seem worth it if you can get another module for the same price or not much more and have telemetry. It’s more reliable for saving GPS data and allows settings to be changed from the remote.
2020-10-2
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Ain't gonna happen.
2020-10-4
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Tom_A Posted at 10-2 19:00
It doesn’t seem worth it if you can get another module for the same price or not much more and have telemetry. It’s more reliable for saving GPS data and allows settings to be changed from the remote.

It doesn’t really need telemetry or any other extra features to be useful. It’s just an alternative to the full DJI radio for people who already have a radio they like and want to keep their builds simpler/lighter. Seems like a no brainer to me.
2020-10-4
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I’m trying to look at from DJIs point of view. It would be useful for some users, but would reduce sales of their controller. They could spend the time working on a transmitter module to make alternative HDMI out solutions which I believe more users would be interested in. I saw a test of how interference affected the FPV system, and powering up analog next to a DJI pilot could cause a failsafe. Without GPS, that does not matter because you have also lost video, but with a GPS, you could activate GPS rescue in some situations even if it’s not convenient to have that as a failsafe. I have the DJI remote and have not had any issues, but have been flying without any other pilots being around most of the time.
I have added R9 to all my 5" quads except one that is a trainer for other pilots.
2020-10-4
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

I'm happy with my Tango 2 Pro and crossfire. DJI controller is bulky as hell considering it doesn't even have a screen.
But I support your idea, nice one!
2020-10-4
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Tom_A Posted at 10-4 12:05
I’m trying to look at from DJIs point of view. It would be useful for some users, but would reduce sales of their controller. They could spend the time working on a transmitter module to make alternative HDMI out solutions which I believe more users would be interested in. I saw a test of how interference affected the FPV system, and powering up analog next to a DJI pilot could cause a failsafe. Without GPS, that does not matter because you have also lost video, but with a GPS, you could activate GPS rescue in some situations even if it’s not convenient to have that as a failsafe. I have the DJI remote and have not had any issues, but have been flying without any other pilots being around most of the time.
I have added R9 to all my 5" quads except one that is a trainer for other pilots.

I don't think it would reduce sales, as people who are happy with their radios right now probably aren't gonna switch to DJI just to save ~2.5 grams per quad. But if a module was available, it would be a no brainer to get for most people with existing radios as you then have a free receiver in all your DJI quads, and new people would still probably just go for DJI radio.

As for people powering up on your channel when you fly... you need new flying friends
2020-10-31
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Looks like multi protocol module devs aren't even going to bother https://github.com/pascallanger/ ... 42#event-3844108144

Please DJI, you're our only hope
2020-11-2
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 10-31 22:49
I don't think it would reduce sales, as people who are happy with their radios right now probably aren't gonna switch to DJI just to save ~2.5 grams per quad. But if a module was available, it would be a no brainer to get for most people with existing radios as you then have a free receiver in all your DJI quads, and new people would still probably just go for DJI radio.

As for people powering up on your channel when you fly... you need new flying friends

I've never had anyone power up next to me. I've been flying alone lately anyway. It's just that I have seen this demonstrated in a video. When I first got the system, I wanted the quads to look cleaner by not having the extra receiver and antenna, but now I wonder why I waited so long to upgrade some to R9. The extra functionality is definitely worth it. I still like the DJI controller for smaller frames.
2020-11-4
Use props
RichieC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What would be very cool is, if DJI made a Transmitter module that also had a HDMI output on it, so you could not only use your own transmitter for the RC link with the air unit, but also get a video feed from it to display on a monitor or goggles with HDMI input etc. Maybe even have a connection for a LIPO battery so it can be used without the transmitter, just to provide the HDMI output...
I know this might reduce the sales of the DJI goggles, but it would be cheaper to produce than the goggles (doesnt require displays etc) and suspect they would sell alot of these units as it would mean that people would be able use their existing goggles.
2020-11-19
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

RichieC Posted at 11-19 03:05
What would be very cool is, if DJI made a Transmitter module that also had a HDMI output on it, so you could not only use your own transmitter for the RC link with the air unit, but also get a video feed from it to display on a monitor etc. Maybe even have a connection for a LIPO battery so it can be used without the transmitter, just to provide the HDMI output...

I mean I wouldn't mind that as I'd like a module anyway (even though I caved and got the DJI radio for my micros recently and actually ended up switching even 5" to it, just keeping the old radio with crossfire for LR builds now), but I think it would make more sense to make a spearate usb-c to hdmi dongle for everyone to use.
2020-11-19
Use props
RichieC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 11-19 03:08
I mean I wouldn't mind that as I'd like a module anyway (even though I caved and got the DJI radio for my micros recently and actually ended up switching even 5" to it, just keeping the old radio with crossfire for LR builds now), but I think it would make more sense to make a spearate usb-c to hdmi dongle for everyone to use.

From what i've read, I don't believe it's possible to make a simple USB C to HDMI dongle for the DJI goggles, as the googles don't have a HDMI bridge which is required to make that work. This is why you need the smart controller currently to get this functionality, as it includes the HDMI bridge component. However if they were to make a transmitter module with HDMI output it could include this component.
2020-11-19
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

RichieC Posted at 11-19 03:12
From what i've read, I don't believe it's possible to make a simple USB C to HDMI dongle for the DJI goggles, as the googles don't have a HDMI bridge which is required to make that work. This is why you need the smart controller currently to get this functionality, as it includes the HDMI bridge component. However if they were to make a transmitter module with HDMI output it could include this component.

Apple makes lightning to HDMI dongle that has an ARM chip and HDMI module in there, it's not like it hasn't been done before.
2020-11-19
Use props
RichieC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 11-19 03:14
Apple makes lightning to HDMI dongle that has an ARM chip and HDMI module in there, it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Its possible .. but likely to be more expensive as it wouldnt be just a simple usbc to hdmi adapter...
2020-11-19
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

RichieC Posted at 11-19 03:23
Its possible .. but likely to be more expensive as it wouldnt be just a simple usbc to hdmi adapter...

The one from Apple is $49. Pretty sure DJI can make one for $99 or less. But really they just need to make it cheaper than the Smart Controller
2020-11-19
Use props
RichieC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 11-19 03:24
The one from Apple is $49. Pretty sure DJI can make one for $99 or less. But really they just need to make it cheaper than the Smart Controller

I agree, the Smart controller is complete overkill just to get HDMI output - I wouldn't mind so much if you could actually use it to control the drone with the smart controller, but i doesnt do anything with the DJI digital system other than display video!
2020-11-19
Use props
djiuser_UfA5xHNicpUM
New

Bulgaria

Ruhr Posted at 2020-7-19 02:32

Like this answer. Still struggling to get telemetry data ON my video (now with record button of iOS because i have old controllers on my old but stable and totally reliable Mavica Pro’s). Thx. +je
2021-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules